Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alesis (mEQ230 Eq & 3630 Compresor)

I'm going to use it in my rig!

Anyone had any expirience with any of the models or similar.
    What i have to watch out for, have in mind, any suugestions, ideas?

I'm just testing the thing to see how could a maximizer or anything of a sort help my sound get even richer!

A word of advice!

If you are going into rack system, sell your house, 'cause it is going to cost you!
    [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Re: Alesis (mEQ230 Eq & 3630 Compresor)

I have a Alesis MEQ 231, and well, although I've had it forever, and it works ok, I'm not all that impressed and generally don't use it with my rack.

It is not tone sucking at least. It's ok in that area. It's a little noisy, but not bad really. I do know they are truly unservicable if the sliders break. At $100 bucks, hardly worth servicing anyways I guess.

At this point, I'm really pleased with the tonal shaping I've been getting with my old Furman PQ3 parametric. It's really noisy and old, but it sounds really decent on guitar. I'm looking for a TC Electronics 1140 now as it is like 5 bands of parametric eq and known to be really quiet.

Parametrics are really deep. But, they have superior tone shaping for guitar compared to graphic EQs.

Comment

Okay!

But the combination is still better than nothing right?

And so i ask you is a compressor nearly as good as the maximizer?

And another thing!
      Where should i put the eq and the compressor behind or after the preamp?

Best choice to do it?
      guitar-preamp-compressor-eq-poweramp-speaks

Comment

the bad news for you here is that in theory you must have a strong EQ before and one after your preamp... thats why I got a Voodu valve instead of an MP-1... I would say if you only have one EQ available, then place it after the preamp...

"And so I ask you is a compressor nearly as good as the maximizer?"...

You got me lost on that question... again you are talking about different animals!... I would NEVER survive without a good compressor but I could do without a maximizer.

I guess you will need to end up like this:

guitar-comp-mp1-EQ-poweramp-spkrs

Anyway, you ask good questions dude, I enjoy thinking about them... keep up playing around with this stuff and you will probably end up sounding pretty good.

[ April 17, 2003, 02:44 AM: Message edited by: rodrigo_echeverri ]

Comment

10x for the good word.
          I will try do my best in the future.
          Here 's next hahaha

Since the alesisi in stereo, which also means two mono, which also means i could get one in front and one after the ada?

As far as the voodoo is concerned, i have a problem.
          Here in slovenia there are a lot of bands, not as nearly as in U.s ofcourse but if you took under advisement that ony abut 2 mio people live here you would soon figure out that apart from sports music is the main thing around here. Not that that affects the quality much, but i wouldn go there right now.
          About the vodoo, 2 other top bands here owns 1, each guitarist, so their guitars really sound similar. I would not want that if you catch my drift.
          + Apart ada being old and clumsy when it comes to eq- and noise, it's a great sounding amp.

And as far as my general sound is concerned i apreciate the words about me sounding good.
          I have no fear i will someday!

By the way what compressor do you use?
          If i am going to start looking for one to see what is good.

You can see that i also apreciate and take advices from you guys here, because someone can really learn stuff!

As a matter a fact i am going to try out the setup right now!
          It's 12.15 p.m. here

Comment

Yeah, Rodrigo is right, Maximizers and Compressors are very different things.

Personally, if you need either, I'd go to the compressor first maybe. I think it would be more useful. Just not that big of a fan of the BBE stuff anymore.

Although the idea of pre and post preamp EQs is EXTREMELY useful, the reality is that the Voodu has been one of the few preamps to make "good" use of that. I have some expensive preamps (CAE3+se) and have tried to run outboard pre and post preamp EQs ALA the Voodu Valve concept, and sadly, it doesn't work so well. The Voodu has it down. In that situation, I'd have to say to just use the EQ, post preamp.

I've tried the MEQ like you said (one sid post preampand one side pre Preamp) and it was adding much too much noise into the front end of the preamp.

The signal path Rodrigo suggested is perfect.
            "guitar-comp-mp1-EQ-poweramp-spkrs"

BTW, the Voodu has so much built in EQ, you should be able to get away from anyone elses sound that also has one.

But, try to wring out all you can from the the MP-1. You might just stumble on something really cool.

Comment

i finally got the time to plug in!

It sure sound different although i will need some time to adjust all the knobs in my setup to sound it just right!

Next two questions are:
              -how does the compressor differ from maximizer?
              -how come that it's better to compress the first original guitar signal rather than the proccesed one that (in my case) goes out of ada mp-1(preamp). So the signal leaving the ada is not compressed as it would be going in this order
              (guitar-ada-compressor-eq-poweramp-spks)?

I am sure you worked with every possible combination and you can backup what you're saying with tons of expirience.
              So this wont be a hard one, right?

Also, what(which) compressor do you use?
              The one i am using is not meant especially for the guitars. Also it has a noise gate in it.
              And it really is not functionable, because the real noise is generated by the preamp!
              So a plain compressor would be more apropriate!

Comment

Working...
              X