• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you...

Does anyone no how to get the Randy Rhoads
    sound off of crazy train. Just curious to see
    if I could get it.

And yes if you don't know my dad is flametop. [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Re: How do you...

Although not really an awesome tone. it might be hard to nail. I sort of remember that he used older marshalls, MXR distortion box I think, and weird micing techiques, something about a stone room or hallways, and lotsa multitracking...

Comment

John always makes me think... you just made me realize that the crazy tone is a little muddy... my thoughts about this sound are:

1) High mid-range... cut lows.
      2) No effects.. just raw preamp sound... John is right, it does sound like an old Marshall...
      3) High output pickup I think... maybe an 81 or a Trembucker distortion (I owned this and it does come close)?...
      4) If you record bring the guitar really up in front of everything on the mix... like shamelessly (almost annoyingly)...
      8) Maybe an mp-1 can give you the distortion sound?... when I get mine I will explore... I remember I pulled out a similar setting at the store before...

I am thinking about this myself now... nice question!...

Comment

I don't know why, but every time I hear "Crazy Train", I always think of a Boss DS-1 Distortion pedal. Shoot me brutally, but I've always thought of the "Crazy Train" tone as very thin and lacking bass, which is something that I find that the DS-1 pedal can do. [img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

I'm not really an Ozzy fan, but is Randy's tone more like "Mr. Crowley" in the other Randy-era Ozzy songs? I do enjoy that tone a lot more.

Comment

Randy used his Gibson Les Paul Custom on that track, along with two old Marshall 100 watt stacks and an MXR Distortion+ and a 10-band MXR graphic eq. He set up his eq in a "frown shape" with the mids boosted and the lows and highs cut a bit. As far as the Distortion+, he probably maxed out both controls. On Mr. Crowley he used his Karl Sandoval V, and to me you can really tell a difference in the two guitars' tones on the Blizzard album...listen to I Don't Know, Crazy Train, and No Bone Movies for the Les Paul, and Suicide Solution, Mr. Crowley and Revalation Mother Earth to really hear the Sandoval...to me the Les Paul is warmer and fuzzier where the Sandoval has a more trebly bite. Maybe I'm crazy!

Comment

Yea,I also heard somewhere that he put his cabs in a stone hallway to get that sound.His tone is very high end almost to much trebel.Lacking bass.

Comment

Randy was an amazing player and his legacy will live on, but I always thought the tone on crazy train was horrible, at least that rhythm.

They also used a digital delay on that song to get the 'hollow' sounding guitars. Of course, the solo was multitracked three times. Interesting tone, not sure I'd like to gig with it.

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps:
                Randy was an amazing player and his legacy will live on, but I always thought the tone on crazy train was horrible, at least that rhythm.
                Pete
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I totally agree!
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Awsome, thanks for your help

[img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]

Comment

You can also hear the Flanger in there.

Matt

Comment

The first thing I think of when I hear the rhythm sound on Crazy Train is small speakers. I know that wasn't the case, but every time I've heard a similar sound, it's been through a small combo with 8" or smaller speakers. Maybe they used a ton of compression in the studio or something. Who knows?

You know, I've always thought that it sounded similar to the Boston rhythm sound.
                      Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

Originally posted by OnlineStageGear:
                        You can also hear the Flanger in there.

Matt
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That's the digital delay - it acted like a comb filter.

Pete

Comment

I've heard that Randy used 10' inch altec speakers. I have never heard of them as far as guitar speakers, only computer.

Now that my JCM is moded, the second mode really kinda nails that tone. It's very midrangy, overdriven and unfocused. I don't even use it.
                          Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

Comment

I know he used altec lansing speakers. check them out http://www.alteclansing.com

Comment

THey don't make guitar speaker no more as far as I know...

I think remember when Carvin had them and EV as an option...

Comment

Working...
                              X