Attenuator question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attenuator question

How well do attenuators work with solid state amps, if at all? Er.. that's it.

Re: Attenuator question

What reason would you want one? Solidstate amps usually sound bad when overdriven in the outputs...

Comment

Originally posted by Black Mariah:
      How well do attenuators work with solid state amps, if at all? Er.. that's it.
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">One would work ok... I mean, all you're doing is bleeding off some of the power/wattage from the speaker output. Question is, WHY would you want to do this on a solid state amp? It would sound like crap, IMHO... and could cause harm to the amp.

Pete

Comment

... and could cause harm to the amp.
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That's as good a reason as any [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Newc
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

What reason would you want one? Solidstate amps usually sound bad when overdriven in the outputs...
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">USUALLY. I wouldn't crank a Crate any further than I could throw it, but we're not talking Crate here. Sunns are a special breed. I'm not sure what the hell the dudes that designed these things were smoking, but they did it right. No, they don't sound like tube amps. That's the point. You will NOT find a more brutal sound than a cranked Beta Lead pounding your ass into dust (depending on your definition of brutal, of course).

The s**tty thing is, Sunns sound good ONLY when cranked (counter to everything that is solid state). If you don't have the power amp working, there's no tone at all. That's why I was wondering about the attenuator thing.

And if you don't believe me, find a cheap Concert Lead or Beta Lead and see for yourself. It's a Sabbath style tone, not a Maiden/Priest type tone.

Comment

Ohhhh, so it sound like a Laney? Get a Laney [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
            [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Newc
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I'd still like to own a Sunn Model T, those amps were great in the 70's. You see em every once in awhile.

I've never played thru the beta or concert lead, but they were popular amps during the 70's, but I haven't seen anyone use one for ages.

Comment

A Laney would be nice... but Sunns are a lot cheaper and I don't have any money right now. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Black Mariah:
                  </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">What reason would you want one? Solidstate amps usually sound bad when overdriven in the outputs...
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">USUALLY. I wouldn't crank a Crate any further than I could throw it, but we're not talking Crate here. Sunns are a special breed. I'm not sure what the hell the dudes that designed these things were smoking, but they did it right. No, they don't sound like tube amps. That's the point. You will NOT find a more brutal sound than a cranked Beta Lead pounding your ass into dust (depending on your definition of brutal, of course).

The s**tty thing is, Sunns sound good ONLY when cranked (counter to everything that is solid state). If you don't have the power amp working, there's no tone at all. That's why I was wondering about the attenuator thing.

And if you don't believe me, find a cheap Concert Lead or Beta Lead and see for yourself. It's a Sabbath style tone, not a Maiden/Priest type tone.
                  </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Maybe it isn't necessarily the distortion in the AMP that you're wanting to hear... it could be the distortion/overdrive of speakers or just the sheer volume.

Pete

Comment

300 solid state watts into a 25 watt greenback cab... Who needs a distortion pedal...

Comment

Does it get that sludge Fu Manchu tone, BM??

Comment

It's definitely the amp. 300 watt PA speakers have a tendency to not distort. Then again, I am beating them to high holy hell...

Boxcar: Not quite a Fu Manchu sound. More like Burning Witch or Khanate. I think Burning Witch was using Beta Leads, Khanate's Model T's mostly. You can check out
                        Burning Witch at that link there.

Comment

Actually, Laney's are going in the same price range as Sunn. The Pro Tube series are running anywhere between 150.00-300.00. I've seen other later models go dirt cheap, under 300.00, rather good buys for the buck. Vinnie Moore used to use two of the Pro Tube 50's I believe. He reputedly recorded all of all of Meltdown with them and toured with them. I believe they may have been slightly modded, but with the cascading preamp, they're still not bad amps stock.
                          I own three which I'll need to ween out one of these days.

[ May 07, 2003, 08:59 AM: Message edited by: charvelguy ]

Comment

Working...
                          X