Best Small Tube Amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Small Tube Amp

I've decided that i'm going to sell my JCM900 100w 2x12 combo cause a) its too big b) its too loud c)i'm not really too happy with the sound of it. I'm looking for a 1x12 combo that is loud enough to play with a band and small gigs but also sounds alrite at lower volumes. I play everything from Blues to 80's metal to Pantera.
    Any suggestions? Oh yeah and how much do you reckon I'd get for my JCM 900? Its in good condition and has bein fully retubed in the last month with JJEL34's and JJ12AX7's

thanks

Re: Best Small Tube Amp

Mesa Boogie Studio .22+. Game over!

Comment

I agree...except that Pantera would be a stretch.

My Mark III combo has a better raw tone and my rack setup can do a lot more, but you can't beat the .22+ for convenience.

A neat trick that I picked up is to set the graphic eq with the sliders below the center line to get a good rhythm sound and then turn off the eq for leads. This gives me a built in volume boost. All I need to jam is the amp and a guitar. I don't have to bring any other junk, AND it weighs less than 40 lbs.
      This electric phase ain't no teenage craze -UFO

Comment

I know you said 1x12 combo but you may want to consider a small rack with a mesa 20/20 I got one recently and I'm more than just happy! This unit is sweet, good for all styles and can be heard over drums,bass and another guitar.I run mine with an MP1,ART 2000(mostly for secondary EQ)and BBE.This signal then goes to a G-Flex 2x12 stereo cab. This set up is not very difficult to haul around at all. You can get most of these used fairly reasonable except for the G-Flex I guess they're still too new to find many used ones around but you might get lucky, or get a used Mesa 2x12 recto cab.

Comment

I've got a Mesa Studio .22+ and I'm with Chuck et al, you can't beat it for price and convenience. I've got a Mesa 20/20 powered rack as well, and it's sweet, but like all racks, it cost a lot - in fact, the 20/20 alone cost me as much as the Studio .22+, and I also have two preamps (Piranha and JMP-1), an effects unit (TC G-Major), a midi loop switcher, a power condition/lights unit, and a wireless in there (not to mention the rack itself and a couple of good cabs)... Racks add up! Geeze, I'm freaked by how much money I got wrapped up in this thing!! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Mesa Subway Rocket...Sounds to me like a little Dual Recto on the right settings! A nasty growl for such a small amp! Just my opinion mind U! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

[ May 26, 2003, 06:01 PM: Message edited by: WarriorX7 ]

Comment

Maybe a Mesa F-30? I've always wanted to check out the Subway Rocket though...

Comment

I am going to give a solid vote for the Mesa F-30...

Comment

A studio 22+ will never do Pantera without outboard effects and preamps. A Peavey Ultra 112 certainly will. It will go from Fender clean to Pantera with a flick of the dial. I had a Ultra 112 and a 212 for a while and they were both incredible SS amps that are solid built and have Sheffield speakers in them. If you are looking for a tube 1 x 12 amp take a look at the older Carvin X60B combos, Laney combos and the Fender Hot Rod Deville. For Mesa I would look at the 50 Caliber.

Comment

Originally posted by chris_olson:
                    Maybe a Mesa F-30? I've always wanted to check out the Subway Rocket though...
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I'm telling ya...I've owned Dual Rectos for about 5 years now...those little Subway Rockets kick a$$! and they are a helluva LOT less expensive than a .50 Caliber!
                    I will admit (as a die hard Mesa user) that the latest lineup of Peavey amps are quite good for the money too!

Comment

I'd get a mesa .22+... more toneful to my ear than anything else listed above. If you want a solid state pantera sound, get a solid state amp. The .22+ is 'above' that type of gutter tone. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Pete

Ken, btw - I've seen a few .50 calibers here locally for between $325 and $400, and usually when I see subways they are more. must be the region of the USA we live in...

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps:
                        I'd get a mesa .22+... more toneful to my ear than anything else listed above...
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">[img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

Translation for the above poster: From all the amps listed in the thread so far, I think the studio .22+ is much better sounding.

Personal opinion only, of course.

Pete

Comment

Opinion that is shared and supported right here.

Comment

Could I not use a OD peal to get more high gain sort of rhythem tones out of it. When I said Pantera I didn't mean I want the exact tone, I was more using it as an example that I also play heavier sort of metal. One thing I do admire about the Pantera tone thought is the sound when palm muting. Its sound awsome, real powerful and big (best shown on Far Betond Driven). Pete(or anyone who has a Mesa .22+ studio) Do you know if it has a 110V-220v switch on it so I can use it over in (Ireland). And lastly how much for the JCM!?

thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X