Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WTF!?! Was there a Carvin Quad virus that went around?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WTF!?! Was there a Carvin Quad virus that went around?

Half the damn classifieds are people getting rid of these - what's up with that? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] I remember when the same thing happened with Soldano SP-77's - now it's Carvin Quads. Anyone have a Mesa Studio or Quad they'd like to part with??

So how would all you folks that have these compare them to all the other similar preamps out there? It's starting to perk my interest... Tell me about them so I don't have to rely on Harmony Central reviews.

Re: WTF!?! Was there a Carvin Quad virus that went around?

Getting my Quad-X/ Tube 100/ Footswitch Wednesday. I'll let you know..... [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]

Comment

It is the best preamp I have ever used. Similar to the Mesa but more feature packed and a much better clean channel.

Comment

These are great amps.... I have more than one so I am selling a complete setup. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable:
          It is the best preamp I have ever used. Similar to the Mesa but more feature packed and a much better clean channel.
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Clean channel?!? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/idea2.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] What would a person need that for? I'm getting pretty interested in these. Let's see what happens...

Hey Rodrigo - you just got one, and we seem to have somewhat similar taste. Tell me what you think of yours so far!

[ June 10, 2003, 10:59 AM: Message edited by: chris_olson ]

Comment

I still have mine here and I like to play thorugh it very much. It is a cool preamp. I still don't get what I want out of the clean channels but Channel 4 makes me rock hard everytime I use it.

Chris: I made a clip of my preamp for the forum, did you hear it?... here you go:

Carvin Quad X clip

Comment

Yessss...i get mine tomorrow. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] Great preamp for short money. I would love to see if Carvin brings this preamp back and updates this model.

Comment

Chris (Firebird) and I are working on a possible trade, so I might be joining the ranks of the Quad users. We have some details to work out, so we'll see what happens, but I'm hoping we'll get it figured out. Keeping my fingers crossed. They sound like a pretty damn good preamp.

What kinda cabs are you guys using with them? I'm thinking I'm gonna get a sealed 1x12 for starters, and then maybe get another down the line. Whaddya think?

Comment

I use a Peavey Sixty/sixty power amp and 2 Randall 2 x 12 bottoms loaded with Altec Lansing 300w whiteframes with my Quad X. I run it in stereo. I don't use any effects. The Carvin longtailed reverb is excellent and that is all I use. The noise gate is excellent. It has alot of memory features and 5 effects loops along with a recording compensated line out that is the best true 80's rock sound for recording that I have ever heard. Do yourself a favor and try to make that deal happen and join the Quad X Club.

Comment

Originally posted by rodrigo_echeverri:
                    I still have mine here and I like to play thorugh it very much. It is a cool preamp. I still don't get what I want out of the clean channels but Channel 4 makes me rock hard everytime I use it.

Chris: I made a clip of my preamp for the forum, did you hear it?... here you go:

Carvin Quad X clip
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Gain on 4, huh? I bet it can get pretty out of hand when you get it into the 7-8 range! So, are the 2&3 channels more of an overdrive or crunch than 4? I'd certainly use 4, but I'd still want to back it down into a tame JCM800 range, rather than the 5150-ish sound of 4.

Cool clip though. No effects or anything there, huh? Yeah, I could probably live with a sound like that. Sounds like you scoop your mids a bit more than I would though. I usually tend to EQ MOST amps something like this: Low - 8, Mid - 6-7, High 5-7. If there's presence, it's usually about halfway. Gain to taste. What a recipe, huh? [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Are you using your MP-1 more than the Carvin?

Anyway, it sounds like a decent preamp. Gotta keep thinkin on it...

Comment

My channel 4 gain is on around 6 and the lightest music I play is Disturbed, Metallica or Godsmack. I keep my EQ very similar to the settings you use. I don't scoop much at all. I mainly use channel 3 dimed out. Channel 4 is just for solos or fills. The Quad X is a monster. If the guys at the Carvin website ever caught wind of all these Quads up for sale they would be all over them like a hobo on a ham sandwich. [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                      X