Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problem with buying amps from different countries?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with buying amps from different countries?

I'm intrested in buying a Mesa Studio .22+ off e-bay from an American seller but I'm a bit concerned about the plugs/voltages etc. I live in Ireland, would I be able to use the amp over here without damaging it or anything or maybe change the plug on it or something? My friend has a sequencer that he bought in Canada and found an adapter that it works with. Would it be the same with an amp??

Thanks

Re: Problem with buying amps from different countries?

Depends! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Some amps have a voltage selector switch, so can be used world-wide by just using an adaptor or changing the power cord. Others don't have an option for running at other voltages and can only be used with a separate step transformer. I assume Ireland runs on 220 V and all North American voltages are 110 V.

Amps have built in power supplies, so you're more limited than with gear that have external transformers. Those wallwarts that we all hate do make moving equipment from country-to-country a bit easier since you just have to buy a different one to use the unit.

Comment

Hey man, look on the maplins site, and get a step-up or step-down transformer (i forget which).
      These are designed to let you use UK stuff in the US, and vice versa.

Comment

Most stepdown/step up transformers are not really meant for running a high amperage thing like a tube amplifier. Most are intended for temporary travel useage of solidstate items, razors, hair dryers, maybe laptops etc... Investigate thoroughly before attempting to use one of these things.

Check whether it has the switching like mentioned previously. Many high end tube amps will have the ability to switch the voltage as they are expected to be used all over the world.

Comment

a 50/50 power amp will suck 500 watts. I suggest you get a converter that is at least 1 Kw for your rack.

Rodrigo

Comment

A lot of those converters are 1500 watts for hair dryers... But, a tube amp will fry them with extended useage. They aren't very heavy duty.

Comment

You can actually buy fairly big ones that will work for what you need.. when we moved overseas all of our stuff was 110V, my parents still run most everything (TV's, stereos, etc.) off transformers after 10 years and haven't had any problems.. but you need heavy duty transformers, small ones will just burn up.. I ran my marshall off a transformer for a few months before moving back to the US and never had any problems.. but like I said, its the kind of transformer that weighs 20lbs and is as big as a cinder block. Just find a transformer thats capable of handling 5000+ watts.. they cost around $50 but atleast your house won't burn down.

Comment

exactly, get a very powerful transformer and a surge protector/type outlet with a circuit breaker..If the transformer starts to heat up, stop playing, though i doubt it would if its 5000+ watts.
                Cheers

Comment

Hmm The cinder block sized transformer isin't really very practical since I move my gear fairly regularly. Does anyone know if the Mesa Studio .22 has one of those voltage switchs on it? Is there any reason why the American voltage is half that of the European one

Comment

I don't know why the rest of the world has chosen to use the higher voltage for household items, but this is one case were the US standard is better IMO. It's much, much less likely to kill you and requires thinner wiring, etc. for wiring houses. FYI, the US standard does supply higher voltage to the house, but it's only used on those items that really benefit from it (big appliances: AC, ranges, dryers, etc.).

That still doesn't help your case and I don't know the answer to that is. My guess is that you're probably out of luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Cack:
                      Hmm The cinder block sized transformer isin't really very practical since I move my gear fairly regularly. Does anyone know if the Mesa Studio .22 has one of those voltage switchs on it? Is there any reason why the American voltage is half that of the European one
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Well, a cinder-block sized transformer is
                      no bigger than an amp head or small cabinet, and it is much more practical
                      than blowing up gear and having to rebuy
                      it, or burning down the house or venue
                      because you're too cheap, or too lazy, to
                      get what you need and carry it around.
                      That's like the guys who bust off the
                      ground on their 3-prong plugs because they were too short-sighted to stop by the store (even grocery stores have them)
                      to get an adapter. They're 50 cents at the hardware store, $1.50 at the supermarket; c'mon!

Comment

Working...
                      X