Need some quick advice.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Need some quick advice.

yes that is a peavey sheffeild cab. i had one back in 99' they are the step under the 5150 cabs. they sound pretty good if you take the cheap grill off. the grill rattles a little, you might not even notice it but a trained studio ear will. i had one for about a year, kept the grill off and it worked fine. i sold it to help pay for a boogie cab.
    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

I think that's a berhinger cab maybe... Ain't no Paevey...

If you get a 5150, MAKE SURE you get a matching 5150 cab with the right Sheffields in it. That cab makes ALL the difference with that amp. You can use more bass, resonance, and gain with the 5150 cab. And I've used 5150 amps with Mesa, Marshall and Ampeg celestion cabs...

The 5150 sounds best with the matching cab...

Strange thing is, 5150 cabs don't sound so great with other amps!!! haha...

Comment

anybody ever play one of those Randall RG100SC Combo's ?

People seem to say pretty good things about em, and I could grab a scrach and dent special, and digitech effect processor for a hair over 400.

mm tempting..

Comment

I have played Randalls and are very impressed by them... solid state though, you know that, right?...

Comment

IMHO:

My ears find the main difference between tubes and solid state mainly on the clean sounds. They just strike me as being more warm and rounded... I really can't stand the cleans from anything that doesnt have tubes in it!...

I also do 'feel' that the distortion sounds from tubes are more rounded as well but I continue to like the sound of solid state distortion some times. Most people here will think that this statement is a sacrilege... I just need to educate my ear a little more when it comes to distortion I guess... in short, I did like a lot the distortions from the randalls I tried!... I do know that it doesn't compare to a triaxis though... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

P.S: from now on I am going to start all my posts saying "IMHO" due to the fact that some people around here take things personal ... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

[ May 07, 2003, 01:04 PM: Message edited by: rodrigo_echeverri ]

Comment

Originally posted by rodrigo_echeverri:
              I really can't stand the cleans from anything that doesnt have tubes in it!
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Rodrigo, have you ever heard a Roland JC-120? Solid state and pure clean heaven, I think you would be very pleased.

Dave->
              Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Dave, thaht's right, I forgot to consider that one when I made my statement... I did sit down with one for two hours last week and it was the BEST clean sound I ever heard!... I actually made a point in my mind of owning one in the future (as I always do!.. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ).

I did own a Chorus Ultimate, which is something like Fender's version of the JC-120. That sounds cool as well but it doesnt measure up to the JC-120 IMHO.

Only thing is that those solid state clean amps get a lot of help from the chorus I think...

[ May 07, 2003, 01:27 PM: Message edited by: rodrigo_echeverri ]

Comment

Thanks for the help all, but im still totaly undecided on which way I should go.

Comment

I am aware that they are solid state, but I have only played a few tube amps so im not so sure what the sound difference is. Solid states are just not as warm as tube's right ?

Comment

Working...
                    X