Can't decide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't decide

I originally wanted to get a Mesa Boogie Mark series. So I nailed it down to a mark 3 or 4. I want a combo, I have a Marshal JCM 800 stack channel switching and reverb. Tired of lugging it around. I have always wanted a boogie, but I have tried other brands of amps and have always come back to Marshall. I tried a TSL601 combo today and it sounded good. I have also thought, maybe get a JCM 800 combo off of ebay. I like playing classic rock and 80s metal. The Boogie is supposed to get a shimmering clean tone, which I would like to have. So I come to you the great vast knowledge of the JCF and ask you opinions on this matter.

Re: Can\'t decide

hmm jcm 800's dont have a lot of gain, if any if my memory serves me ( used to have a 100 watt head). The boogie clean will whomp the marshall, and i'm sure a mark 3 or 4 (with eq) will kill it as well distortion wise. Just go try them side by side, play the stuff you like through them.. take your guitar, or use one just like it (same pickups).

dave

Comment

Marshalls and Boogies sound very different. If you are happy with the way your Marshall sounds, you might not like they way the Boogie sounds at all. Like all gear, the best way to compare it is side by side. And Boogie combos, while smaller in dimension, are still quite heavy to lug around.

Comment

I love my MkIII. Loud as h**l too... [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
        It 3 channel, but only two are usable at any time due to signifigant level diffs between clean and crunch. The MkIV has a little more flexibility.

[ April 28, 2003, 08:17 PM: Message edited by: nor ]
        750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
        Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

Originally posted by nor:
          I love my MkIII. Loud as h**l too... [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
          It 3 channel, but only two are usable at any time due to signifigant level diffs between clean and crunch. The MkIV has a little more flexibility.
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Ron, Mesa has a fix for that. I was going to have it done to my Mk III but ended up just trading it off.

Pete

Comment

I have a JCM 800 2210 head. It's definitely a one-trick pony, but I just happen to love that one pony. I thought about getting a POD so I might have a decent clean sound through it. I would want to try this combination first, though.
            Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

Well, I went with The Boogie. I just won a Mark IV on ebay. I am so excited. [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
              X