Mesa/Boogie DC-5?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa/Boogie DC-5?

I have a DC5 head and it does NOT have the distortion of the rectifiers. When I bought it used, I called Mesa and asked the tech guy if it has the dirty of a recto. He laughed and said if it was a Recto they'd call it one.

The clean channel kicks the Recto clean channels ass. It's very glassy and versatile. I have a Single Recto as well. The Dirty channel gives more of a Dream Theater/Master of Puppets type sound to it. The 5 band graphic EQ is a godsend. Makes a HUGE HUGE HUGE HUGE tone difference and is very sensitive.

It does to high gain, but it's just flat out different than the Recto. I'd say it's closer to the Recto's Vintage setting than the Modern setting. My friends who have played both of my heads all, without my asking, said that the DC5 sounds more old school. I think it's a fine amp and used, you can get a pretty good deal. With a 2x12 it sounds great. With a 4x12 it's pretty wicked. I was gonna sell mine but I love the clean channel too much and I like the vintage vibe I get from it.

The tone controls have the same sensitivity as the Rectos. Increase the treble to a certain point and it starts acting like a gain circuit, etc.

Re: Mesa/Boogie DC-5?

Make sure it has the eq cause I'm not sure if it was standard or an option. I have a DC3 that sounds really good but without the eq it's pretty weak and thin. Mine's a combo and I take it to jam with people when I'm feeling too lazy to move a half stack and I've had no problem being heard. It's really loud for 35 watts and can push a 4x12 really well. I've thought about selling it a bunch of times while lusting after new guitars but every time I use it I'm glad I didn't.
    Chris

[ April 23, 2003, 06:00 PM: Message edited by: blindmuddy ]
    http://www.myspace.com/chriswestfallguitar

Comment

I always thought the DC and the nomad series was like a cheaper version of the Mark Series. I had no idea they were supposed to have that kind of distortion. But, obviously they don't

I am so cool.

Comment

Mesa/Boogie DC-5?

I was reading a few reviews of this and people seem to say that it has the cleans of the Mark series and the distortion of the Rectifiers...can anyone give me any opinions on this amp? They have one here used for cheap!

Comment

Yes, get it. Id say that is one of the coolest amps mesa ever made. Sounds amazing on either channel. Very Metallica, very smooth.

Comment

Working...
          X