Best amp for what I play......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best amp for what I play......

I like the idea of the JC120 for a clean building block, if you don't mind getting your distortion from off board devices. (Completely agree on the JC120 distortion. It's horrible.) Some other solid state amps that are very well built and would offer a similar clean building block would be the old Acoustic, Sunn, and Gibson Lab series amps. Unlike most modern solid state amps, these were built to go head-to-head with the high end tube amps of the time, so they're very reliable and easily repairable. (Most solid state amps now are built as cheaper alternatives, so many corners are cut in regards to construction quality.)

However, if you want distortion straight out of the amp, a modern one is probably your best choice. Randall has been doing a good job of this for a long time. Some of the solid state Marshalls are very well regarded for their sound, but I don't know which fit the bill.

Comment

I owned a valvestate 8100 (first version) for a bit... decent tones, some death metal bands liked these. Doesn't have the warmth of tubes, but if you're into a Pantera-ish tone, here ya go.

Pete

Comment

ampeg ss or vh140c should give you what you're looking for, and they can be picked up used for approx. 3-400 at daddys.com...d.m.

here's a sample of mine...
        http://onlinerock.com/musicians/torq//forsakensolo.mp3
        http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

Originally posted by rstites:

However, if you want distortion straight out of the amp, a modern one is probably your best choice.
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">More accurately, it depends on the type of distortion you want and how loud you're willing to get. Sunns especially have a really sick sludge tone, but it's not good for most metal music. Even worse, you can't get that tone unless you're willing to piss off neighbors and damage hearing (not yours. Wear earplugs).

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Villalobos:
            I play pretty much anything metal, alternative, punk, etc such as Dokken, Ratt, Motley Crue, Iron Maiden, Metallica, Slayer, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Danzig, Misfits, DRI, Exploited and a bunch of that nu-metal stuff. I play mostly in tuned to E and D, but go down to drop D, B, C and A if I can. My standard in distortion is the BOSS Metal Zone and I also run a DOD EQ, DOD Delay, DOD IceBox Chorus and a Morely Wah.

I also want to be able to get a bluesy sound and a 70's rock sound like Cheap Trick and KISS.

My main choice in pickups is the Seymour Duncan Distortion. I also use a DiMarzio Super Distortion and plan on using an EMG 81.

I have used CRATE amps almost the whole time I've been playing and havn't had any problems with them. I have never gave my amp very much thought and I think that is my weakest link in my gear.

Budget is the key. I can't lay down thousands for an amp. I need something in the budget amp area that can go the distance.

I have pretty much always used combos and have had a half stack before. I am looking to get a half stack now.I want something in the 100 watt range.

Here is a list of amps I was thinking about:

1. Randall RH100
            2. CRATE GLX 120 (just came out)
            3. Hughes & Kettner Warp 7
            4. Carvin

I'm open to suggestions for other brands. I don't want anything Marshall. I have played just about all of em from the JCM800, 2000, DSL, TSL and AVT series and I think they sound like fuzzy crap. I'm not into tubes either. I never realy have any oportunity to turn em up enough for them to reach full potential. As far as budget constaraints, no more than $1000.

Thanks for any input on this.
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">seriously try a XXL head or combo they kick ass man ! reasonably priced as well and the sound great live and loud and great at bed room settings I used it on this cd http://www.mp3.com/Severed_Serenity and my gain was rolled off to 5 ! my bottom was on 5 or 4 and my edge [highs] was on 7 and my mids on 3 , my guitar is the left [if your facing the speakers] //Steve

Comment

I bought an rh100 last year, they are a pretty solid amp for the money. It strikes me as kind of an extension of the mt-2 metalzone sound, along the same lines. I really like what I've heard of the XXL though, and wish I could have tried one out when I was looking. I'd say check that out before you decide.

Comment

If you dig your tone now, why not use your combo as a head and spend the money on a really complimentary cabinet that suits your style? Even if it is not a standard option on your amp, a qualified amp tech could ad a proper speaker out to your amp and then you could disconnect the speaker. This way you have your tone, more projection, more volume and no rattle at a very low price.

Comment

If its just the cab from the CRATE that bothers you, just use the head from the gx 212. Unplug the speakers from the cab and run the head into a 4x12 of your choice. I think thats the way to go if you're really budget minded. Sure it may not be pretty, but.......who cares?? If its the sound you're looking for, then its already there for you.
                  I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

[img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] Isn't that what I just said?

Comment

If you want a solid state that will do all that, you should really try the XXL. I have a tube amp myself but Steves XXL sounds crushing and he went through the Line 6 amps, Valvestates and this one kicks them in the ass! There is a Tight, med and loose setting. (Too bad some gi...ahhhh forget it) also the different gain settings make it quite tweakable.
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

well, no-one listens to Steve, but now that Dave has said it.... [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                        Hail yesterday

Comment

LOL, sorry about that BigDaddy. I guess I shoulda read all the posts before I reply.
                          I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

Originally posted by Word:
                            </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Ace:
                            Word is going to jump on my butt for this, but Carvin amps suck. I played with a Legacy for a full 20 minutes and I could not get one tone out of it that didn't EMBERASS me!! If you DO like Crate, I really like my Blue Voodoo. It's a all-tube amp, but you can find them real cheap if you look hard enough!! I don't share your aversion to tube amps, but if you want soild state the Flextone does a whole bunch of stuff, and they work fine for metal.
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">dick. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Just kidding, man. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Carvin amps aren't for everyone.
                            </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yeah, just for people like Steve Vai who've influenced millions of players! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Be more EMBARRASSED by your spelling
                            than the tones of the Carvin Legacy, bro!
                            It really helps to (A) Be sober, and (B)
                            Read the manual, to get the most out of
                            Carvins.

Comment

Working...
                            X