No announcement yet.

Can someone plesae answer my question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can someone plesae answer my question?

I want to know if anyone here uses the ProCo Rat Distortion Pedals and all I get is questions asking if I'm a crackhead(for those that did ask these questions, thanks a lot for the support)but on a serious note, I just want to know if anyone here used or uses one and knows where I can find the vintage 80's pedals as well as the vintage Tubescreamer. That's all I ask. Thank you.

[ April 25, 2003, 07:44 PM: Message edited by: Mopar Guitarist ]

Re: Can someone plesae answer my question?

hehehe.. poor Tony, he is already learning how things work around here... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] you just gotta be tough and tell us to **** off and keep doing your thing... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

When people are silent like they have been with your posts it usually means they don't know...

Comment

Thanks Rodrigo. I think we're gonna get along here just fine. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] Was that a new blood thing in the last post or what?

Comment

I had one of the original ones back in the 80's. IMO, the thing didn't sound that great. It sounded like a tin can full of bees. I used to play it through and old Marshall Super Lead, and it sounded shrill and trebley. I used it through a Fender Bassman and it sounded ok, but at times like I was playing through thick mud. I kept it for years in the box and just sold it a couple of years ago. I probably hadn't actually used it since like 1988 or so.

Comment

Find a FullDrive II pedal if you want a distortion or an overdrive in one pedal. It has both, kinda like adding two channels to your amp. I've owned a few TS9 tubescreamers, and it's a nicer sounding pedal. Ditto on the Rats... they always had a real harsh tone to em. Both use diodes to clip the circuit, just in different places. Amazing how people WANT those diodes in their pedals but God help you if you have an amp with em (like some JCM 800s and 900s).

Pete

Comment

I got a rat in '87

It has a REAL harsh sound, but is built like a tank. If you turn the drive down/off and just use the volume to push the tubes it's not "that" bad.

All in all there are better pedals out there.

Comment

Tony, I dont know how to answer your question, however, my understanding is that we have similar musicla tastes from previous communications we had... I would suggest you look into an ADA mp-1, it might make you very happy!... I love those things and they are just a few bucks more than a distortion pedal!...

[ April 26, 2003, 02:20 PM: Message edited by: rodrigo_echeverri ]

Comment

In my experience, it depends on what amp you're using, with what pedal.

I have a TS9 which sounds as though it was created to compliment my Marshall...it's like the missing link Marshall couldn't find. However, it sounds awful through my Peavey, so I use an OD1 on that.

The Rat pedals were a godsend in the eighties if you were using a solid state amp of that time. They too were like the missing link for solid state.

To sum up, Rat for old solid state, TS9's for some valve amps, especially Marshall.
                That's what I think anyway...

Sean.

Comment

I tried Rats back in the late 80's and they did sound better through Peavey and other non-tube combo amps than straight tube amps.

But I'd agree with Rodrigo about the ADA. If you can find a Chandler Tube Driver pedal (large thing with a 12AX7) those sound great through tube Marshalls.

Newc
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

here you go, this is your rat distortion.. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Rat distortion

Comment

I'm probably wrong but i was under the impression that most Overdrive pedals that are being used for Volume Boost on tube amps sound pretty much the same cause you aren't actully using the pedals distorsion. I'm using an ancient Marshall shred master pedal for a boost on my JCM 900, would an Ibanez TS9 make much difference to the sound?

Comment

I agree with Sean on this one. I have a TS-9 and it is like the 3rd channel on my DSL.

I can get that clean overdrive sound, Like in the begigning of Poem by Taproot, or an AC/DC type crunch using it alone, and when I use it with the amps distortion, it gives it a searing lead tone.

As the other guys said, it didn't really sound all that great when I ised it with my old valvestate though.
                        Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

Comment

I have had them and they are simply horrible.

Comment

i own a rat and i absolutely love it

but i dont use it for heavy metal, i use it for more RAWK and punky style tones, for that its great

David

Comment

Try the Ibanez Metal Charger. More usable eq and a less harsh tone compaired to the Rat. Or the turbo rat. I have one and it ounds great thru a solid state or a tube amp. Its very MArshall like in my rig bt its different on every situation. and they're cheaper than a vintage Rat.
                              Gil

Comment

Working...
                              X