push/pull?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• push/pull?

would someone please explain to me what is meant by push pull amps, and how it relates to tubes?
    Thanks!
    1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Re: push/pull?

First tell me where you heard this term used [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Newc
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by buzzsaww:
      would someone please explain to me what is meant by push pull amps, and how it relates to tubes?
      Thanks!
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Push Pull are amps that are running in Class A/B - they use at least one pair of tubes, sometimes two pair, and one set of tubes push while the other set pulls. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

In other words, the tubes work with each other - one tube is 'on' while the other one is 'off' and vice versa. This happens so fast that you can't hear em handing off, so to speak.

Class A amps work ALL the time, and so the tubes are on all the time instead of splitting the work up.

I prefer the sound of Class A - you lose some harmonic content with Push/Pull amps. They also are quieter than Class A, however, and don't wear out the tubes quite as fast.

The amp I built newc (and any other guitar amp that has only one power tube) is class A, since there aren't any other power tubes to share the load.

Pete

Comment

I thought he may have heard someone referring to their amp (uaually old Peaveys) with a push/pull EQ knob as a "push/pull" amp, that's why I asked [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

Push Pull are amps that are running in Class A/B - they use at least one pair of tubes, sometimes two pair, and one set of tubes push while the other set pulls.

In other words, the tubes work with each other - one tube is 'on' while the other one is 'off' and vice versa. This happens so fast that you can't hear em handing off, so to speak.

Class A amps work ALL the time, and so the tubes are on all the time instead of splitting the work up.

I prefer the sound of Class A - you lose some harmonic content with Push/Pull amps. They also are quieter than Class A, however, and don't wear out the tubes quite as fast.

The amp I built newc (and any other guitar amp that has only one power tube) is class A, since there aren't any other power tubes to share the load.

Pete
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">But otherwise, I'm sure you guys had the same answer. You just didn't want to say right? [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
          BTW, very nice response Pete. Helpful and informative. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

i heard a great saying from a car audio guy about push/pull amps:
            it's twice the bass at half the space.
            it means that you get alot more volume/power from this design's size, but you do sacrafice sound quality.

Comment

cool thank you! [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]
              1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Comment

I was also thinking of the same thing, Newc... an amp with push/pull eq, like some amps (Rivera comes to mind) where you can pull out a knob for extra gain or treble boost or something.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

data187 - do you go for the car audio setups and such (amps and cabinets and bass)? If so, I got a neat story to tell [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc

Comment

Working...
                  X