recording microphone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• recording microphone

Well for guitar micing a Shure SM57 dynamic mic is first choice and also in your price range. But for recording vocals it isn't that good. For vocals a condenser is better.
    A condenser micing a guitar cab can also be a cool choice but only a bit away from the cab to also pick up the room sound. For close micing it's not a good choice.
    So after all i think you will have to make a compromise. If i were you i would buy a SM57, then you have a very good mic for your guitar amp and it's quite ok for vocals. When you have some additional money buy a condenser for singing. I don't think there is a choice of mic in that price range that does both good.

Have you thought about a mic preamp ? That's quite a important thing in your signal chain. A good mic can sound sh!tty when going through a bad mic preamp. Don't use the mic preamp of a soundblaster card because they are not good for recording. Also if you plan on buying a condenser you will need 48V phantom power to power your condenser and that's something the soundblaster mic preamp won't deliver.
    So either you should use a mic preamp built in a mixer or if you only need 1-2 channels of amplification it's better to buy a stand-alone mic preamp. There are quite some cool, cheap choices out there like the Audio buddy.

Flo
    http://www.myspace.com/drasticviolence

Thrash/Death-Metal from Germany

Re: recording microphone

Flo,

Thanks, nice, thorough and clean.

I own a Behringer mixer, which has the pre-amp built in. I know there are some excellent mike-preamps out there but for now this will have to do...

Comment

You know my opinion... CAD!!!

And I hate SM57/58s

Comment

John i wonder if you ever used a Shure SM57 with a great mic preamp.
        A good mic preamp is just so important. I mean when i am recording, my sm57 sounds much better now because of my self build mic preamp which is much better than the behringer crap i used before. And my self build mic preamp can't scratch a world class mic preamp like a Neve 1272 or a Api 312.
        I mean the shure sm57 is often the choice of world class studios when recording distorted guitar but they of course use world class amplificiation with it.

Just a thought [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Flo
        http://www.myspace.com/drasticviolence

Thrash/Death-Metal from Germany

Comment

This is true I spose ID, I've only used them with average MicPreamps in mixers, prolly the best being a Mackie Mixer Preamp. Which is sposed to be 'OK" for a cheesy preamp.

I hear that a good preamp means a lot...

But, when I think of using a $100-$175 CAD that sounds awesome through my cheap mixer, or a $80-$100 SM57 and needing a preamp costing how much to sound good? Most are up there in the $100-$1000 that I see. I know what I choose.

The main trouble is I wouldn't use my CADs on the road.

Comment

ok, so I went to the stoer and got myself a condenser microphone. This is a cardioid type rather than an omni... you know, the polar diagram looks like a heart (picks up the front)... this is a nice compromise between the directionality of the Shure 57 and the CAD... ah, this thing also has a nice fat low end frequency response like the CAD! (main featufre there)... I will try and and see how it goes... ahh, and I think it looks sooo cool!... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

[ April 29, 2003, 09:40 PM: Message edited by: rodrigo_echeverri ]

Comment

Very nice! Tell us how you do... [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

recording microphone

I need suggestions on a mic since I am going to buy one for recording. My budget for it is around US$100. I want it to be able to do both, vocals and amp miking.

Shall I buy dynamic or condenser?

Comment

John, go and check my mp3.. I just recorded it with this mic. Tell me what you think... it is NOT metal though... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I entered this thread a little late, but here's my two cents anyway:

SM57 needs post eq to compensate for it's lack of low frequency sensivity to make it sound good. Otherwise it will sound quite nasal. My opinion. It's meduim sized membrane CAN fairly easy be driven into distortion when micing close to the cone and playing loud.

I would suggest the Sennheiser MD421 MkII. BIG membrane, good for close to cone micing without saturation/distortion, fabulous bass reproduction, very versatile partly due to it's built-in bass filter. I don't know if they can be had for $100 used though [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
                    Every studio has MD421s in their inventory.

My experience with condenser mics are that they are not good for loud, close-up micing. They typically can't handle the air pressure.
                    Henrik
                    AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Working...
                    X