VHT 2150

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VHT 2150

I'd like to find more out about the 2150, a manual or any info would work. Just ecause i don't kno wmuch about power amps and rack gear. Thncx

Re: VHT 2150

hey, I wanted to read about them as well and can't find the manuals on their website... shame on them!...

Comment

The manual is short and doesn't say much.

It's a 62 pound Stereo 100+ watt per side rack mount power amp. Has Depth (Bass resonance) and Presence and volume controls. Voicing switches on the rear that alter the tone a bit.

Runs KT88 or sometimes 6550s power tubes and is the King of all power amps bar none. You'll be hard pressed (read that as impossible, haha) to find a better tube power amp, and it will make any preamp sound better.

The front fused ones are more highly regarded. I personally, would buy either and have seen the rear fused ones for great prices... You can hardly go wrong with any VHT.

But, per Steve Fryette the owner of VHT "starting in 1991 we increased the size and weight of the boards and copper, improved the high-voltage supply, made the chassis more rugged, added front panel fuse holders for easy access, and improved the stereo separation between channels".

So that would be what's up...

Comment

Thanks Cleveland, Im guessing you can only get the used, and they replace the standard head/amp - like a marshall head? Im pretty clueless, I only really know the guitar --> cord ---> amp. Then you would add the preamp for the diff channels im guessing? How much do these go for?

Comment

2150s are just a power amp. You would NEED a preamp to boost the signal from the guitar pickups to a level where the VHT 2150 could amplify it from there. You can patch effects in between them. The preamp is (usually) your source of distortion and tonal control usually...

A head has the preamp and power amp in one box. And will usually have an effects loops to get the effects in between the preamp and power amp.

Pricing? VHT2150s can be had for $700-$900us...

[ May 13, 2003, 01:42 AM: Message edited by: Cleveland Metal ]

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

So does that mean, that if you have a power and pre amp, you dont need a head? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] I'm totally clueless on this too.

Comment

combo = preamp + amp + cabinet

head= preamp + amp

Power amp = only amp

--------

Hey John, do power amps come with 16 ohm outputs usually?... I know Mesas don't... I hate that!...

[ May 13, 2003, 10:16 PM: Message edited by: rodrigo_echeverri ]

Comment

Depends, some do some don't have different impedances. My VHT2150 has setting for 4-8-16 on it. It's a serious piece. Some larger MESAs have that also I think.

Comment

I have 2 Egnater Rocktron Velocity Valve 80x80 all tube power amps, and heard its pretty close to a 2150 (i could have it confused maybe with a 2-90-2, or 2-50-2). They are great poweramps. I just wanted to know if anyone had any info about em, they seem pretty rare.

Comment

Working...
                    X