Just bought a Metaltronix M-1000!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Just bought a Metaltronix M-1000!

Hey Paul, one more question, does the mesa 4x12 match the M-1000 looks wise? I know that it should only matter how it sounds, but im just wondering.
    Toejam: Do you know any of the songs that Zakk played them on? I'd love to check some out!

Comment

Not sure what he played it on, but I would guess possibly something on No Rest For The Wicked, maybe? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] I remember seeing pics of him in old guitar mags back in the day with both the head and matching cab.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Thanks Toejam!!

Comment

No problemo! Not sure if he used it for recording or just live work, but there may be info out there somewhere.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

These heads are a good bang for the buck. They are not handbuilt series. They were designed by Lee. Not handwired. They are circuit board built. Not knocking them.... Just not handbuilt as somebody earlier said. They were built by Horizon which built heads for Crate and Ampeg. Horizon is the owner of these companies. Lee worked for Horizon for some time and designed heads for Ampeg and Crate as well. I have never seen or owned one of the Crate designed heads. The Ampeg VL series sounds the best for heavy thicker tones but the XLS was my favorite out of all of them. Great heads anyway. The Ampeg series seemed to have problems with the Tranny's as they sometimes died an early death. The heads are of similar build quality to Crate and Ampeg and are a bit of a pain in the ass to work on so treat her good. Both of mine that I owned were excellent heads (Paul owns my old XLS). To compare them to a 2,000 (used) boutique head i.e. a Soldano SLO - Military grade parts - all hand wired - easy to work on - or even a Rectifier, as far as quality of build is unrealistic at best. They are what they are.... Great sounding heads in my opinion but handbuilt they ain't. On that note, If Paul ever wants to sell her back, I would buy it again. [img]graemlins/rant.gif[/img]

[ May 19, 2003, 06:31 PM: Message edited by: Firebird V ]

Comment

Dude you need to do your research. I collect Lee's amps and have playing his stuff since the 80's. The M-1000 is a hand built head and was not put together by Horizion. The Metaltronix heads were built by a team of Lee's people in CA. Horizion distributed the Lee Jackson amps but again they were also hand built. The Ampeg and Crate amps designed by Lee were mass produced and were not even hardly in the same quality department. These amps were not hand built and a lot of the parts were very massed produced by those companies. I know what I am talking about so please don't even try to question it. j/k I hope everyone has a chance to own one of these amps once in their life time. I do favor the XLS-100 though.

Comment

Hey john,the mesa cabs have a tolex covering where the m1000 has a powder coating.They dont match exact but they are not to far off.If you are asking because you are concerned about looks dont worry you cant really tell the difference.I think the metaltronix cabs have the same tolex covering as the mesa cabs.Hope this helps paul.Firebird v I think you are getting the metaltronix and verizon amps confused with the ampeg and the crate stuff.All the metaltronix and x series amps are hand made.

Comment

Yes you are correct. I wasn't reading what I was writing. I was speaking of the Ampeg and Crate heads which were not handbuilt. The M1000 were handbuilt. The XLA and XLS heads were also built this way. They dont compare in quality of parts used to a $2000 head though.. Have you opened one up? They are a pain in the ass to work on. For example, If you blow a pot up you will need to take the whole head apart just to get to it ( and remove some boards - unsodiering them too). And the pot shafts are made of plastic... Poor quality compared to other high end heads. The trannys and parts inside are nothing in quality compared to other high end amps that are in a 2g price range. I am not bashing them at all. They are great heads. My point is: They sound great but the quality, as in parts used inside and design from a "Fix it easy" standpoint is not on par with a head in a 2k Soldano,Bogner,Engl,VHT, price range. I have a 5150 that I love but inside it is built like crapola.... Get my point? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

[ May 20, 2003, 07:14 AM: Message edited by: Firebird V ]

Comment

Working...
                  X