Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intellifex vs G-major

I am afraid to ask this... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

How much better is the G-major than the the Intellifex?... is the difference a lot?...

The price difference is pertty susbstantial...

[ May 10, 2003, 02:18 AM: Message edited by: rodrigo_echeverri ]

Re: Intellifex vs G-major

Here's a thread where I ran down the differences in my experience. Feel free to ask any questions you want and I'll try my best to answer them. There are plenty of people around who've had both.
    IMO don't bother with a used G Major. They've been going for $499 new with the G Minor controller and $400+ used on ebay. The G Minor sells for $50+ on ebay, so you're about as well off buying the package deal and ditching the footcontroller there.

web page

Comment

one thing I'm running into with the intellifex is that there aren't really any flanges. I kinda need em for some of the covers my band is doing, so I may be selling mine soon - it's an original one - ugly blue and black, but has the coveted "some say it sounds better" motorola chip.

Everything else sounds great, imho... really nice clean clear effects with little tonal loss.

Pete

Comment

Pete, one of the presets is called Flange somethingorother and is built off the 8 voice chorus. Do you have that preset on yours? It gets the flanger swoosh going. I didn't play with it too much, but I think the capability is in there. It'll take a bunch more programming than the G Major definitely.

Beware that I don't think either units flanger sound is something to get too excited about. If you're thinking about swapping around for a G Major, Pete, definitely try one out first. It definitely has more capabilities but I found that sonicly the Intellifex held its own on what it does, and that I have other devices that cover the other ground (flanger especially) much better than either.

I'm only selling my Intellifex because I just am not going to get around to using it. I played with it quite-a-bit one day and got some decent sounds, but after a while just said f&(* it. I unplugged it from the effects loop, put my old Chorus and Flanger pedal out front and just played. I'm just going low tech for now.

Rodrigo, aren't you doing almost exclusively studio work? If so, you might want to look into some of the old rackmount analog delay units. I have one of the Ibanez AD-190 Analog Delays that I use for some studio chorus and flanging. It's two rack spaces, all analog, and does delay, doubling, chorus, and flanging. Sonicly, it blows any of the more budget minded digital effects units away. The tradeoff is that it's two rack spaces and needs to be completely redialed in for each sound. (It also can get overdriven pretty easily by a hot effects loop, like my Soldano has, but seems to handle more normal loops and sends pretty well.) The Intellifex and G Major (and similar units) big selling point is a bunch of different sounds at the push of a button. IMO they're strickly for live use. I wouldn't use either to record with. (Depending on budget, I can certainly understand using either, so don't take that the wrong way.)

Ross

Comment

Ross, yes, the intention is to do mainly studio work... I like midi though...

I have ONE last space free in my tiny 6 space rack!... hmmm... grrr... I could change the case I guess... my preamp is already a two space!... I sold my Mesa 50/50 to open up the one space I needed for the Carvin and make the thing lighter so that I can take it on the plane with me!...

I am gonig to think about all this carefully... the more I look around the mroe I am convinced I should have one unit for time based effects and one for modulation effects... the G-major still sounds like a good solution though...

Oh, ok!... I dont care evry much about exotic effects. My main goal is to have a clean sound that resembles a JC-120 and a sweet lead that sounds like eric johnson in cliffs of dover (some delay, little reverb and little chorus I think)... I am not into monster sounds as I am a little bit of a purist...

[ May 10, 2003, 05:27 PM: Message edited by: rodrigo_echeverri ]

Comment

IMO, the chorus in the G-Major smokes the one in the Intellifex. I actually think the flange is a lot better, too, although I still haven't found a digital flange that sounds like a pedal.

Mike
            Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

Working...
            X