482i BBE Sonic maximizer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 482i BBE Sonic maximizer

Is this model really so much better than the 362?
    If it is, how and what is better?
    In plain english please!

And then what is the best position to plug it in the guitar rig!
    After/before the preamp?

I ve tried some other maximizers-wannabe (behringer) and did quite well.
    The bbe models are known to be better so i would like to know first hand, how they sound.

My preamp is ada mp1!

I've tried out the alesis meq 230 graphic eq and it really boosts my sound.
    As far as the compressor is concerned i really did not find a way to use it properly, that is to improve my sound greately!

So i all for, some other toys.
    The next one, maximizer...
    Maybe then back to compressor!

Have fun answering me!

Re: 482i BBE Sonic maximizer

I have both the BBE 482 and an ADA MP-1 that I use occasionally when I'm not using my VHT preamp. The best way to hook up the BBE is serially after the MP-1, then into the power amp. I wouldn't recommend hooking it into the effects loop of the MP-1.

I have no idea what the difference is between the 482 and the 362.

Comment

I have and have had a few, and 422A is the model that seems to sound best with guitar in the opinion of most people that have used them and probably BBE themselves.

I had a 362 and a 482, to much sizzle. I sold them and kept the older ones.

You can get the 422A cheap, $50-$100.

Comment

11miles, hi, how are you?

882i: Takes balanced jacks (who cares)?...
        482i: Dual mono operation
        362: Ganged-stereo operation

Other than that they are the same thing...

It seems the only difference here is the level of independence of the two channels in the stereo. However, I have a 422A here next to me hoked in stereo and it sounds great!... I would say get your good old friend the 422A since it is exactly the one that was used by many bands in studio with the mp-1 back in the day.

I am in the opposite position with respect to you. I have the 422A but I don't have the mp-1... I will go and get one this week.

Hey, I thought you would enjoy this description from the manual so I thought I would type it:

---------

The BBE Process --- "What is it?"

"Loudspeakers have difficulty dealing with the electronic signals supplied by an amplifier. These difficulties cause such major phase and amplitude distortion that the sound reproduced by a speaker differs significantly from the sound produced by the original source.

Phase and amplitude integrity is essential to accurate sound reproduction. Research shows that the information which the listener translates into the recognizable characteristics of a live performance are intimately tied into complex time and amplitude relationships between the fundamental and harmonic components of a given musical note or sound. These relationships define a sound's "sound".

When these complex relationships pass through a speaker, the proper order is lost. The higher frequencies are delayed. A lower order frequency may reach the listener's ear first or perhaps simultabeously with that of a higher frequency. In some cases, the fundamental components may be so time-shifted that they reach the listener's ear ahead of some of all of the harmonic components.

This change in the phase and amplitude relationship on the harmonic and fundamental frequencies is technically called "envelope distortion". The listener perceives this loss of sound integrity in the reproduced sound as "muddy" and "smeared". In the extreme, it can become difficult to tell the difference among musical instruments, for example, an oboe and a clarinet.

"How it works":

The BBE process imparts a pre-determined phase correction to the high frequencies where most harmonic information exists. This is done by breaking the signal into three sub-bands or grousps: the low frequency group, which is crossed over at 150 Hz, the mid-range group which is crossed over at 1200 Hz and the high frequency group that handles everything else up to 20K Hz.

The low group is delayed about 2.5 ms (milliseconds) via a group delay within a low pass filter. The front panel control allows for either a flat response, a cut or a boost of the lows at 50 Hz.

The mid-range group is delayed only about 0.5 ms and passes through and active band-bass filter while the high frequency group is passed through a VCA (Voltage controlled ampilifier). The high group is used as a point of reference to make dynamic amplitude corrections in both positive and negative directions to the high frequencies.

Two RMS average loudness detectors continuously monitor both the mid-range and high frequencies to comopare the relative harmonic content levels of the two bands and apply the appropriate amount of control voltage to the VCA, thereby determining the amount of high frequency harmonic content present at the final output of the BBE processor."

[ May 01, 2003, 01:23 PM: Message edited by: rodrigo_echeverri ]

Comment

hay guys, tenx for posting!

Cleveland;
          Please do have in mind that whenever you say: ''you can get them for a .....''
          or ''check out the e-bay...''
          , thesuggestions goes only for you in the US!
          For us (in Europe) things are a little less pinky (hard to get and far more expencive)!

But thanks for the suggestion anyway!
          And if you have an idea how a 100$ item could be send to me in Slovenia not double the price by shipping and custom, you are very welcomed!

Rodrigo: Thanks, i am fine. had a few days of to check my sound. As i wrote i got rid of the compressor, didn't quite soothe me, the way i expected (my fault, most propably).
          So i am mre concentrating on the eq now! The composer will just have to wait for its turn!
          Tweaking the Eq i was wondering if there are any 30 band preset settings on the i-net to help me around a bit.
          All i got is a bunch of talk about the v-type(mid-scoop)preset but not accurate enough for me!
          Since mine eq is 30 Band, i would like to know exactly were to start tweaking it and how much shuold i boost or cut each band?

Hope you could help me?

NExt thing i did is changed the two greenbacks with another pair of v30 celestions. So my cab is now all vintage. It f****ing rocks!

As far as maximizer is concerned:
          So the difference is not so much in sound?
          You have it at home should now the best!
          And what is that 422a, i didnt see that one anywhere on the bbe-page! So that is a bit more hard to get fo me!

Anyway about the plugin setup order i was aksing you about!
          If there really is no big ''quality in sound difference'' between the 362 and the 482i i was thinking i would go for the362NR.
          I spent all my $ on speakres now and ada being as loud as hell i really need a hush unit of some sort.
          And 362 Is really a great choice to get a hush and a maximizer all in ne! Especially if its position in the rig is right before the poweramp!
          So all the noise created in the rack is then gated at the end and the sound maximized simultaneously!
          The alesis 3630 compressor i was telling you about has a noise gate built in! But it doesnt do me any good if i plug it before preamp were all the noise is made, right?

Oh and i think i really got to love my ada preamp!

Huh, looks like i had enough to say and much more to ask.
          And that does not goes only for Rodrigo and Cleve, but all of you guitar maniacs!

You have a job to do now try and answer me!
          [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

''Hvala'' That means thanks in Slovene
          [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]

Comment

Straight from BBE's Website:

Which Sonic Maximizer model is best for my application?

We offer several models, though for most applications there is not one "right" model to use. It's more a matter of your budget. For example, in a guitar rack system, our model 482i is the most popular because:

1) Instrument racks (guitar, bass, keyboards etc.) are generally unbalanced systems (-10dBu), and
            2) Each channel can be adjusted separately, such that a user could use one channel for a signal going to the amp and another going to a mixing board in a live situation
            3) The 482i has the best sound sound quality, better than the the 362 (or 362NR).

However, if a guitarist is on a limited budget, then the lower priced ganged-control 362 unit will be fine. Though the sound quality is not quite as good as the 362 and substantially less than the 482i.

The point is that for a given application, a user can generally choose from several BBE models, and in some cases any BBE model will work. Your BBE dealer can help you reach a decision taking prices and features into account.

Comment

11miles... the 422A is not made anymore but like John says, most people agree that it it the best sounding one of them (I like minea lot)... just get one off e-bay. I MEAN JUST GET THIS!.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=23790

He gives his phone number there. Talk to him and make him an offer. Don't give him more than US$75 and get him to ship to Europe for you. If you have any problems getting him to do that I will buy it and ship to you if you want.

TAKE ACTION NOW AND LET ME KNOW!....

[email protected]

[ May 01, 2003, 08:52 PM: Message edited by: rodrigo_echeverri ]

Comment

Working...
              X