Mesa Recto vs. Peavey XXX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa Recto vs. Peavey XXX

Does the XXX sound like a Recto? I've heard that there basiclly identical. How do these amps compare to each other?
    Thanks

Re: Mesa Recto vs. Peavey XXX

Nope.. they don't sound indentical.. at least not to my ears.

There are a few similarities.. but only a few.

IMO. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

The Peavey may actually sound better in some ways (IMO) because I really don't like MESA's that much.

But the MESA's construction is quite superior to the Peavey by far.

Comment

they don't sound much alike at all to me
        1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Comment

I played thru a XXX yesterday and a Dual Recto. The XXX seemed to have more versatility in terms of different tones with the 3 channels. It seemed to get a more ultra saturated sound than the Recto. The Recto however was clearer overall; no matter how high the gain I was still able to hear individual notes better, especially in bar chords. I did like the XXX and it seemed easier to get my pinch harmonics to really sing.

I left the store wishing that my Single Recto had a bit more saturation like the XXX.

Comment

I left the store wishing that my Single Recto had a bit more saturation like the XXX.
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">well then trade it + some cash for a Triple rec. cause thats your saturation right there.
            Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Will a Triple Recto really give me that much more saturation? The ones I've played didn't sound much different than my single. Plus I don't need 150 watts.

Comment

Nice response there, Dreamland. That was REAL helpful. Lemme guess: You either have or want a Triple Recto, right?

Venomboy, no. The front end gain on all the Rectos are pretty similiar. Have you tried different preamp tubes in your single?

Comment

[img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] Yeah Chuck, I thought the main difference between the Single, Dual and Triple Recto was wattage. 50, 100 & 150, but that doesn't affect gain if they're set up the same.

Comment

I forgot to add a sarcastic icon of some sort in my post... I know the difference between the 3 Rectos and I know it's pretty much wattage. I have JJs in the Recto. Don't get me wrong...I like it a lot. I like the different modes on the XXX and the versatility of it. I'm not yet convinced it has the TONE I want but the features and the saturation are nice.

Comment

i notice a huge differrence between all 3 recto heads. and the triple takes the cake - although you have to really crank it up loud for it to sound good so i don't use them. but if i were playing an arena, i would want one. but i'll stick to my EL84 powered .50 cal over anything. it blows most 100watters away while sounding better at the same time. but i do notice more saturation from the Triple rec than the single or dual. not to knock the XXX or peavey in anyway. i have nothing but good things to say about peavey. they are the broke musicians savior! great gear at a great price and i like that.
                      Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

I like the XXX better until the volume is past 5. Then the Dual smokes it. Not to many players can enjoy playing on 5 on a Mesa though.

Comment

Working...
                        X