Carvin baby...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carvin baby...

Ok, there is a new baby in my rack... it is a Carvin Quad X... I am very excited about this purchase!. You will know why if you read the thread here about them... here you have a picture of him [img]graemlins/baby.gif[/img] :

I wont tell how much I paid for it to avoid a riot here at the forum.. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

[ May 10, 2003, 04:33 AM: Message edited by: rodrigo_echeverri ]

Re: Carvin baby...

Congrats. Is it the older or newer version? I got mine for $220 but it is the older version and did not come the foot controller. I made one though. (The only difference between the two is the midi capabilities) I recently started to experiement running a distortion pedal on channel 2 through the loop for just that channel and it sounds great. This way I have 3 channels for gain and one clean. Ch 2 with a distortion pedal nails the channel for sound and I can get more volume out of Ch 2 so I use it as a lead channel. It sounds just like Ch. 4 with more volume and I can get more of everything else if I needed it there too. Also, I have mine all groove tubed as well. It sounds great. What are you using for a power amp? I am using the Tube 100 that was made for these units. I also have another Carvin power amp (HT150) that sounds pretty good with it too but the tubes in the Power section really make this preamp sing. I am going to put the HT 150 up on ebay soon because I am not using it and I have another power amp (ADA B200s) that I can use as a back up if I needed it.

[ May 10, 2003, 06:21 AM: Message edited by: Firebird V ]

Comment

So, how does it sound? Please post some clips if you get a chance...
      This electric phase ain't no teenage craze -UFO

Comment

I wish I could...

Comment

It is the new version and it is in very good shape... I paid US$300 for it, which I thought was a good price...

I don't have it at home yet as I bought it off a guy who is in florida. It will take a little over a week for me to get it. Once I have it here I will post some recordings...

My preamp right now is a Mesa 50/50 but in a week it will be a 20/20... I decided to go smaller after a while of owning the 50/50.

[ May 10, 2003, 03:11 PM: Message edited by: rodrigo_echeverri ]

Comment

That is a very fair price Roddie. Did you get the foot controller? If not I have a diagram for you. Let me know how the 20/20 is with it.

[ May 10, 2003, 04:01 PM: Message edited by: Firebird V ]

Comment

Firebird...no, I dont have the footcontroller... I intend to use midi... BUT I will LOVE to have that diagram as I know how to make these things!... can you please send it to:

[email protected]

Thanks, I owe you one!...

Rodrigo

Comment

Congratuations, your'e going to love it! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
                METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

Congratz too!!!!!!!!! You are gonna love it. I use mine with a Peavey sixt/sixty power amp and an Intellifex and it it awesome. The Peavey is a little to much power for me though. I amd gonna sell it or trade it for a smaller one. I like the Carvin power amps or the Mesa's. The Quad X is a truly great versatile preamp and is probably one if the nicest ones ever made.

Comment

Congrats Roddy!! The Carvin stuff is awsome and the Quad X is really nice. I personally love the New Guitars and amps Carvin is puting out these days, except that ugly 6 inline headstock [img]graemlins/brow.gif[/img] on the DC 127`s and such, but the 3x3 headstock on my DC 150 is sweet [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] . Jack.

Comment

I am glad people are giving these Carvin's a chance. I mentioned one a while back and got laughed at by all of the Bogner, CAE, Mesa, Soldano guys. It kicked the crap out of my SP-77 which lead me to sell the Soldano. I also sold my Triaxis, and JMP-1. Now I don't have the Carvin either since I use my Rivera. Enjoy your purchase. The noise gate and the reverb are also outstanding on it.

Comment

Roddie. I only have it on paper but it can be found on the carvin website. Good to know.

Comment

Firebird... can you please give me a link?...

http://www.carvin.com/manuals/quadx.pdf

ha!... I think the manual says in page ii "no part of this manual can be reproduced without written permission from Mesa Boogie Inc."... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

What a funny piece of writing... what a nice ripoff brought cheap to us preamp users!.... glory!...

[ May 11, 2003, 06:02 PM: Message edited by: rodrigo_echeverri ]

Comment

Hahaha.. this is hilarious!...

At the outset of the Quad X-Amp project we knew we wanted to do something new with tubes.
                            We surveyed every significant tube guitar amp ever made and came to a surprising conclusion.
                            They were all basically the same. Yes, they had their minor differences in features and
                            packaging but by and large everybody had just copied the early Fender circuits. Most
                            importantly, there was little new design work being performed on the actual overdrive sound.
                            The overdrive sound of most amps was not much more than an accident. We were not content to
                            simply place another Fender clone in pretty packaging along with some extra features."
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Then they decided to make a Mesa clone! ... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I just purchased a Carvin Quad-X Preamp, with Carvin Tube 100 Power amp and F-77 Footswith. It is the Midi model. I've jonesed for this setup since the 90's. Finally got one. Any of you Quad-X owners out there have advice and/or favorite settings for your preamp??? Any clips? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks. [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X