• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How should I hook this up??

Originally posted by Matt Crooks:
    Pete,

Please continue.

[img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img]
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Ok. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I've built tube amps and TS9 pedals from scratch, gigged for 15 years, had a limited endorsement from a guitar manufacturer, made a living teaching guitar for a few years at a music store, and currently own high-end tube amps *and* line 6 gear. Last night I built a turret board for my next amp - it's a custom low wattage high gain recording amp that is going to be really cool.

Oh, and I did try a boost pedal (TS9 and an 808 circuit) into the front end of my line 6 modelling/DSP/Freakin' SOLID STATE device. Sounded like crap. I enjoy learning new things from others, but if I've already been down that road, I know what it looks like.

And regarding modelling - a friend of mine has a vetta - running the out from it into one of my custom poweramps sounded MUCH better and warmer than the stock poweramp section.

Pete

Comment

I have tried it and the Boss sucks tone to begin with. The Line 6 isn't quite as organic as I like, but I think it sounds good enough. All I am saying is that the Boss the two amps and all of the unnecessary wiring would probably bother me...that is why I use my Rivera. It helps cut down on all that. I am not slamming you or your rig in any way...to each his own.

Comment

So Jim what was the final verdict? Did work out they way you wanted?

Scot
        www.kiddhavok.com
        www.youtube.com/kiddhavokband

Comment

Here's some schooling for you wise guy. Solid State amps get their tone using transistors. Modeling amps use DSP (Digital Signal Processor) chips with software to get their tone. There is a difference. Maybe you should sit down and play thru both sometime instead of thinking you know all the answers.
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">What do you think DSP chips are made from? I hate to tell you this, but it's transistors. Your modeling amp is as much a solid state amp as a JC120, a Peavey Bandit, or an Acoustic 150. It does use some processing between the input stage (standard old-fashioned transistor preamp) and the output stage (standard old-fashioned transistor power amp). However, it'll react to input boost, distortion, or overdrive devices the exact same way. If you dig that overdriven transistor preamp sound, go for it. Just don't be suprised if someone wonders why and asks about. Btw, you look very foolish going off on someone on a tropic they clearly know far more about than you do, however carry on if you wish because it is entertaining to read.

Seriously, if you're going to drag around enough gear to run two Flexton heads, cabs, etc. I'd certainly think about just taking the Engl and a good effects processor. It'll be a lot less headache and get you as many different tones as running the whole stereo thing...which only does you any good if you have a stereo PA.

Comment

Or crank two halfstacks louder than the PA. With 4 2x12's running off Flextones, you could actually get quadrophonic sound, like Pink Floyd had in the 1960's.

Comment

Working...
            X