PETE (Oklastrat) IS THE NEXT AMP GURU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PETE (Oklastrat) IS THE NEXT AMP GURU

I got the poweramp he built in today, and lemme tell ya, it stomps a$$!! I'm running my MP-1 through it and it sounds great whether I've got the amp cranked or down at bedromm volume (bedroom in a quiet house in the country with no outside noise except frogs screwing in middle of the night, not that city-boy bedroom volume [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] )
    The only things it can't do at lower volumes is make the cabinet thump and get that neat poweramp distortion, but that's because it HAS to be driven to do that [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Anyhoo, that's certainly not a complaint!

15 watts that sounds like it could keep up with my 100 watt Fender RocPro1000 head! Damn, I gotta go to my drummer's house and check it out in a real live situation [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Seriously, if you guys want an amazing little poweramp, bug Pete to make you one of these little buggers [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Newc
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Re: PETE (Oklastrat) IS THE NEXT AMP GURU

how cool! you should also see his stompboxes too... pete is definitely a mad amp scientist, that's fo sho.

sully
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

All hail Pete!! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Pete Pete he's our man, if he can't build it noone can [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]

From the clips he's posted that little 15 watter is a killer head. I can't wait to see whatelse comes out of his lab....

Matt, you've got the proto now...once Pete's in full production I can only imagine what that heads gonna be worth? You gotta post some clips of your setup with that head now...
        [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
        - Joel
        RIP Donny Swanstrom...JCF bro
        RIP Dime

Comment

Yeah I'm hoping he goes on to that "Zinky/Lee Jackson/Dumble" mythological status so I can cash in on an amp that looks entirely homemade and bears no markings of who made it [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I'm working on clips now [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Been kinda busy enjoying the thing to stop and record anything [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
          I did record a track of rambling stuff with my Fender head just as a base comparator thing, and just got done recording some stuff through the Twister and my GSP21. It's interesting to note the 21 has some sort of internal buffering that keeps the poweramp from overdriving, even when the poweramp is cranked to "11". Cool! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] \
          Distortions still sound better with it cranked, but cleans are still clean! How that's possible, I don't know.
          Next I'm gonna record stuff with the ADA [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I've already been playing through it with the ADA but didn't rrecord anything [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Anyhoo, I'll post clips later today.

Newc
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

Give us some specs on it! Oh and Pete or Olkastrat or whatever you like to be called, check your private messages!

Comment

Specs? 15 watts, 1 12AX7 and 1 6V6 tubes, one input, a knob, one output, a powerswitch, and a metal housing [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
              Sorry, can't give ya SPL or dB levels yet - need to find a meter.

Okay, on Pete's recommendation I ran the Fender's FX loop Send to the Twister, and it does sound better than through the Line out. But with an MP-1 and a GSP-21, who needs a Fender head? [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc

Comment

Hey guys, thanks for the props!

Newc, here's the scary thing on that head... it's putting out around 4w RMS and around 6-7 peak. That's all. Amazing how loud that is, ain't it? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] I'd rather let Newc say how loud it is, but when I was testing it, my wife was getting pretty unhappy about me cranking it - it was loud enough through a 2x12 or a 4x12 to make watching TV in another room with doors shut a difficult experience.

The reason everything sounds better through the Twister is because it has such a simple signal path. I tried to make it as spartan as possible for three reasons:

1) reliability. Less stuff in it, less stuff to go wrong.

2) cost. less parts = less price of parts and less construction time. My amps are based on the thought of hand-made quality and tone at production amp prices.

3) tone. The reason why most amp makers can't build an amp that sounds as good as an 'old' one is, in my opinion, in the complexity of their circuits and the materials used. I know some really high end amps have wonderful tones (bogner, high end soldano, vht) but the average consumer level amp is full of compromises in parts and assembly.

I have a higher-wattage prototype I'm dialing in right now - it uses a 6L6GC instead of the 6V6, and it may be getting a hot-plate type power attenuator built into it, not sure yet. Still tweaking it - it may also get a 'univalve' style option for switching tubes in and out. I know I'm going to offer the 'newc' 6V6 model for sure, but not sure if the higher wattage one is going to be made again.

Pete
                [email protected]

Comment

Okay, then, it's 4 watts [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                  Still louder than sh!t [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                  Seriously you guys, this little thing's packed full of volume. I certainly can use it for bedroom volume and still get a good speaker tone (if I didn't have a headphone amp/mixer/recorder). You know how some amps' distortion gets really smooth and "Metallica" at bedroom volume but turns to elephant farts at stage/jamming volume? The Twister don't do that. You get everything at low volume as you do at "call the cops" volume - except the thump and grind that only the physical properties of a speaker pushing air can give. The distortion of my MP-1 sounds exactly the same at all levels - no smoothing, extra high end, or flubbing (just speaker grumble at max).

If the high-volume model is proportionately louder than this "proto" in relation to its power, I'll be able to hear it all the way from Pete's house [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc

Comment

I can definitely understand what you're saying about the volumes levels for that kinda wattage...I remember from physics III years back the equation for the change in dB in relation to and increase in wattage. There was only a small increase in dB level for every 10 watts increased. It's funny how some people think that a 100W amp will be twice as loud as a 50watter...when in fact there may only be a 4 or 5 dB difference between the two. That's one of the only things I still remember from physics [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Lemme see if I can find that exact equation somewhere.

Matt...I like that logo!
                    Pete...any chance you'll fool around with the idea of building an all metal amp to rival the Uberschalls? I'd be so interested in that! Even just a 10-20 watter or so.

- Joel
                    RIP Dime

Comment

Quick Physics lesson for the day:

I'm sure most people won't care, but I found the equation for sound level...

Beta=(10dB)log(I/Io)

Io=basically the threshold of human hearing (10^-12 W/m^2)
                      I=the intensity of the sound wave

so for example: using I=10W the resulting level would be 130dB while using I=100W (ten times more intensity) the resulting level would only raise 10dB to only 140dB.

I just remember learning that and being amazed because I used to think that wattage made a huge difference in volume levels.

Prof. Joel [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
                      RIP Dime

Comment

Thanks [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I was DEFINITELY inspired when I came up with that pic [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

As for higher wattage = more volume, you're right. Most people drag a 100W full stack to a bar gig and wonder why they drown out the rest of the band [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                        Bass amps are the only ones that really get louder as the wattage increases. If you're using 100w for the guitar, the bass needs at least 250-300w to be heard!

Newc

Comment

[ April 19, 2003, 03:57 PM: Message edited by: Monk ]

Comment

Originally posted by Joel Drabicki:

Pete...any chance you'll fool around with the idea of building an all metal amp to rival the Uberschalls? I'd be so interested in that! Even just a 10-20 watter or so.

- Joel
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yeah, I'm going to do that eventually. A few of the 'secrets' to good low end like the Uber would pretty much ditch a 10-20 watt amp. The output transformer would have to be fairly large/stout to get good low end, and you'd also want as much headroom as possible for a modern bass-crazy amp like the Uber. I'd say an Uber-type brutal metal amp would need to be at least 50 watts, 100 likely, and *grin* more would probably be better. The first filter cap on those is probably the size of a coke can...

What I'm considering for the short term is getting these poweramps out, and also a low wattage (say 10-15 watts) JCM800 Marshall type amp with more gain and a few goodies like a built in power attenuator.

Pete

Comment

Pete you're making me drool bro [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

Pete for President!

- Joel
                              RIP Dime

Comment

Working...
                              X