Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pickup advice - is this the right forum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup advice - is this the right forum?

I'd like some advice from the die-hard Jackson collectors...
    I have 2 late 80's soloists, both with 2 Humbuckers, and do not like the "response" of the stock Jackson pickups.
    I want to change one over to a JB in the Bridge and a Dimeola in the neck (may end up switching over to a Jazz if it doesn't match up nicely w/ the JB), while I want to do a Lawrence 500XL in the bridge and 500R in the neck of the other guitar. This is to mainly give me more tonal options, as my other guitars have EMG's or Duncan distortions in them.
    How will this change affect later collectibility of these guitars? Of course, they can be swapped out if I ever decide to sell.
    I mainly use my 7 string soloist. But to save fret wear and tear, I sometimes use another 7 string at practice. I have also started switching over to 6 string on songs that I can get away with it. And I prefer my soloists for this.
    My dilemma - 1 soloist is more of a player than a collector due to its condition, even though it is a pretty rare configuration - 2 HB with reverse headstock. But she is faded (white to cream), and has some chips and dings - well loved before I got her. The other is MINT - not even a pick swirl in the clearcoat. I love the color of this better (sort of a glow in the dark yellow, even though it doesn't glow), but I do not want to expose her to a smoky club, or have to worry about someone stealing her. I prefer a heavy live tone, and I expect that the Lawrences may be a better choice. Should I put the Lawrences in the "Player", or the "collector" that will more likely just be used for studio work and occasional practice?
    Thanks for any advice.

Re: Pickup advice - is this the right forum?

Pickup swaps are really only an issue with vintage Fender/Gibson snobs. Everyone else has the balls to play the stuff they payed for, so tone matters. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Pickup swaps are generally regarded as an improvement and while not doing anything to increase the resale value it most likely won't hurt it either. I'd think twice before doing anything permanent, but pickups are two solder points and some screws. No big deal at all.

As far as which to use, I'd have to go with the Distortion in the player. I haven't found a heavier tone yet. However, I've had people swear that Distortions are very trebly and have a lot of bite, but the one in my Soloist is low end personified. Give them both a shot if you can.

Comment

Wayniac, do you already have a L500XL?
      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Racer X -
        No, but a friend had/has one, and it even made one of his low end Ibanez's sound great. And I'm 99% sure it was an XL.
        Is there a problem with them, or have you heard negative things about them?

Comment

Working...
        X