Mesa: Interesting discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa: Interesting discussion

Ok, so I just got off the phone with Kevin Robertson at Mesa Boogie and he taught me quite a few things that I think are important for us to learn.

1) Question 1: If I connect a load into my power amp that is lower than the rating (more impedance than required), how will that affect my tone?

Answer: The tone gets more bassy and you will lose some of your high end. No detrimental effects will occur to the power amp.

2) What is the deal with the chinese and russian tubes and so on?

Answer: The place of manufacturing of the tubes is is given by the SRT number stamped on the tube itself.

STR # = 420 = Chinese
    STR # = 430 = Russia
    STR # = 434 = Russia

How does that affect my tone?

STR # = 420 = Somewhat dark
    STR # = 430 = More balanced (has more high end)
    STR # = 434 = Very bassy... dark, very Mesa

3) What is the difference between 6L6's and EL84's?

6L6's are what Mesa is known for. EL84's are a way to make a power amp with less power rating.

4) can I make my 50/50 sound like a 20/20 by using yellowjackets and EL84's?

Mesa has no clue because has never tried. You are highly encouraged to do this experiment, something interesting might come out of it. Mesa won't pay for the yellowjackets for you to do the experiment and then report back [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] .

5) What should I hook up a triaxis to?

90:90. They were designed together and in the back of the triaxis there is a series of outputs to the 90:90 that change the voicing of the power amp depending on your settings on the triaxis.

6) Why the hell do you guys charge so much for these things?

Answer: because we can... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

[ April 23, 2003, 05:15 PM: Message edited by: rodrigo_echeverri ]

Re: Mesa: Interesting discussion

Thats the setup I am running and it is killer.The 2:90 and triaxis are meant to be together.Those input jacks on the back of the 2;90 are called voicing jacks.They let you switch between 3 different sounds deep,1/2 drive and modern.They really make a difference in the sound.

Comment

Re: Mesa: Interesting discussion

Here is a good site that talks about the tubes and the tube types for the Mesa Boogie, and other Boogie related stuff.
      http://homepage.mac.com/mesaboogie/welcome.html

Comment

Working...
      X