No announcement yet.

Advice needed on noise gates (hush?)...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice needed on noise gates (hush?)...

guys, ok, another one...

A friend of mine wants to buy a noise gate. He has an mp-1 and is happy having as his only concern the fact that it is a bit noisy. He wants to put a noise gate in his rack to deal with this problem. What would you recommend that is cheap and does the job well?... how many features can you expect on these things anyway?...

Thanks once more,

Rodrigo

Re: Advice needed on noise gates (hush?)...

For about $150 the dbx 266XL is a pretty killer compressor, which has a built in noise gate and limiter as well. It can double for home recording as well as in your guitar rig.

Comment

I think the problem with the compressors/limiters and noise gates in one starts when you connect the compressor prior to preamp, where all the buzz is starting to happen!
      Therefore the noise gate is not as useful as it would be if it could be connected on the very end of a rig system, right before poweramp!
      That would really be great noise removing!

How about a great standalone noise gate unit?
      And not to expensive either?
      How does Super C and other Rocktorn hush sistems differ from one another?

Comment

I'm using an old Rocktron Guitar Silencer, and it works extremely well. It has the HUSH system, but also a separate noise gate (two channel), and I don't even enable the gate portion. The HUSH alone takes all of the hiss and noise out of my signal, without affecting sustain or my tone. I don't know how the current models work in comparison, but this one is fantastic.
        sigpic

Comment

One of the cheap Hush 2 floor pedals work just fine. They are under $50.00 on Ebay all the time.
          I used an old NS-1 (I think it was a Boss or DOD) for years and it never let me down. It was around $40.00 brand new. My Quad X has a built in programmable smart gate that actually does not interrupt the long tail reverb or the delay. It is sort of like a "smart gate".

Comment

Boss NS-2

Nek

Comment

Working...
            X