NEED TUBE COMBO AMP HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEED TUBE COMBO AMP HELP

i need some sugestions from people playing through a tube amp combo, i mostly play at lower volume levels(apartment situation) and want something that sounds good at these levels, two channels, clean and a good distortion
    please help
    thanks
    jon

Re: NEED TUBE COMBO AMP HELP

I use a 2x12 version but this will work great for you- Nice price too- Neddi

JCM900 combo
    www.facebook.com/neddistanz

Comment

I say JCM 800
      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I got a vote for a JCM 2000 [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I've had no problems with my DSL 401 and the tone is great, all Marshall.

Comment

Mesa Studio .22+. Make sure it has the 5 band graphic eq.

Screw that Marshall crap! (Just Kidding about the Marshall crap. Kind of.)

Comment

yeah, the guy in my guitar store is always selling Marshalls to the Blink 182 type kids... once he is done with them, he always goes back to playing his Mesa.. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

marshalls sound like you put a 2 inch speaker in a pop can for a cabinet and then stepped on it... (no smile at the end)

Oops!, sorry Raymond, no offense, I meant I love Marshalls.. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

[ May 02, 2003, 02:45 AM: Message edited by: rodrigo_echeverri ]

Comment

Originally posted by rodrigo_echeverri:

Oops!, sorry Raymond, no offense, I meant I love Marshalls.. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">HEHEHE [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Just keep on a rockin bro

Comment

The reason I suggested the JCM900 1x12 is that it's very affordable and it can sound great if you spend a little time with it- He asked for suggestions, not bashing- These clips were done with a Marshall JMP 1 (another Marshall product that gets bashed around here)- I can get my JCM900 2x12 combo to sound just like it- The tone sounds great IMHO- Now let's hear some clips from the bashers- Put up or shut I always say! Neddi

Live JMP1

Studio outtake

my eruption live

over the mountain solo live
                www.facebook.com/neddistanz

Comment

Neddi, good points, but you're posting clips made at performance levels. JCM900s don't really sound that great at real low (bedroom/home) volumes. A mesa studio .22+ is going ot cost around the same or less, and sound better at a lower volume. Also cheaper to retube, and built better. Plus it has more gain in the lead channel, and a nicer clean channel, and the entire circuit is tube, no diodes like the 900 series (if that bothers ya).

I'd say studio .22 w/5 band eq.

Pete

Comment

Oh, just saw the 'put up or shut up' clip challenge... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Here are two I did a few years back of a studio .22 - and it was at fairly low volume, not at a gig. You can hear it really well since it's by itself:

http://members.cox.net/okstrat/Amps/boogie22clean.mp3

http://members.cox.net/okstrat/Amps/boogie22dirty.mp3

And for those who like Marshall tones... a clip of a $250 kit amp I modded - it's 1/2 watt, but single channel. Sounds great however.

http://members.cox.net/musicfiles/modfullvol2.mp3

Pete

Comment

How about a XXX112. In two months they will have 2 new XXX 40 watt1x12 availible. One will feature 12 built in digital efx.

Comment

That .22 sounded very nice.
                        I didn't mind the JCM 800 combos but I found them to be rather inconsistant for the money, you'd have to find one and really fall for it. I rather own a Studio 15..Marshall 4001, very nice little all tube marshall combo.

here's a Carvin Valvemaster combo, altho I think it's a 100w master vol it does have pentode, triode half power switching so you can bump it down. These get loud, but they're a good sounding combo.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=10171

Comment

ok, here goes mine:

Not_met

Sorry that is not a combo (its a 50/50) but it is MESA sound to its full extent!... very fat and deep... and it is recorded at very low volume because I cant make noise in my university rez.

Ok, and if anything sucks there its just me.. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

[ May 02, 2003, 10:58 AM: Message edited by: rodrigo_echeverri ]

Comment

My bedroom setup consists of a Fender(yes a Fender) Hot Rod Deluxe with a POD pushed up front. This way I get all the tones that I want and it sounds excellent because it is at bedroom levels.

Comment

Actually the reissue Fender Concert series designed by Paul Rivera were pretty good amps as well for a combo.

Comment

Working...
                              X