• Show
Clear All

• Multi Channel Amp Opinions...

Egnator TOL?
    VHT UL something or other?
    Three Channel Dual Recto?
    Rivera Knucklehead 100R?
    Engl Powerball or Savage?

Anything else out there I should consider?

[ April 25, 2003, 03:25 PM: Message edited by: Chuckracer ]

Re: Multi Channel Amp Opinions...

Get one of each. And whichever ones you decide you don't like. You can ship to me. I will take any of those bad boys. Especially teh Powerball! Heavy as a Really heavy Thing, that powerball. mmmm

Comment

No sweat! I'll need your credit card number, and that baby better have a full clip!

I'm leaning towards the Engls based on what I've heard on clips.
      Any owners here? Whats the main differences between the Powerball and the Savage?

Comment

The only difference between the two that i know about is teh powerball is 100 watts as opposed to the SAvage's 120 watts. And the Savage has this prison sex vibe going on with it. (has those horizontal metal bars that you can see the tubes inside...begging to get out.

Comment

Chuck -

Don't forget the Mesa Boogie Road King. I got one in January and love it. The distortion is better than the regular rectos because you can mix el34s with 6l6s and the clean sounds are some of the best out there.

The only downsides to the RK are price and weight - it was a ****ing ton!
          ...that the play is the tragedy, "Man"

Comment

Both Pete and I own Egnater TOL100s. The other guitar player in my band has a VHT Ultra Lead. Both are excellent amps and both get good sounds on all 3 or 4 channels, which is a bit unique in my experience. Personally, I don't think any version of the Dual Recto hangs with them sonicly, but then I'm not a big fan of the Mesa/Boogie lead sound and I don't think anyone will argue that it's cleans are much (the Egnater is the real king of multi-channel amps on the clean channel in my experience but the VHT is quite good). I've heard great things about the Rivera and Engls, but have never played those models and can't offer any comparisons.

What are you looking for woundwise? As you know, I've got the SLO too, so I can probably give you a little direction on how the first two amps compare with it. There are so many good multi-channel amps out there now, that I'm sure there are others. The VHT approaches the SLO and Bogners in price whereas the others there are all a bit less expensive on the used market.

Ross

Comment

What are you looking for soundwise?
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">If I was to have an amp builder ask me that question, I would say the SLO with a tad more bottom and lower mid girth, and a ton more flexability.

The VHT on that Ampfest CD Pete sent me sounded great, as did the Egnator. The Engl just blisters and I've heard other clips that show more of its character. After reading up on it, I really would like to play one.

Comment

hey is that actually you on the picture?... no way!...

Comment

Don`t forget the VHT Cl-100 Head, I like the sound of this one over the Ultra Lead, more Power Tube sound, the Ultra Lead was a bit more hissy sounding, the Classic is old school metal, think old Metallica,Testament,Etc. i have a combo VHT Pittbull Cl-100, but they don`t make it anymore, bummer [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] Jack.

Comment

Hughes & Kettner Duotone

Comment

Line 6 Vetta... It's all those amps...

Bahahahahahahahahaaaaaa... [img]graemlins/puke.gif[/img]

Comment

XTC Chuck. Get an XTC!

Comment

Chuck - if you have $800-$1000 or so that you can part with for a few weeks, buy a used TOL100. If you don't like it, they sell pretty easily/quickly. I'd say the high gain channel sounds like a cross between the VHT I had and the single recto head I sold your singer - it's tighter than the recto, but a little looser than the VHT. It has a GREAT tone (better than the recto, imho) and all four channels are useful.

The two high gain channels (3 and 4) can be switched to vintage, modern 1 or modern 2, which adds to the flexibility. I actually can solo quite easily on the 3rd channel at rehearsal, and just set up the 4th channel for a volume boost more than anything. The amp can get a very cool modern tone, and still allow you to get a blues and a great clean sound too.

Plus it's midi controllable, so you can channel switch it simultaneously with any effects. I have mine set up to change with a Rocktron Intellifex, and it's easy to set up. The effects loop works great, and the clean is absolutely the best I've heard in *any* multi channel amp. Oh yeah, and the reverb ain't bad either. Series/Parallel fx loop too... there isn't much the TOLs don't have.

You might want to talk at length with Ross about how his TOL stacks up to the Soldano since he could give you direct comparisons. I was happy with my VHT, happier with my single recto (for the music I was playing... the VHT was waaaaayyyy too heavy for some of our covers) and happiest with the TOL.

Pete

Comment

There is much more difference between the Engl Savage and Powerball. The Savage is quite old while the Powerball is a newer amp. From what i get it was mainly built to be a nu metal amp. The Savage is something like a Engl classic.

Sure if you like the engl sound there isn't a alternative but if i would live in america i would first search elsewhere. I don't know what Engls cost in america but based on Mesa's prices here in germany i guess those Engls are real expensive in the usa. I would first look into VHT, Egnater, Bogner and some other american brands.Mesas here in germany cost over $1000 more than in america. So why pay that money for nothing, a mesa in germany doesn't sound better than one in america. I guess that's the same with Engl (and Diezel) in america.
                            On the other hand that is what's great on the Engls here in germany. They are high-end amps but reasonable priced, unlike the Mesas. I just own a Mesa because i bought it used for a very good price. If i hadn't the possibiliy to do that i guess i would have a Engl, no doubt.

Just some thoughts.

Flo
                            http://www.myspace.com/drasticviolence

Thrash/Death-Metal from Germany

Comment

the powerball and savage go for just under 2000 dollars here in the U.S. So I guess we don't get the short stick when it comes to exported goods. We are teh world's largest importer. So it kind of makes sense that this stuff wouldn't cost as much compared to how much our stuff costs you. Sad but true. There isn't much of a price difference between a triple recto and an ENGL Powerball.

Comment

Working...
                              X