Sell DSL or not ????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sell DSL or not ????

Guys i currently use a Marshall DSL 100 Head through a 1960 cab. Guitar is a custom kelly with EMG 81's I have tried lots of different ways to get this amp to pass for metal but failing misserably [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] I am now considering trading it in for something better i have listed a few possibilities below which of my choices will be worth the cash ! I am quite partial to the Mesa boogie Dual but it is alot of cash.
    1)JCM 800 2203 (Bare in mind other than zakk's signiture model these amps are hard to find) & i dont like his model.
    2)Peavey 5150 Head
    3)peavey XXX Head
    4)Mesa dual rectifier (bloody expensive i know)
    5)JCM 900 with a ADA MP1 (This is what alex skolnick of testament used, i know its a weird set up the MP 1 actually through a head but this is his tone on all the early Testament stuff which Is the sound i am trying to create.
    All the above heads will be run through the Marshall 1960 cab.

Re: Sell DSL or not ????

Where are you, location wise? We have a JCM 800 for sale in our store (Manny's Music in NY) if it's at all possible for u to come down and try it out. If the DSL100 isn't metal enough, I would recommend the XXX or the Peavey because I've had experience with both those amps. The XXX has a better clean tone then the 5150, but the gain on the 5150 has a little more kick in the nuts to it. XXX gain to me is heavy, but smooth sounding while the 5150 cuts through like a chainsaw (I like that a little more) As for the other choices, I haven't messed with em to tell you if their cool or not. I've heard great things about the JCM 900, but nothing I can back up. Hope this helps a little.

- Irfaan -

Comment

I just traded my DSL 100 with a Mesa Single Rectifier and can't say I regret doing that. The Mesa is probably the best amp I've ever played

Comment

I had a DSL100 and I really liked it, but definitely not a metal amp. I sold it and bought a Mesa Trem-O-Verb (Dual Rectifier) and I really love it. Much more versital than a DSL or 5150 IMO and a far better distortion/gain sound. More suited to metal than the DSL. Try one if you can and decide for yourself.

Comment

Well i've decided i'm gonna trade the DSL in. Now the two choices im going for is the Peavey 5150 or the Peavey XXX.Does anyone if the 5150 II is alot better than the 5150. I know price wise the XXX is a few hundred pounds more but its still cheaper than a mesa. As for the 5150 bands like Arch enemy , Carcass , Strapping young lad use them. Im not too sure who's playing the XXX i think josh rand from stone sour uses it ? Anyway guys which should i go for ??? want real death metal sound without having to add a pedal.

Comment

The main difference between the 5150 I and II is another EQ for the clean channel. I think it makes the clean better and the your not held down by trying to make the dist sound great. Between the two, it's really just preference. To my ear, the XXX has a smoother overdrive with craploads of gain to it while the 5150 has the buzzsaw insane gain. To each his own, try em both out

Comment

He was playing the XXX but he had it redone and I believe he could be using the old XXX frame to hold his new amp....not exactly sure. but i know he was using a XXX but had a custom head made and im not totally sure but i believe he is using the old XXX "cab" for his new head. (also the work was done down at Marshall, Peavey, and his dad did some of the work) -this is what ive heard not sure if its true or not-

Comment

When you say not metal enough, I'm kind of lost? Have you tried biasing the dsl? I've had 3 of those (2 100's and a 50) and they certainly where metal enough for me. What tone are you looking for? when I think metal tone I think of Testament, sort of a chuck billy punching you in the face about 300 times. Now, modern metal, ala Godsmack, I think of sitting on the toilet constipated and trying to sqeeze one out for about a half hour. Iguess you can see which tone I think is more metal. A marshall will do the first, but not hte second. If your looking for a low volume preamp distortion, remember that all goes away as you turn up and your nuts start to vibrate (w/ a good tone like Marshall i.e.) I've got an ubershall now, which is a nice blend of ballsy marshall w/ a gainy as hell preamp. All it does is thicken as it goes louder. It doesn't have as much distortion as a Mesa, but it kicks the heck out of it on pure tone. Try biasing your dsl's tubes to 92mv if your using svetlana's. I found the sweetspot in that amp right there.

Comment

maybe you have a different perception of what is a metal sound to nevermore...I suggest going for a 5150 II, i only realised now how awesome these amps are for metal \m/
                  cheers

Comment

Working...
                  X