Decent preamp with stereo outputs and Jackson Amp gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decent preamp with stereo outputs and Jackson Amp gear

I wanted to get some feedback on what are some decently priced (that is, I mean cheap!) preamps with a good metal chunk and has stereo outputs. I'm currently using a Mesa 50/50 with separate cabs, hence the need for stereo outputs. I know the ADA MP-1 is a popular choice for decent preamps, but I'm not much of a MIDI guy. Actually, I'd prefer a non-MIDI device with just a footswitch for distortion/clean switching.

I was using a Digitech RP20 floor processor and still use it from time to time, but I never use many of the effects except for chorus for clean and reverb. So I was wondering if there was an analog preamp, preferably rackmountable that people were happy with.

A while back I found a used unit which has some of the things I'm looking for in a preamp, but I'm still tinkering with the sound settings and tubes. It's JX-3 Stereo Preamp by Jackson Electronics. Not Lee Jackson, but Jackson as in named after this forum. Here's a link to an old Ebay auction I found with a picture of the unit:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=23790

I'm curious of what people know and think of the Jackson amp gear in general. I have found virtually no info on these amps and preamps, just what the reviews at the Harmony Central tells, which is very little.

Regarding the JX-3, it's got 2 12AX7A tubes that have a Jackson silkscreen label on them. I'm gonna borrow some Ruby tubes from a friend and see if that will change the tone of it. So far I like the unit, and especially like the effects loop with a stereo return.
    "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Re: Decent preamp with stereo outputs and Jackson Amp gear

USA R o c k t r o n V o o d u V a l v e

Cheap
    Stereo
    Preamp

Comment

Here's some others to watch for:

Soldano SP-77, Kasha Rockmod II, Bogner Triple Giant, all in the ~$400 range. Those aren't really cheap, but they're less investment than you probably have in the poweramp. (The Kasha's will occasionally go for dirt cheap since they're unknown.)

In the cheaper end, you can watch for the Peavy Rockmaster (3 channels, all tube)and also the Carvin preamps. Carvins are fairly inexpensive new and have poor resell value, so you can score some good deals on them.

Ross

Comment

hey, what the hell is that pre-amp in the link???.. I never saw one but that seems pretty sweet!... the colors are so 80's that I almost cried when I saw the link. Hey, if you wanna sell I would like to hear more about it!...

Only thing I know about Jackson stuff other than guitars is that people seem to drool over the cabinets. I am dying to have one. They have like this really tough construction... I have seen auctions go on e-bay for those and people seem to bid pretty hard on them...

Comment

Thanks for the recommendations, Cleveland Metal and rstites. Is there specifically a USA version of the VooduValve versus an import? Just curious.

Rodrigo: Yeah, the "what the hell is this?" is the first thing I said when I saw it for the first time too! I'd figure what the hell and try it out. The reviews from HarmonyCentral ranged from good to damn good, so I figured I'd give it a shot.

The entire Jackson amp line has either a large shroud of secrecy or disinterest over it. I'd bet on the latter. It's interesting that these amps/preamps are never a topic of discussion at this site of their namesake. I only ever seen some talk about their cabinets. They did have a small line of equipment as listed at the HC reviews though as shwon at this link:

http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data/Jackson/

Either they are the best kept secret out there and everyone's keeping hus about it (doubtful!), or the company never made enough of them for people to be aware of them to be popular, Or they just weren't that impressive-sounding.
          "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

FWIW, I'm using a JX-3 now as my main preamp. The clean is ok but the crunch and Burn work really well. They do really sound best to my ears with the stock Chinese Jackson logo'd tubes they came with though.

I plan on picking up an additional one soon.

Comment

Well, USA "LTD" (older model) and "Online" Voodus have Made in the USA on the back... The last couple years, they've been made in Korea, they still call them the Online series though... Stay away from the new Korean ones. They are pretty much crapfully made in comparision.

Comment

Cleveland, i must say, following your numerous preamp/amp advices and posts throughout this forum is one of my favourite pastimes. You come through with a lot of knowledge and it's like you have tried almost every freakin' amp out there! Keep it up brother [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

[ April 16, 2003, 03:08 PM: Message edited by: jackson1 ]
                Henrik
                AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

no ****, have you heard anything he has recorded?... John is the man dude!... BRUTALITY is the word for his tone!...

Stuart also knows how to pull out some pretty good stuff out of his setup.

[ April 16, 2003, 10:41 PM: Message edited by: rodrigo_echeverri ]

Comment

I'd agree with Ross - he and I seem to have similar tastes in preamps. I'll add one other - the Sansamp PSA-1. Very good analog preamp, and very versatile as far as sounds. It's also programmable.

Comment

I've bought and sold Sansamps. Good for a DSP type of preamp. Just sold one that I used for two years in my rack. They still sound fake to me, sorta lacking in character and have that SS sound, bleh. Closest to a cool preamp of the true SS preamps.... I like that PUNCH control that gives you the depressed wah sound on them.

SP77s are far from enough crunch and gain for newer heavy metal stuff, Queensryche maybe... The Triple Giant is closer to the mean crunch... Kasha is up there too. All three are nice true tube and natural sounding.

If you want brutal... The Voodu is cool, But, you sacrifice some of the natural sound of the aformentioned preamps and they have their idiosynchrasies. Excellent for the dough for a brutal MIDI preamp. I have mine still. But, now I lean to the CAE3+se for a pretty brutal yet natural sounding distortion and metal sound. It's quite unique though. Sort of a more brutal Bay area sound with sweet leads... Shame they cost so much for a three channel preamp, and aren't midi...

That Peavey Rockmaster preamp @ around 100 bucks is getting some thoughts lately just to hear it. I heard it was basically a 5150 preamp section??

Thanks for the nice words guys, made my day!

Comment

Thanks for all the replies/comments regarding the preamp advice. They've all been helpful!

I'm also glad to hear someone else has the JX-3 pramp and likes the tone. I too didn't find the clean very impressive, but I thought there was a big sound improvement on both channels when I popped in the Chinese-made Ruby tubes. Maybe the original tubes that came in my unit were worn out?
                        ANyway, tinkering with this unit will keep me occupied until I have sufficient funds and time to try these other preamps.

Comment

MetalMedal II...That JX-3 went for a GRAND THEFT PRICE !!!!...i have ONE mint LIKE IT, BUT I WON'T sell it for $75.00 !!!!! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Contact me at [email protected] if you care to persue it...I ALSO have a USA Soldono SP-77 preamp I MIGHT part with...WATCH OUT on these SP-77s...The REAL USA ones SAY "Made in USA", and have an LED POWER LIGHT...The Japanese ones say "Made In Hollywood" {I THINK}, but can be identified by having a "jeweled" power light, like an old Fender amp...

[ April 17, 2003, 11:59 PM: Message edited by: Doc Dryer ]

Comment

I think all of the US SP-77s are purple faced and all of the Japanese ones are silver. I'd still double-check, but everyone I've seen has followed this trend. The Kasha lead channel definitely had plenty of gain, but I'd think you might need some outboard gear to tighten it up for rhythm. The 2nd channel is plenty tight for rhythm, but is similar to the SP-77 lead channel. You know, I don't think I ever used that channel beyond about 2:00, but then I play modern hard rock more than the extreme metal.

I don't think the Rockmaster is the same preamp as the 5150. I've played them, but haven't owned one and I'm not sure if they're quite there for gain but then it's always hard to tell with different power amps, cabs, rooms, etc. I do know some guys who use them for metal, but all use them with external EQ. A cool feature is that they have separate loops for each channel. Still for $100 it makes a great backup, if nothing else.

For anyone interested, a local store has a Carvin (whatever the three channel ones are) for $250 with footswitch.

Ross

Comment

Ross - You saw that one at the Roseville Music Go Round too, huh? [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] I was gonna email you about that.

The other cool thing I remember about the Kasha is that it had both pre-and post-EQing, so the tonal possibilities were unlimited.

That said, my favorite preamp still to this day is (was) the SP-77. No bells and whistles, but it did what it did VERY well IMHO. I tend to play mostly 80's hard rock/metal, so it was perfect for me. About as modern as I tend to get is probably stuff like Alice in Chains/Jerry Cantrell. Occasionally Godsmack too - I couldn't hope to get Rectifier buzz-crunch with it, but that's okay. I don't care for that sound much these days anyway. I'd take Mesa Mk.IV's all day long before any Rectifier. I don't mind the Line 6 model of the Rectifier, but I usually use the Soldano model about 80% of the time, the Marshall JCM800 and Rectifier settings split the other 20%. The Rocktron Replitone, on the other hand, is a totally different animal... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

[ April 18, 2003, 08:35 AM: Message edited by: chris_olson ]

Comment

Working...
                              X