G-MAJOR midi controller recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G-MAJOR midi controller recommendation

The G-MINOR that came with my G-MAJOR is just a little plastic piece of crap. T.C. ELECTRONICS does'nt even supply the midi cables for it....i'd like a board that is compatable with my Major that can have atleast 5 patch settings (switches) laid out in front of me.

Re: G-MAJOR midi controller recommendation

I'd check out the Behringer FC1010 (whatever the actual name is). I was impressed with how good of controller it is for the $120-140 they cost new.

Comment

yeah the Behringer is a pretty serious piece...lots of features there...

I have a boss FC-50 that I stole on e-bay for 40 bucks... love there!... simple and ROBUST.

Also, the ADA midi footcontrollers seems to go around often and cheap!... for example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=22669

Comment

hey, forgot to say... you gotta be careful with the 5 - 7 pin issue!... count the pins on the midi port of your G-major!...

Comment

Be a little careful with some of these older midi pedals that go relatively cheap. Many of them only send an omni-channel midi message or are very limited in programming ability. I don't know anything about the ADA unit above, so don't take that to mean anything about it. Just make sure and check.

You want something that can send independent midi program changes messages on different channels and can also send separate midi controller command messages, if possible. Even if you don't have a use for any of this now. It's nice to get something that won't limit you down the line.

Ross

Comment

Ross, good point... the units I wrote about above are "dumb" and just meant to be simple midi switching devices for a single unit... if you want anything that does any programming at all the CHEAPEST will be the Behringer unit...

[ May 07, 2003, 10:12 AM: Message edited by: rodrigo_echeverri ]

Comment

the behringer is great for the money, i have the ground control pro, which is the cheapest real midi pedal you can get, which is awesome. on the behringer, i didnt like the foot swiches, and the fact you have to run an ac line to the pedal board.

Dave

Comment

Some other "dumb" midi pedals to watch for on ebay are the the old ART X-11, X-12, and X-15s and the Rockman ones. The ARTs seem to hold up suprisingly well and I've see then X-11s below $30 used in local stores.

Some other good options for midi controllers (vs. "dumb" pedals) are the Rocktron Midi Mate and if you only need a couple of patches per bank, check out the Axess Electronics one. It's as programmable and heavy duty as the Rocktron All Access and the CAE pedals, but has only 5 switches and is fairly inexpensive. I never had any problems with my DMC Ground Control, but the number of reported issues with their switches would have me concerned if I were shopping for another.

Comment

Thanx guys!

Comment

Ken, I have an old ADA MC1 controller that has two rows of five switches, and only the top row works. You can have this if you want it!

Comment

From their site:
                      Question
                      Which MIDI footcontroller do you recommend for the G-Major ?

Answer
                      We can recommend the following footcontrollers :

1.) ART X-15
                      2.) Digital Music Corporation
                      3.) Rocktron All Access
                      4.) Roland FC-200
                      5.) Custom Audio Electronics RS-10
                      6.) Lexicon MPX R-1
                      7.) ADA MXC
                      8.) TC G-Minor

Please note that not all of these boards are able to show the current on/off status of the effect blocks, directly after switching to a new preset. If you require this function please check out the following:
                      -The Rocktron All Access is able to show the On/Off status of the effect blocks, directly after a preset change. Of course, you'll need to connect both MIDI In and Out of the G-Major, as the unit transmits the On/Off information to the board upon preset change.
                      -The DMC Ground Control and Ground Control Pro achieve the same result, but in a slightly different way. They remember all the block settings itself, so only a single MIDI connection will be necessary. In general, preset change and CC will work with any MIDI footcontroller that supports both program change and continuous controllers. Click Here to see an example on how to set up the Ground Control Pro.

If you need real time control of parameters, follow their recommendations. There is a guy who posted on Harmony central (in the reviews) who walks you through how to set up the Behringer. I have an ART X-15 (Black/white, not one of the hot pink ones) and the buttons are REAL close together, and may be a pain in the ass on dark stages. Also, they use an optical strip that gets messed up if bright lights hit it while on stage and trying to use expression pedals.
                      I'd go to the Behringer or something else...

Comment

I have the Ground Control, I have had since 91, many many gigs small tours etc. The thing is bullet proof. Last year I sent it in for an upgrade to the new software, It's even better now.
                        www.kiddhavok.com
                        www.youtube.com/kiddhavokband

Comment

My Ground Control was an older one too and never had a problem. However, I've heard of a fair number of issues with the switches over the last few years and with the new version of it (different style of switches though). It makes me wonder if the issues were with bad batches of switches later in production.

One thing I do like about the Ground Control and Midi Mate is that you can use whatever pedal you like as a continuous controller. The built in ones do have obvious advantages, but I like the feel of using a heavy duty volume pedal rather than the built-in ones on most of these pedals.

Comment

the new ground control pro is built like a tank, real switches, no cheap plastic ones. I wouldnt see screwing up the plastic ones, but then again, i dont beat the **** out of my gear either.

Dave

Comment

I use the Roland FC-200 for my G-Major. Has a built in expression pedal as well. I am only controlling the G-Major, so not sure how it would work controlling a huge rack.

Works fine for me - it's a very sturdy unit, and you can get them fairly cheap on ebay and musicgoround.com. I have no manual for mine, which sucks, and I haven't been able to find one on the internet (anyone out there able to fix me up?).

- Eric

- Eric
                              Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

Working...
                              X