Marshall & pedals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall & pedals

Hey guys got a marshall DSL 100 Half stack which i plug my Kelly with EMG 81's in but i cant seem to get a decent metal tone. I tried plugging my Boss Metal Zone in which made it a little better but the pedal just seems like a wall of noise at times. Can anyone suggest a distortion pedal that may help? I was thinking of the Ibanez Tube screamer? anyone tried this pedal through a marshall? Trying to create that Testament sound without the price of mesa's!

Re: Marshall & pedals

We had a DSL 100 here for a while and we tried everything we had to get that to sound like a great metal tone, and failed. We did try Ibanez TS-9s and Boss SD-1. Along with EQs, BBEs etc.

Really the only thing that sounded good through it was the Korg Hyperdistortion 104ds with eth Marshall set to clean... And that is silly as you can get as good a sound with a much cheaper amp. No reason to have a $1000 head for that.

Bare in mind that I'm picky about my tone. But, I hate those amps for the money they cost and the cheap quality parts and build they give you...

They can get a good rock sound, But, I'm mot playing bad Company and Foriegner. To me, they lack the definition and the tone for serious crunch that extreme metal needs. They get buzzy and sounds loose and flubby...

Sell it, buy an 800 and a pedal or preamp, and probably have money left over while enjoying good tone.

Umm, Just my opinion.

Sorry I'm not more help.

Comment

Were you trying the Metal Zone on the clean channel of the amp? That was my setup for a while (and a GE-7) and I was able to get a very passable metal tone. It was very "clean" as far as not hissy at all (in fact it was cleaner than having the gain cramked by itself on the amp) and pretty focused. Not sure why it wouldn't work for you though. I just got tired of absolutely no in between clean and blast sounds and I still believe you should be able to get usable distortion from your amp. Good luck though. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

LOL @ Rick, hehe...

Linkin Park = Nsync with guitars....

Comment

As much as I love my DSL, and even thought it is tight and focused and not buzzy as John mentioned [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] , It is not an amp for getting metal tones like that. I use a Tube Screamer, very occasionlaly for leads, but mostly for a 3rd channel.

It will pass for a Linkin Park type sound with the tube screamer, but that's about as metal sounding as it gets.

The Dsl's are more for a classic type and some of the new pop\rock stuff that's out.
          Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

Comment

Well, active pickups help alot, but there is really no way you're going to get a tight metal tone from a DSL.

I have one and cannot get much definition in the low end at all, it's decent but miles from brutal.

I recently got a Genz-Benz 212 Lynch cab and it helped clear it up quite a bit, was using the Marshall 1960B cab.

Marshall simply does not cut it for modern metal.

Comment

Hey now, I didn't say I like them, and Actually I think they suck, but these loosers around here want to hear that stupid song one step closer for some reason [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Now that someone mentioned active pickups, when Eric (Illumina) came over and plug in his guitar with EMGs in it, I cranked up the dsl and I SWEAR it was nailing the Metallica sound. I don't know if that's considred HEavy Metal or not, and I don't like them either [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

But I have a BBE and it adds a ton of bottom. It was awesome when he was playing the Metallica riffs, but I'm not sure yet if that sound would cover the stuff I do.
              Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

Comment

Webster defines Brutal Distortion this way: VHT Pittbull CL-100 with Graphic EQ and a 4x12 Madison Cabinet, beleive me it is Brutal [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] Jack.

Comment

What about adding a preamp like a ADA MP1 or a digitech 2120 to the DSL would that not improve the tone greatly ?

Comment

Originally posted by Rick:
                    but these loosers around here want to hear
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">losers

[img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

1 "O"

[img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
                    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Working...
                    X