NEED TUBE COMBO AMP HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NEED TUBE COMBO AMP HELP

Actually, I was just thinking something...

I have to say that I am in love with the Fender Twin... nice cleans!...

[ May 02, 2003, 12:00 PM: Message edited by: rodrigo_echeverri ]

Comment

I have JCM800 2x12 (50w). I love it - but it's not for bedroom/apartment levels. You really need to put some volume to it to get it to sound good. I bought it before we bought our house 3 months ago (we were in an apt.) and I can tell you from experience that it really couldn't be played in that environment if you care about tone - unless your neighbors are deaf already. Just my .02

Comment

Foolius Maximus
        My critique on your clips of course!
        Eruption- nope on the solo (too many mistakes and missed licks on the most copied solo on the planet) but the tone was quite good.It sounded live and if it was and you were hammered or doing the infamous shredders shuffle than it was pretty darn good.
        Over the Mountain- nice job period!
        Are you a Rhoads fan?? duh... And I thought I was the only one who could nail everything that Randy ever did in his brief but brilliant career. You rock! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

My opinion again...I just came back from my favorite store, which has a wide selection of combos.... to my ears, the best small amp was the Mesa F30!... it really suits what I am looking for... again, that's just me!...

F30

Comment

I'd suggest trying to find an old, early '90s Marshall Valvestate. I still play through a '92 2x12, the 8240 stereo chorus combo, and I love it!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
            I've never been a real big fan of the Mesa sound (I think it's a little muddy, but can be tweaked to sound Marshall-like), but the Tech 21 SansAmp Tri-AC pedal I sometimes use has three channels and can get you great Fender, Marshall and Mesa/Boogie sounds.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

For apartment jamming at low level I wouldn't suggest a tube amp. For that application you can't go wrong with a Line 6 Spider, Crate DXJ112, Johnson JM60 Marquis or a Teck 21 Trademark 10. Just make shure you get at least 1 12 inch speaker. 12's sound much better than 10's or 8's. Tube amps by nature sound better when they are cranked and the tubes are as close to saturation as possible. I can't see any reason to cook tubes at low apartment levels. If you must go with tubes I would suggest an EXTREMELY low wattage like maybe the Crate VC508 which is around 5 watts. The Fender Blues JR. is nice too. I just think that in an apartment, modeling amps are the way to go. I have a Crate DXJ112 with the DXFC foot controller. It is a fantastic modeling amp and it was very cheap. I got it for personal practice only. <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I've got blisters on my fingers!

Comment

Oh yea my Crate has a Vox AC30 with top boost model that is almost dead on.
                It also models:
                HiWatt DR
                Fender Deluxe
                Fender Deluxe Reverb (it sounds very very close)
                Fender Bassman (It doesn't sound as big as the actual Fender)
                59 Marshall Plexi (sounds great)
                Marshall JCM800 (sounds as crappy as the actual JCM800's)
                Mesa Dual Rectifier (outstanding)
                Mesa Mark IIc (Santana to the max)
                Ampeg VL-501 (sort of like a JCM900)
                Crate GX-140C (totally saturated Pantera tone)
                Crate VC60 (like a Fender Blues Deville)
                Crate BV-60 (like a Mesa Subway Rocket IMHO)
                Boss AC-1 acoustic simulator (really does turn your electric into an acoustic)
                Crate GX140C (sounds like a Roland JC120 jazz chorus to me)
                Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face (Hendrix lives!!)
                Add these to every effect you could possibly need in any configuration you could want. 128 presets.
                I know that you didn't ask for this specific info but I was on a roll! <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">We only take the most delectable frogs, hand picked, lightly killed and sealed in a succulent envelope covered with glucose. Is it a real frog? Of course it is a real frog! Is it dead? Of course its dead! Does it have bones in it? Of course it has bones in it, it wouldn't be crunchy now would it!

Comment

Working...
                X