Wah advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wah advice

I've never used a 535Q but I'll give my opinion on the Bad Horsie ][ which is what I currently use. Don't buy it. Save some money and get the regular Bad Horsie. The Bad Horsie ][ adds nothing but a bunch of noise. I now keep all the added controls turned off and just use it like a regular Bad Horsie. The switchless design and True Bypass would be the best things about the Bad Horsie. From what I hear, the sweep isn't quite as agressive as the 535Q but it seems fine to me.

It's all personal preference really. Try them both and decide for yourself. I couldn't live without the switchless design personally.

[ May 23, 2003, 01:25 PM: Message edited by: Lesser Known God ]

Re: Wah advice

i found the bad horsie to have a terrible tone....sure the switchless thing is great, but it just doesnt sound good.....ive gone through a ton of wha pedals, the best one ive found so far are the vox or the budda

Comment

I know a guy with a 535Q and he loves it. There's a trim pot or control of some sort that allows you to control the amount and type of wah. I don't like the swichless Morley's.

Comment

I play a regular Crybaby and love it! I've also tried the switchless Crybaby at GC one time a couple years ago (95Q I think it is), and that was pretty cool. It has a kick switch for volume boost, and it had a Q control and some other control on the side. I've never tried the Morley stuff, but I like the Dunlop Crybabies just fine.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I've got a GCB-95 Dunlop ("Original Crybaby") and I added a Q knob - not hard at all. I set it to cut the harshest highs.
          The Hendrix pedal also sounds good.

Newc
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

The Morley was too sloppy for me in the pedal.I really like any of the Dunlops. I have the Cybaby From Hell as well as a Crybaby and love them both. They feel tighter to me.
            www.kiddhavok.com
            www.youtube.com/kiddhavokband

Comment

I use an old Crybaby I got for $15 at a pawn shop in Minnesota christmas before last. I don't like the tone suckage, so one of these days I'll rewire it with a true bypass... I also have used a buffer preamp before it. Stock it sounds like crap when it's turned off.

Comment

thanks every one for the great feedback, it looks like most favor the Dunlop. On the Dunlop site they say the 535Q has a hard bypass, this is the same as true bypass isn't it? I don't want anything that'll suck tone in the off position. I understand it will color the signal when it's on but isn't that why we like em!
                Thanks again ...........I love this place

Comment

Sorry my mistake I just double checked the dunlop site description and it says hard wired on off switch. Not hard bypass.....
                  My question still stands though about true bypass

Comment

I use a Dunlop High Gain volume pedal in front of the wah, as well, so any tone suckage (which is usually only noticeable with high-end/boutique amps) is greatly diminished.
                    Besides, Joe Shmuckatelli in the audience isn't likely to point out that your tone is being sucked [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc
                    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Newc I have to agree with you on the Joe Smuckatelli statement. It seems the only ones who really notice these things are other musicians or the sound man. I'm curious as to how you like the high gain volume pedal as that's the next link in the chain I'll be after.I guess I should start another thread. I'm curious about the gator or something cheaper that will do just as well.
                      I want to go from my 2H or srat into volume,wah,ABY- one side to rack with pl plus, MP1,ART,BBE,20/20 into G flex...the other side to Boss line selector,RP12 (I know)and into older Randall RG100ES with 4 12s. I use the selector to bypass for straight amp sounds. The two amps when played together sound phenominal when they're balanced just right but when I'm just in one I need a little volume boost. I would work my guitar knob but it changes the way the pickups respond. I usually have it full on but I do use guitar volume as well as the tone to get different sounds. The Sl2H is very versatile in this area. I can't believe that some people never really use the guitars controls or even have them removed. Sorry to go on like this.....so far the noise level is fairly low for this setup and I'm trying to keep it that way. That's why I'm concerned about any extra noise. Any noise in the front end of the chain will only be amplified!

[img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

I've got a Dunlop 535Q I had posted for sale in the Classifieds a while back, but nobody wanted it. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

If you decide you want one, mine is in nearly new condition with box and manuals, and the 18-V AC adaptor.

It's a great wah, I just happened to get a Boss wah/distortion/overdrive modeling pedal and, though it doesn't sound quite as good as the Dunlop, I use its overdrives, and 2-in-1 pedal makes my pedalboard happier space-wise hehe.

Just shoot me an email and we can talk about it...

[email protected]

Comment

Wah advice

I can't believe it ! I did the search thing on the board on wah's and it gave me nothing. I'm trying to decide between a Morley bad horsie II or a dunlop 535Q. I know there's plenty of wah users out there. Please what can you tell me about these, good and bad. Do the pots go out relatively quickly still in the dunlops? I used to have an older one. thanx charlie

Comment

Okay. The Morley is switchless. Very Cool feature. The tone is good but highend and not as throaty as the dunlops. All an opinion which sounds better though. I have a Morley Bad H and a Dunlop wah and soon to have a Dunlop rack wah ( it is being shipped).

As far as pots going.... They go but not like every month or something like that. I have never had one crap out but in any case it is a $5.00 part AND 10 MINUTES TO REPLACE....

HOPE THAT HELPS!

Comment

EDIT: Double posted ??????

[ May 23, 2003, 12:47 PM: Message edited by: Firebird V ]

Comment

Working...
                              X