Piranha Users!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Piranha Users!

Do you have some tip to get out of this unit a good chuggachugga sound?I tweaked it for a little time yesterday (I've it in the country house,I've no space for an half stack in the apartment!) so I'd like to have some advice from ppl that have experience with it!Thanks!

Re: Piranha Users!

Does it have pre and post gain EQs in it like Voodu valve?

If so, I used to run the pre EQ bass all the way off, and the post eq bass way up around 80%. Induces major chug and crunch...

Comment

Ok,thanks a lot!

Comment

I had one a couple years ago, and remember it as a beefed-up Marshall JMP-1 kinda sound. Definitely, to me, I see now, could have used a good EQ/boost in the front end and some EQing on the back end, like Cleve is talking about. Unfortunately, the Piranha doesn't have the Pre/Post Preamp EQ flexibility like the other Rocktron units. It's a much more stripped-down preamp-only kinda device with kinda "amplike" EQ controls and...hmmm...an Exciter kinda unit in it, as I remember, right? If I am remembering that correctly, it's always fun to me to crank those things up high hehe...as I remember I was also using my BBE with it when I had mine. This is one of the units I had before I got all my current gear together, I'd love to go back and have these damn things and plug them in the setup to see how much more I might like them now. Ahhh well...live and learn...

The Piranha is kinda tubey, but I don't know if it has a tube-based input, or one that would otherwise be happy with EQ boosting or added overdrive on the front end...but that might be something to try. An EQ after it would be good to try, too. Tubey preamp-only units like these really need both pre and post preamp EQing to get "thrash" out of them, in my opinion.

Aside from EQing and the BBE, I would have liked to have had my Behringer Ultrafex Pro at the time. I don't know if you like Exciter type effects sound, but the Ultrafex Pro does some awesome things to the sound in this respect. It's got a very heavy sounding bass processor and very cutting high-end processing, as well as a surround processor that helps your sound seem "bigger" especially out of smaller speaker setups.

Comment

No,it has a normal eq I think..

Comment

Hi

To my experience Piranha drains tubes roughly in one year in my use (rehearsals 1-2 times per week and some gigs too) Worn-out tubes sound thin, weak and unfocused(easy to change). Piranha has active eq, +/-15db adjustment with parametric midrange adjustment from 300hz to 7Khz. for chuggachugga sound you could start experimenting with turning low and high pots almost on full and then adjust midrange scoop to your liking, also using "modern" distortion channel obviously helps. Personally I'd stay below 500hz on that parametric adjustment.

Comment

I've never used exciters,so I don't know if I will like it or not.I have to try the ultrafex.I like the piranha cos it is pretty simple and it has amp-like controls...

Comment

ok!I think I've learned how it sounds,and I've been able to get a great old thrash sound from it! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] I wonder if it can achieve a mesa sound,til now it seems to have a marshall sound...mh...a good marshall sound,yes.. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Piranha rocks... i´ve got one and i´m very satisfied! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                  X