THD Yellowjackets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THD Yellowjackets

What's your experience using these? Good sound? No problems?

I'm thinking buying some for my Marshall 9100 but i haven't heard them yet. I also wonder if they will fit inside or touch the top plate.

Also, will the "voicing" switch on the 9100 work as intended with the THD's?
    Henrik
    AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Re: THD Yellowjackets

I put a quad of Yellow Jackets in my VHT 2/50/2 power amp, wanting to get it to have more of the tubey feel and thickness of my Mesa 20/20 that's EL84 powered, with the added sound options and overall clarity of the VHT. It nailed all those goals perfectly. The feel of my setup with the VHT became more tubey feeling, spongy, responsive, and the lows seem to have a little more natural deep thud to my ears.

I'm not familiar with your amp, so I can't say if they will fit in there physically alright. In my VHT, the tubes stick horizontally towards the back toward the fan, and I actually had to move the fan to get the Yellow Jackets w/ tubes to fit in there. They do make a "short version" Yellow Jacket, but they cost a bit more, and I really don't think they would have fit anyway in my VHT, but the difference (1/2" I think) might be the difference you need.

They make Yellow Jackets in standard version, as well as "power reducing" type, which is what I got, so I could crank a little more juice at lower volume.

You can call THD and ask them about the dimensions or other info.

Here is the place I got my Yellow Jackets from...

http://www.musictoyz.com/

Comment

Thanks for the good info, bro! I didn't know about the power reducing type - great idea. I think they are too tall for my 9100, so i am a bit stuck. But i want them! Hmmmm.... gotta think, i am considering changing the power amp.

I have 4 power tubes in the stereo 9100 - 2 per channel i guess. Shouldn't it be OK to remove one tube from each channel to reduce output power? Anyone?
      Henrik
      AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Yeah, when they're standing up in there, you're even more stuck than I was with the VHT trying to fit em in mine hehehe. But give THD a call and check...the short version ones might not be much longer than a regular tube overall, I dunno.

I don't know anything about taking tubes out in power amps like that, hopefully someone else will chime in here. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
        X