Metal Distortion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metal Distortion?

Rights guys, impart some of this knowledge Dave (The Enema) had been telling me about.

I have a Zoom TM-01 Tri Metal distortion pedal and a Marshall MG15, which i'm probably getting rid of sooner rather than later. However, the tri-metal just seems to have far too much gain, turning everything to mud with no dynamics or definition. Can you guys recommend any other metal distortions for me to try out? (I'm thinking Metal Zone, DOD Death Metal, etc...)

Thanks in advance!

Re: Metal Distortion?

Try the Tubescreamer TS-9 it can get a great 80's-90's metal sound and seems too make some amps sound very tubeish. Also try the Boss Metalzone preferably an older one they seem a little warmer than the newer ones to my ear. Digitech has a couple of pedals that morph from different voices of distortion such as Boss too a Recto type and so on. Try as many as you can,but remember that each amp acts differently with pedals so if you get that awesome tone with your current amp your new amp may act way different with the same pedal.

Ric

Comment

Originally posted by New Found Power:
      I have a Zoom TM-01 Tri Metal distortion pedal and a Marshall MG15, which i'm probably getting rid of sooner rather than later. However, the tri-metal just seems to have far too much gain, turning everything to mud with no dynamics or definition.
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Maybe a dumb question, but have you tried lowering the gain control instead of just keeping it maxed? Are you using it through your amp's clean channel and not through extra distortion from your amp?
      Also, try keeping your amp's eq flat in the middle and using the pedal's eq to shape the sound, or vice-versa. I personally would stick with the Tri-Metal instead of the Metalzone. And I wouldn't want to even use the Death Metal pedal (no gain control at all, sounds like a swarm of bees!!)
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Korg 104 DS hyperdistortion is a nice pedal.

The Death metal is a horrible piece.

A metal Zone with some out board tweaks may be useable... Lotsa guys recorded stuff that was good with them. I never was happy with them myself though.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam:
          </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by New Found Power:
          I have a Zoom TM-01 Tri Metal distortion pedal and a Marshall MG15, which i'm probably getting rid of sooner rather than later. However, the tri-metal just seems to have far too much gain, turning everything to mud with no dynamics or definition.
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Maybe a dumb question, but have you tried lowering the gain control instead of just keeping it maxed? Are you using it through your amp's clean channel and not through extra distortion from your amp?
          Also, try keeping your amp's eq flat in the middle and using the pedal's eq to shape the sound, or vice-versa. I personally would stick with the Tri-Metal instead of the Metalzone. And I wouldn't want to even use the Death Metal pedal (no gain control at all, sounds like a swarm of bees!!)
          </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Already though of this, and came up with a pretty strange effect when i took it to the extreme...turned all the controls (Gain, middle, treble, bass) to 0, leaving the level at 5.
          I could still hear through the amp an extremely quiet but full on recto distortion. with gain on 0!!!!
          [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
          Hence i would like a pedal where i can get control over the level of distortion, instead of just being on too much all the time. Can the Metal Zon be turned down to give a useable megadeth style crunch? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

I use a metalzone-->tubescreamer-->fx loop , it sounds pretty good, i think you'll get a decent megadeth sound, i dont even bother to plug my guitar in my crappy amp, it goes right into the metalzone.

Comment

Originally posted by Gpops:
              I use a metalzone-->tubescreamer-->fx loop , it sounds pretty good, i think you'll get a decent megadeth sound, i dont even bother to plug my guitar in my crappy amp, it goes right into the metalzone.
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You use your pedals in the effects loop? Gain-based effects such as overdrive and distortion are supposed to be used in front of the amp and not in the loop. Well, as long as it sounds good to you, cool, I guess! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

New Found Power, how is the normal distortion on your amp without a pedal? Can you get a decent sound out of it? If you do, then I'd suggest running in front of the amp one of the Tube Screamers or DOD Juice Box (or some other type of overdrive pedal) to boost your already distorted amp.

Comment

i have played his pedal and i can say that it is a amusing amount of gain, in my band which is a rocky punky type affair even between 1/8 and 1/4 gain it was still far too much, veyr harsh and metally when i want a more rocky warmer sound

i recently got a dod yngwie malmsteen preamp overdrive and it is excellent, turns a bit mushy on full (when playing riffs, for chuggy powerchords its excellent) but tur down the gain and its excellent, warmer rock on lower gain to heavy metal with high gain

best bet is to try all teh pedals you can, the shops near us dont really have many in at the moment but best ideas to have a look, rnb have quite a lot of boss ones and some dano minis (not sure how they sound) adn a feww odd ones, not sure about bruce millers though

David

Comment

You use your pedals in the effects loop? Gain-based effects such as overdrive and distortion are supposed to be used in front of the amp and not in the loop. Well, as long as it sounds good to you, cool, I guess!

Yep, it goes, sl2h->metalzone->tubescreamer->delay/reverb->fxloop and i leave the fx return pluged with a sepperate cord. I did this so the amp wouldn't effect the sound, imo the sound of my avt50 combo is to bright and crunchy and thin for my sound, so the way i'm using it, the amp cant effect the tone. am i making sence?

Comment

I use a Metal Zone chained with a Boss GE-7 EQ through a JCM 800. The Metal Zone gives all the distortion you would want and the GE-7 gives it great definition.
                      Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

Originally posted by Gpops:
                        You use your pedals in the effects loop? Gain-based effects such as overdrive and distortion are supposed to be used in front of the amp and not in the loop. Well, as long as it sounds good to you, cool, I guess!

Yep, it goes, sl2h->metalzone->tubescreamer->delay/reverb->fxloop and i leave the fx return pluged with a sepperate cord. I did this so the amp wouldn't effect the sound, imo the sound of my avt50 combo is to bright and crunchy and thin for my sound, so the way i'm using it, the amp cant effect the tone. am i making sence?
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Makes sense.

Comment

Working...
                        X