Killer Tube Power Amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Killer Tube Power Amp

OK, I built this thing from scratch, so I am a little bit shall we say... biased. Heheh, a tube joke. Seriously, see what you guys think.

I wanted a tube poweramp to run the fx send from my Egnater to a lower wattage amp. My egg is 100 watts, and to get the thing loud enough to get some power tube saturation would get the neighbors, cops, and national guard called out to my place. So I started looking at the low wattage power amps, and saw two: Mesa 20/20 and the Marshall one. Both have stuff on em I wouldn't need, and are still too damned loud. A friend of mine has one and gigs with it - giggable volume is call the cops volume around here.

So, I built an all tube power amp, with a minimum of parts/features to keep the tone as tube-laden as possible. I also set the voltage a little bit low so it 'browns out' the sound - think VH. It only does this when it's cranked. Eddie, according to legend, used a variac to reduce the voltage to his Marshall so it would distort easier. What the heck, I tried it with this amp. Instead of running the 6V6 at over 400 volts like Fender did with some Silverfaces, it's under 300. The amp gets a really cool vintage power-tube melting tone when cranked, but you still have enough volume for home practice and recording. Here are some clips:

CLEAN channel on the egnater, into a cranked power amp, with tons of controllable feedback:
    http://members.cox.net/twisteramps/feedback.mp3

CLEAN channel on the egnater, playing single coils, and really SLAMMING the guitar hard on parts. You can hear the dynamics here... 2nd time around I cranked the power amp to full blast, first time was around '7':
    http://members.cox.net/twisteramps/littlewing.mp3
    btw, the amp DOES play cleaner than this... 7 is the edge of breakup, notice how the harmonics are really clean and crisp.

Clean channel on the egnater, cranked with a humbucker in the power amp. Check out the vintage 'amp on fire' tones here. Not for everyone (metal guys will HATE this tone) but it sure sounds cool for older rock:
    http://members.cox.net/twisteramps/p...poverdrive.mp3

And finally, 3rd channel (think JCM800) on the egnater cranked into the poweramp set fairly low (on 3):
    http://members.cox.net/twisteramps/powerampeggie3.mp3

One neat trick is to get say an overdriven sound like above, then dial in JUST enough power amp breakup to saturate the notes without losing definition.

Check the classifieds here for more info... I thought you guys might find the sounds/background interesting.

Pete

[ April 14, 2003, 12:44 AM: Message edited by: OklaStrat ]

Re: Killer Tube Power Amp

Pete - Ya got a bad link on the last one - it's the same file as #3, the powerampoverdrive.mp3 [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Sounds killer otherwise. But I wanna hear the last one [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Newc
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Fixed it dude. Thanks!

Pete

Comment

"Un-CHAINED duh duh duhduh Nothin Stays the SAME!" [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

SWEET!

Newc
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

Yeah, another cool thing about it is that you can dial in how much saturation you want the tone to have. Get your best preamp tone, then turn the volume up on the little 6V6 poweramp until it crunches as much as you want. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Pete

Comment

Wow!! That is cool as all get out!!

Comment

Have you swapped the 12ax7 for a 12aY7? Any noticeable difference in the tone?

Newc

Comment

you can run a 12at,12au,12ay or 12ax7 as the driver tube. The power amp will stay cleaner longer with the different tubes.

You can also run a 6L6 or EL34 in there, but at the lower voltages it doesn't sound as good (IMHO) as the 6V6 does.

I've also built a higher voltage one, but it doesn't do the cool 'overdrive' like this one does.

Pete

Comment

How much are you looking to get for it? I know you put considerable R&D time and money into it.

Newc

Comment

Dude, you are my ****ing idol!.... you built that?.. it sounds awesome!.

Would it be too much to ask for the circuit diagram?... I would like to try making one. Maybe I will have some more ideas and share with you.

Really good job man, you are thorough!...

Comment

Originally posted by rodrigo_echeverri:
                      Dude, you are my ****ing idol!.... you built that?.. it sounds awesome!.

Would it be too much to ask for the circuit diagram?... I would like to try making one. Maybe I will have some more ideas and share with you.

Really good job man, you are thorough!...
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Thanks for the kudos. Not sure I want to spread the schematic all over just yet - basically it's a Class A cathode biased poweramp with a medium gain drive circuit. I may make/sell some kits or just a turret board ready to install into a chassis with a schematic... still mulling over my options.

Pete

Comment

Pete,

I just want to learn, I would maybe pay for the diagram but I dont have much money right now. If you want to charge me for your guidance building one that would be interesting... how much are the parts to build one of these things?

drop me an e-mail please I would like to discuss more:

[email protected]

Comment

Awsome work man! I really like your 3rd channel, it sounds really good.
                          You should start selling some kits, I know i'de but interested!
                          Keep up the great work man...you'll be the next Jim Marshall!

Comment

Hey Pete, that sounds great! I have a couple of ignorant questions:

1) Your other thread said it's 4 watts RMS with a 6V6; what's the wattage with a
                            6L6 or EL34? I know you said they don't sound as good, but just curious about the possibility. Also would you have to rebias if you switched, and how hard is that for a non-tech-oriented guy to learn, or is it just best to take it to a tech?

2) Is it feasible, and how much would it cost, to add a variable voltage control
                            and perhaps a bias switch to ease power
                            tube swaps?

Sounds wonderful just as it is, and you may have your finger on the pulse of an untapped market! I just had those questions pop up. Thanks,

Rich
                            Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by lerxstcat:
                              Hey Pete, that sounds great! I have a couple of ignorant questions:

1) Your other thread said it's 4 watts RMS with a 6V6; what's the wattage with a
                              6L6 or EL34? I know you said they don't sound as good, but just curious about the possibility. Also would you have to rebias if you switched, and how hard is that for a non-tech-oriented guy to learn, or is it just best to take it to a tech?

2) Is it feasible, and how much would it cost, to add a variable voltage control
                              and perhaps a bias switch to ease power
                              tube swaps?

Sounds wonderful just as it is, and you may have your finger on the pulse of an untapped market! I just had those questions pop up. Thanks,

Rich
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hey Rich!

Wattage depends on plate voltage and tube type. Newc's poweramp is running at a low enough voltage that you won't really get a drastic difference wattage-wise with an EL34 or 6L6. The 6V6 in that circuit sounded so much better than the other tubes, it was better to just say 'leave a 6V6 in there'. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

All the power amps I'm doing currently (heheh, current) are cathode biased. That means within an average range, the tubes will self adjust. The best part of this is no trips to a tech to get the amp rebiased - it happens when you change tubes.

Voltage drop isn't a real big deal - you take a zener diode and run it between your center tap on the power transformer and ground. between 50 and 100 volts can be taken out this way. There are a ton of little things that can be done like that, I was just shooting for a straight out tone monster with few options.

Right now I'm final tweaking a high voltage version that will handle just about any normal octal power tube other than the 6V6, due to it's lower voltage handling. The high-voltage one has been tested with EL34s, 6L6GCs, KT88s, a 6550, and a KT66. It also has a much larger set of transformers, and should put out around 10 watts RMS, give or take a watt.

Pete

Comment

Working...
                              X