Peavey rockmaster reviews

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey rockmaster reviews

Guys, I am posting again asking for opinions. I pretty much dont buy anything without getting endorsement from you.

I need your opinions on the Peavey Rockmaster preamp.

Also, if you would like to recommend any other preamps in the price range of 100-150 please go ahead!...

Thanks,

Rodrigo

Re: Peavey rockmaster reviews

Why don't you save your money up for a while and get a better preamp, like a Soldano SP-77 or something? That would give you more variety and a better sound.

Comment

Dont put ideas in my head or I will end up buying!.. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

what do you think of the Carvin Quad X?...

Comment

I'm curious about it too. I hear the Rockmaster is pretty raunchy crunchy compared to the obviously better quality SP77...

It might just do "one" thing though ya know... Then again, haha...

Comment

it's cheap and has a good shred tone from what i remember. if it said soldano on it, it would cost 10x's as much, and be magically better for some reason [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] it's good for the money, but been 10 years since i heard one too [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Dave

Comment

The Peavey is one of those hidden gems. For $100 you can't really go wrong with it. I've played one several times in a friends studio and have been very impressed. I know several guys from a different list I'm one that use them for fairly heavy music. (Read: they actually own the things rather than having just jammed on them a few times.) Their consensus is that you need off board EQ for good heavy tones. It has separate loops for each channel which is a very cool feature: run a different EQ for each channel.

Double-check this, but I think this is one of those items that has a proprietary footswitch. Just be careful if you look at one without the footswitch.

I used an SP-77 (mentioned above) for several years and loved it. It will cost you 4 times as much for that extra 10% of tone you get from the SP-77, and I think the Rockmaster will actually get heavier tones if that's what you're after.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxcar Willie 84:
              Why don't you save your money up for a while and get a better preamp, like a Soldano SP-77 or something? That would give you more variety and a better sound.
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Rockmaster is three channel I believe... so I'd say they have more variety. I haven't owned one for about 10 years, but the tones were decent from what I can remember. Not quite soldano territory, but nicer than a mesa studio preamp for overdrive.

Pete

Comment

When I said variety, I meant in his particular situation...the Rocktron preamp he uses now in conjuction with something a bit more high-end. Or something.

Comment

more high end like a G-major?... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] (don't do that Rodrigo!, please, you must pay your credit card first!)...

Man, I am sooo addicted!... it is gone bad...

Comment

Working...
                  X