MP-1 vs. GP-1000 (lee jackson)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MP-1 vs. GP-1000 (lee jackson)

Ok, I'm in need of a new set up bad. It's gotta be good and its gotta be cheap. I'm going rack. I think I've withered my preamp choices to these 2. Now I just want to know if there is any huge drawbacks with either one of these that would make you choose one over teh other? I don't need versatility, I need kill your siblings tone.

we're ploaying in a battle of the bands on 4th of july. And we'll be playing the following,

Embody the Invisible- In Flames
    The Immortal - Arch Enemy
    Into the Pit- Testament
    Pilgrim- Arch Enemy

maybe a few others if we have more time.

anyway, that's the stuff we do...melodic, thrash, death metal...its all good. And I need my tone to match them all universally. I;m thinking this for a rig.

MP-1 or GP-1000> boss delay pedal, rocktron hush pedal, >mesa 50/50 power amp > carvin legacy cabinet.

I'm also the singer and actually the 3rd guitar player in our group (we get all the in flames harmonies done....its pretty sweet) right now I"m using a lame ass line 6 flextone II plus plugged into a line6 4x12 cabinet.

the other guitarists have an egnater IE4 into a mesa 50/50 and a marshal jcm900 4x12 and a 5150 into a carvin legacy bottom cab. needless to say..my tone is a vacuum in comparison.

Re: MP-1 vs. GP-1000 (lee jackson)

MP1. The GP1000 is widely considered to suck, by guys such as Paul Gilbert and Bruce Bouilet who even endorsed them. Roope Latvala says they sound like $h1t without the onboard preamp on the guitar. He also said it's almost impossible to get a decent clean tone from them. So a distortion preamp that needs a boost to sound good, and can't get a good clean sound? Err.... no thanks!

Also, the MP1 has digital effects and 128
    user-programmable presets,and a fan website devoted to patches and mods. There is an available mod that's suposed to give it more of a modern brutal metal tone too; out of the box it's a processed
    80s metal hotrod Marshally sort of sound. The GP1000 is a preamp only that's not that great at what it does.

If you want a preamp-only, no effects, super cheap, get a Peavey Rockmaster for around $100. make sure it comes with the
    switch though or you'll only have the Ultra channel (the highest gain/distortion channel). The thing has great sound, and FIVE effects loops (Clean, Crunch, Ultra, Crunch/Ultra, and common) and 4 12AX7 tubes to light the fire!

Let us know what you get!

Lerx

[ June 07, 2003, 07:27 AM: Message edited by: lerxstcat ]
    Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

If you want to get something cooler for Delay than a Boss, try the Guyatone MD3. It has a broad range of control so you can cook up some trippy **** with it, and for standard Delay it sounds perfect.

Comment

Thread resurection I know, but I'm interested in picking up either of the two pre's and want to hear some thoughts on them.

Comment

I had both before and Lee Jackson preamp is like ****!
          ADA is the best for the money.
          I would recommend Lee Jackson power amp(Power connection) instead.

Comment

I agree with dinkyjacksonman...I had a Lee Jackson gp-1000 preamp and it is not a very high gain preamp. More like overdrive, so if you want a heavy sound out of it you really have to run some kind of boost/overdrive/distortion device. The only time I ever good a decent sound out of it I had to use a Furman PQ-3, Boss SD-1, and an active preamp w/ my pickups. It's best to just stay away from that preamp.

The ADA might work better for you. However, it sounds like you might like the Peavey Rockmaster also. They fairly cheap and they have alot of gain and dark tones.

Comment

ADA MP1 and Lee Jackson power amp combination was great.
              You could probably get them for less than $300-350.
              Some sellers of MP1 sell midi pedal(MC1?) together too.
              You can put these in 2space rack and that will save money and space too.

Comment

I actually have a rockmaster right now that I use with a mesa 20/20. Neat little setup, but I think I'm moving away from it.

Comment

ADA MP-1. And thank God I read that "thread ressurection" post, I though Ninja was making plans for a battle of the bands seven months away!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

By the way, how did you end up doing?

Comment

ADA MP-1. The Lee Jackson won't cut it.

[ QUOTE ]
                    I actually have a rockmaster right now that I use with a mesa 20/20. Neat little setup, but I think I'm moving away from it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Out of curiousity, could you describe what sort of tones you are able to get out of the rockmaster? One of my 'net friends who lives across the country insists that he can get a 5150 'swedish sound' out of his rockmaster, but he can't record any clips.

Comment

Working...
                    X