Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Impedance on madison cab + Mesa 50/50 (answered)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Impedance on madison cab + Mesa 50/50 (answered)

Guys, really need your help here:

I have a Mesa 50/50. This has two 4 ohm outputs and one 8 ohm output for each channel.

Also I have a Madison Cab. It has two 16 ohm stereo inputs or one 8 ohm mono input.

It seems to me like running the setup in mono would be no problem. However I am not sure about stereo. My specific questions are:

1) If I connect the cab as it is in stereo, that is, put a load of 16 ohms to each channel of the Mesa, will I blow it?

2) If it doesnt blow, what will happen to my tone?. I imagine that putting the 16 ohm load will draw less power from the tubes and therefore most likely kill my tone but I have no experience to tell...

Thanks, help is very much appreciated, really need it here.

[ April 23, 2003, 04:57 PM: Message edited by: rodrigo_echeverri ]

Re: Impedance on madison cab + Mesa 50/50 (answered)

I also am a proud owner of the mesa 50/50!

Sure is a piece of art, a?

Here is my suggestion and explanation...

I bought a classic B marshall cab with 4x25W speakers. I really was fascinated by the sound and the price of the cab.
    Everything sounded great!
    But it was mono!

And i was just in buying a mesa 50/50!

What to do!
    I went to y local tech that specializes in cab repairments and he told me that was nothing of a problem if i wish to epiriment a bit, and not to be afraid of blowing mesa neither the cabs.

The speakers are 16 ohms, right?
    And they are connected through mono output(which basicly represents the input from your poweramp in to the cab, right? And that is mono!
    So what he would do is to connect a 2 pairs of 16 ohms speakers separetaly (2x 2x25W speakers) with two separated inputs.
    And with your mesa being stereo that is ultra fine if you ask me!

Oh about the impedance, the pair of speakers now needs an 8 ohm impedance which is perfect if you look at the rear panel of the mesa!

And some extra good idea, is to put two different pairs of speakers in your cab. (they all must be 16 ohm), and to your liking.
    I mix the greenbacks with the vintage 30's!
    AWESOME

I'm playing for about a year now with this setup and did not break, blow up NOTHING!!!!

yet.

Ups there goes my 6L6.....
    hahaha

As far as your idea is concerned i really have not tried it yet but never heard that something would go wrong!

By the way how are randall's doing, i mean musice wise...?

Comment

The mesa is awesome but unfortunately I have only played other people's and never my own yet. I am in san francisco right now and my cabinet is in Vancouver. I have the Mesa here with me but no speakers for it... I will know next week when I get back to BC and put my rack together.

as for what you said here:

yes, all that would work if my cabinet was a 4x12 and I could rewire. That is actually something I would do myself...

However, my little madison is a 2x12. Therefore, connecting stereo = one speaker/channel and no possible changes to the impedance by connection things in series and so on!... In this case I am pretty much stuck with 16 ohms per channel unless I change the speakers.

I agree with what your technician said except one thing: I think that if you connect a 4 ohm set of speakers (or any combination with final impedance = 4 ohms) to the 8 ohm output of the Mesa you will definetely overcharge it and most likely blow it.

Comment

About the ohms...

Ofcourse if they are 4 ohms.
        I was talking about my 16 ohms!

If you have 4 ohms speakers and mesa's 8 ohm output say something nice to the speakers 'cause it will be the last thing they will hear!

I never had the chance haering the randall cabs.
        Any good?

Comment

oh
          and being in SF and all, what the hell are you doing up so late?
          [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/sleep.gif[/img]

Comment

Dear Rodrigo:

answer to your question is:

When you have a load mismatching that is not detrimental (as in higher impedance in the cabinet than required), your tone will get more "bassy" and will loose some of the high end. That's it.

Cheers,

Have fun

[ April 23, 2003, 05:00 PM: Message edited by: rodrigo_echeverri ]

Comment

Working...
            X