• Show
Clear All

Re: Backgroung noise when recording

If you are interested in this topic, you will finds this very useful:

Microphones

[ May 03, 2003, 11:13 PM: Message edited by: rodrigo_echeverri ]

Comment

Hey thanks a lot man [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I'm actually going to be majoring in Music Production and Engineering but I won't get into it until next spring, hopefully I'll know a lot more in the next few years hehe.

Comment

redmanjj: its not a hum from my amp, just all this noise when I hit 'play' after I record [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] But I'll try that anyway, you never know.

Rodrigo: yeah, if I want a good directional mic I should probably get a super cardiode mic (more of a heart shape to reject noise from behind).. I think thats the 'polar plot' you're talking about, I don't know all the technical terms hehe. I'm just not sure if those are the best for recording guitar stuff. I'll take a look around and see what I can get and for how much.. the noise filter sounds like a pretty good idea.

Thanks [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

[ May 03, 2003, 12:20 PM: Message edited by: Lev ]

Comment

Lev, in the thread that I opened asking for advice for a recording mic, the post made by our european friend by the user name "Jackson1" was really good and shold be had in consideration:

----
          By Jackson1:

"SM57 needs post eq to compensate for it's lack of low frequency sensivity to make it sound good. Otherwise it will sound quite nasal. My opinion. It's meduim sized membrane CAN fairly easy be driven into distortion when micing close to the cone and playing loud.

"I would suggest the Sennheiser MD421 MkII. BIG membrane, good for close to cone micing without saturation/distortion, fabulous bass reproduction, very versatile partly due to it's built-in bass filter. I don't know if they can be had for $100 used though
          Every studio has MD421s in their inventory.

My experience with condenser mics are that they are not good for loud, close-up micing. They typically can't handle the air pressure."

--------

That's an excellent point. The reson why I worship condenser microphones is that I have the tone I want at LOW volumes and therefore dont need a large membrane mic to handle high air pressures around it. However, for live recording you should use what he is recommending.

Also, his observation on the "nasal" sound of the shure 57 is true and can be seen if you look at this frequency response curve:

As you can see there, the frequency response of this mic at the bottom end sucks big time!... (the curve is already below -5 dB at 100 Hz!... that means your chunka, chunka is partially gone!). That can be compensated by equalization, but that wont be optimal.

This is what I use:

What John Weekley recommends is this, which seems to perform quite great in the low end range and will probably also hold at higher recording volumes:

CAD E100

[ May 03, 2003, 12:44 PM: Message edited by: rodrigo_echeverri ]

Comment

you are welcome...

I know a little about signal theory because I am completing a masters in vibrations that has made me take a bunch of courses in the area of signal processing and DSP... all the fancy stuff...

Good luck in your studies... what school are going to?...

Comment

I just started at Berklee College of Music this January.. before I was doing computer engineering at Virginia Tech for a year, but it was too boring for me [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Lev: Wow!... I will shut up now.. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Hey, can I take like a 12-week session in recording at Berklee?... I saw the ones at MI but I think Berklee might be better...

[ May 04, 2003, 09:01 PM: Message edited by: rodrigo_echeverri ]

Comment

I don't think they have a 12-week recording session here, I think the only 12 week program offered is for Performance, I'm not sure though. Check out www.berklee.edu, they should have all the info you need there. The music production & engineering major is so high in demand that after getting into Berklee, you have to apply again for the major.. you need atleast a 3.5gpa, a good background, and then finally go through an interview with the head of the department. Then about 35-40% of the people who apply make it. So thats why they probably don't offer that kind of thing (a short program), they're already maxed out on full-time students in the degree. MI is usually better for those short courses from what I hear.

Comment

Working...
                  X