From the "Oh bugger..." department

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From the "Oh bugger..." department

Slight problem with my amp. I flick the standby switch, wait until all sound disappears, then hit the power switch. Used to, there was maybe a slight pop and the sound came back then faded like a good tube amp should. But for some reason the popping has been quite a bit louder recently. Where it used to be about the same volume as the switch being flipped, now it's about the same volume as a solid state amp when being turned off. I'm guessing this isn't good, but I have no idea why. Does this sound like a problem or am I showing my amp stupidity?

Re: From the "Oh bugger..." department

My boogie did that a couple of years ago, I replaced the power switch and all was fine.
    www.kiddhavok.com
    www.youtube.com/kiddhavokband

Comment

Depending on your amp, your switch may be barely rated voltage-wise for long life. Likely the contacts inside are wearing/arcing, and the noise will just get worse until it finally goes out. Get another switch - should be 2 or 3 wires at the most to resolder. Just make sure you put em in the right places!

Pete

Comment

Oh joy. Yeah, me poking around in an amp. That's good. Good FOR THE PEOPLE THAT MAKE A LIVING BURYING IDIOTS THAT DECIDED TO DO THEIR OWN AMP WORK. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

For right now, I think it's best if I wait and see if it gets any worse. Who knows? I prefer to put off cracking open deadly electrical things for as long as possible. At least now I've got an idea what the problem is. Thanks, guys.

Comment

Yeah, BM, go ahead and poke around in there with a screwdriver! Make sure the amp is plugged in & turned on....also wash your hands first but don't dry them off! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Sounds like a plan. I'll go try that right now...

[img]graemlins/evilimages/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

It works best if you insulate your genitals with tin foil or a wire coat hanger first [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Newc
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Maybe try some contact cleaner?
                www.kiddhavok.com
                www.youtube.com/kiddhavokband

Comment

Just piss on it while it is turned on, This should fix the problem. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Just make sure you hit the capacitors [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                  X