THD univalve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THD univalve

Have you tried one?... the reviews are mixed on these things!... I heard people either looooveeee them or haaateeeee them...

Please tell me what you know...

Re: THD univalve

Twisteramps would be about the best I know of as he swore by them for a couple of years. And he posted some great sounding clips a while back using different tubes I beleive. I also may be interested in one as well. They seem too be relatively affordable also.

Ric

Comment

Pete (twisteramps) had one and raved about it for quite awhile. Then he sold it. Seems to be what happens alot with those amps. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] Cool concept, but not the most versatile for live situations I understand. I thought about getting one (I REALLY thought about it), but from what I got, it would never approach the gain levels I would need. I'd have to run a pedal in front of it, which would really defeat the "pure tone" aspect of the whole thing. I'd like to try one some day though. Until then - I just "model" changing my tubes with my Flextone and Replitone! [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

It would probably look a little funny with a little 15 watter going into a 1x12, with a Bengal Tiger or Snakeskin Gunslinger plugged into it! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Not to mention an effects rack!

[ May 16, 2003, 03:08 PM: Message edited by: chris_olson ]

Comment

Yeah, it would be cool to have one of these things with all the tubes mounted on it and be able to just switch among them I guess...

THD actually posted a lot of clips of the Univalve on their website being used with many different tubes... they got the concept wrong though... didnt record the "raw" sound of the thing, played different songs in all the clips... put backing tracks... talk about a waste of effort!...

Comment

Kind of like a high-priced tube tester! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] It'll let you find the "true nuances" of your tubes...one by one!

Roddy, you must be one of the most bored people I know! I swear half the posts on JCF are yours these days! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I wish I had the amount of time on my hands that you seem to! Some day you'll actually start playing guitar too, huh? Just kidding dude - have fun!

[ May 16, 2003, 03:16 PM: Message edited by: chris_olson ]

Comment

Sold mine because I have several lower wattage amps, and I can pretty much build whatever I want in the Univalve realm - ie single ended tube amps that can swap tubes at will. Heck, my power amps now have an optional attenuator that is very similar to the one in the UV.

The Univalve gets a great clean to classic rock tone. I gigged with mine... it's loud enough to gig with IF you don't need a clean tone and have a high powered tube. I usually used a KT88 or a 6550 for gigs.

If you're looking for death metal, you'll HATE one of these... also, power tube distortion is a lot creamier/sloppier than preamp distortion, so people who want tight stop on a dime metal rhythms hate these. A lot of people who get them think they will get insane levels of grind with one - and you can, but there is a lack of tightness at extreme settings.

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps:
              Sold mine because I have several lower wattage amps, and I can pretty much build whatever I want in the Univalve realm - ie single ended tube amps that can swap tubes at will. Heck, my power amps now have an optional attenuator that is very similar to the one in the UV.

The Univalve gets a great clean to classic rock tone. I gigged with mine... it's loud enough to gig with IF you don't need a clean tone and have a high powered tube. I usually used a KT88 or a 6550 for gigs.

If you're looking for death metal, you'll HATE one of these... also, power tube distortion is a lot creamier/sloppier than preamp distortion, so people who want tight stop on a dime metal rhythms hate these. A lot of people who get them think they will get insane levels of grind with one - and you can, but there is a lack of tightness at extreme settings.

Pete
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">So would it work for something along the lines of the lighter side of 80's hair metal - like Ratt or things along that line? The ever-elusive "brown sound"? Not Metallica or anthing like that. How do you think a OD pedal would sound in front of something like that? And with that, what was the "dirtiest" tube combo you found?

Comment

Originally posted by chris_olson:
                [/QUOTE]So would it work for something along the lines of the lighter side of 80's hair metal - like Ratt or things along that line? The ever-elusive "brown sound"? Not Metallica or anthing like that. How do you think a OD pedal would sound in front of something like that? And with that, what was the "dirtiest" tube combo you found? [/QB][/QUOTE]

I used a fulldrive II in front of mine... there isn't really enough gain for a 'metal' style distortion, and even 80s metal is pushing it. A 6V6 gets the most/best Overdrive, imho... since it's low wattage and also just drives so sweetly.

I was getting DEAD SOLID PERFECT Zeppelin tones out of mine - I played heartbreaker with some friends and I nailed that tone. Ditto for old ZZtop...

There's a guy on harmony central named Ratter that did a pretty convincing VH I tone with his, but he had to use some outboard gear. It is possible.

Pete

Comment

Hey Pete - thanks for being the antiacid to supress my G.A.S.! I have a feeling the THD would have a short stay with me. One amp that does intrigue me a bit is the Soldano Astro/Atomic amps. I was hoping to find one of those when I was selling off my Yamaha T-series amps. No dice at that time. (But I still stand firm that my T50 sounded KILLER! [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ) I'm going to try to sell off my Rocktron Replitone and get something a little LESS versatile. Yep. LESS. The Flextone fills that void just fine - the Rocktron is just another Fextone with different voicings. I'm thinking maybe a solid state Randall head, or maybe something like the Atomic. I'm still an 80's buttrocker at heart - always will be...

[ May 16, 2003, 05:58 PM: Message edited by: chris_olson ]

Comment

I"m finishing up a custom amp that has a hotrodded JCM800 style preamp with an EL84 power section... it should KILL for 80s metal. I'll post clips when I have it finished (hopefully this weekend). Should be around 5 watts, with a built in power attenuator and a really cool enclosure.

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps:
                      I"m finishing up a custom amp that has a hotrodded JCM800 style preamp with an EL84 power section... it should KILL for 80s metal. I'll post clips when I have it finished (hopefully this weekend). Should be around 5 watts, with a built in power attenuator and a really cool enclosure.

Pete
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Dude! That sounds WICKED COOL! I'll be looking forward to hearing them. It would be INSANE to get a Zakk Wylde grind in a 5 watt package! Wish I knew a DAMN thing about the innards of amps...

Comment

Working...
                      X