Tube sugestion: why?...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tube sugestion: why?...

Ok, the most fashionable topic around here: "tube tone..." I am posting an internal communication between John G and me in which he provides some suggestions for preamp tubes on the Quad X (hope you dont mind John.):

"The quad X has 9 preamp tubes and they are split up in sections per each channel which allows you to custom tailor every channel. I use Ruby's in the clean channels and Sovtek 12AX7LPS in the crunch and lead channels."

Ok, I am dumb, why is this?... the answer to this question cannot be found in Pete's article...

Thanks,

Rodrigo

[ May 13, 2003, 10:13 PM: Message edited by: rodrigo_echeverri ]

Re: Tube sugestion: why?...

Actually, the answer IS in there. In a tube amp where the channels are truly independent, you can use different tubes for different sounds. You might like the way a certain EL34 works in the clean channel, but prefer a 5881 on the distortion side (or whatever. I'm not tube-boy, Pete is [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] ).

Comment

It is pretty easy. The ruby's in my opinion sound more like a fender. Very glassy and open sounding with a touch of "compression". I use them in the 2 clean channels because they are fairly low output and very clean sounding. In channel 3 and 4 I use Sovtek 12ax7lps which are high gain preamp tubes and when they are stacked in stages (ganged up so that one effects the other and so on and so on) they create tons of gain that is a cross between Marshall and Mesa. I like the Mesa tone but it lacks presence and is scooped sounding whether you like it or not. I like Marshall tone but it lacks the bottom of a Mesa and is a very "middy" tone. The 12ax7lps tubes in channel 3 and 4 on the Quad x exhibit the best of both the Mesa and the Marshall. To me it sounds similar to a seriously hot-rodded Hiwatt or Soldano. Especially channel 4.

Comment

Everyones taste is different... Personally, I would use a Sovtek 12AX7LPS in my slingshot possibly... They are a harsh non musical tube to my ears. I have 8 or so misc sovtech tubes on the bench here collecting dust... I hate them all.

My CAE is a serious unit that displays tube character differences nicely. Although, like all preamps/amps it MAY favor certain tubes that may or may not sound great in another amp.

I've used a LOT of tubes in a lot of amps. Pete is a great source for this info as is Spiderman and Soloist1.

Ruby's are fine. I prefer NOS Chinese "Cheese Grater Getter" 12ax7 tubes for most everything. Although I do use one RCA 2025 in the last stage of my CAE.

Here are some great threads on my board regarding preamp tubes. Well worth reading.

http://pub154.ezboard.com/ftheclevel...opicID=5.topic

http://pub154.ezboard.com/ftheclevel...opicID=4.topic

Comment

Here is another example of how important tubes are. I had a Marshall 8100 valvestate head which is solid state. It has 1 preamp tube. It was a stock 12ax7. I experimented with 12au7 and 12ax7lps and alot of other versions and the amp sounded like everything from a Blues Deville to a Fender Roc-Pro 1000 to a JCM900. Heck with the 12ax7lps it almost sounded like a Mesa Dual Rectifier. I just picked up a Crate VC508 from Ace. It is 5 watts class A all tube amp with a Celestion 8" speaker in it. It is a total monster and since it is class A wired I believe I can really screw around with different tubes both power and preamp and customize it to get "my" tone. (whatever that is). Your Quad has 9 preamp tubes. Imagine all the fun you can have mixing and matching different tubes.

Comment

John... do you think I can borrow some tubes from you to check out on my Carvin?... I will record clips and compare. I will post and share...

Comment

Rodrigo, if you have a chance check out some Sovtek 5751's. I have them in my ADA MP-1 and they make a huge difference being slighty less gainy. It totally warms up the MP-1 and quiets down the noise quite a bit.

Comment

Roddy, all my tubes are matched and are property of the company I work for. No chance in borrowing any. They have to stay at work. I am surprised that Twisteramp didn't mention other tubes in his most excellent tutorial. You should ask him. He is most knowledgable regarding tube amp design so I am sure he could answer any amp related questions better than I. My specialty is guitar wiring and scalloping. I scalloped one of Warren Demartini's necks. I don't know whatever became of it though.

Comment

jem: I will put them in my list.

John: for the tubes I mean the other John (Cleve)...

Comment

Originally posted by rodrigo_echeverri:
                    Ok, the most fashionable topic around here: "tube tone..." I am posting an internal communication between John G and me in which he provides some suggestions for preamp tubes on the Quad X (hope you dont mind John.):

"The quad X has 9 preamp tubes and they are split up in sections per each channel which allows you to custom tailor every channel. I use Ruby's in the clean channels and Sovtek 12AX7LPS in the crunch and lead channels."

Ok, I am dumb, why is this?... the answer to this question cannot be found in Pete's article...

Thanks,

Rodrigo
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Here's the problem: There are many many tubes out there, and if I haven't heard one 'in person' - I'm not going to comment much on it. New preamp tubes are cheap - I'd suggest buying a ton of different ones and trying them out in your amps, then if there are some you don't like, see if you can trade other people them OR keep them as gig or emergency spares.

Also, different tubes sound well, different in different amps. A tube I may not like for MY amps may sound great in yours... case in point: My Budda LOVED cheap 12ax7EHs, but sounded like crap with expensive Telefunkens. My '68 Princeton was the total reverse. It really depends on the amp.

Pete

Comment

John... do you think I can borrow some tubes from you to check out on my Carvin?... I will record clips and compare. I will post and share...
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The only 'extra" tubes I'd have would be a few of the Sovtek 12ax7s... Let me look and see what different ones, I think I have three different Sovtek. Almost a waste of postage, haha... Chinese Cheese graters baybee ($5.99 on the bay man, best deal in around). They're cheapest bestest easiest to get tube around that sound great in lotsa amps we all use... All those chinese that I have are in use right now and those are really what you need to hear. I should have some current issue chinese I think that aren't as good, but cool still.

Let me know how many you think you'd need... Again, the Sovteks are only going to sound iffy at best IMO. Personally, I'd spend my time analyzing a "good" sounding tube, haha...

That thing has a lot of sockets and you'll spend some time figuring what socket controls what and in which sockets what tube makes the most difference. It's a time consuming venture. I did lots of that with my CAE.

If you read those links on my board, you'll see Soloist1 and Spiderman spent a lot of time doing that also with NOS vintage tubes.

Comment

jgcable,

can you give a more detailed review/impressons of the VC508? I was thinking of getting one of these to play with for home use.

Other possibl choices are a Fender Blues Jr. or the Crate VC1512.

Thanks

DRH

Comment

John... the Carvin Quad X manual tells you exaclty what is what!.. those guys wrote it like they were getting paid to do it!...

Can you please point out on ebay an auction that has the tubes you are talking about?...

Comment

Working...
                          X