Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seymour Duncan Convertible Amp Modules - PETE ?? ANYONE ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seymour Duncan Convertible Amp Modules - PETE ?? ANYONE ??

I have kinda been shopping for a Seymour Duncan Convertible amp or head, and FELL INTO a 100 watt HEAD today....They are adjustable from 5 to 100 watts, and have those interchangable modules for different tones...

MINE came with...

Normal
    Lo-Cut Normal
    Hi-Gain Tube
    Classic Distortion
    Presence

and the OTHERS that I KNOW were available were...

Solid-State F.E.T.
    Cascade
    Classic
    Classic EQ

Does ANYONE KNOW WHAT OTHER MODULES were made, or can ANYONE {Pete ??} tell me MORE about the Seymour Duncan Convertible amps or heads ???

A BIG THANKS AHEAD OF TIME !!!!!

[email protected] or 303-421-5150...

[ June 09, 2003, 11:59 PM: Message edited by: Doc Dryer ]

Re: Seymour Duncan Convertible Amp Modules - PETE ?? ANYONE ??

I owned one for awhile doc, and had 12 of the modules. Somewhere around here I even have the manual the damned thing came with! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I thought it sounded terrible, and parted mine out - I made around $60 per module, which ended up being about $400 more than I paid for the amp. I still have the chassis, stripped it for parts and eventually am going to make a 100 watt EL34 marshall killer out of it. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I didn't like the amp, but the features were amazing for the time - had an effects loop, a variable dampening control, you can change the order the modules go in, etc. Pentode/Triode switch even! The variable wattage was a great idea, and you can also plug in a volume pedal and vary it on the fly. It has a phono jack input that you could put a plug into - can't remember what it did, I think it gave more or less gain or something weird like that. Amp had reverb with reverb controls for each channel, etc... a really cool amp that just sounded terrible to me.

Doc, I think that manual is out in my garage somewhere... if I can dig it up, I'll send it to you asap. It has a chart in the middle with explanation and eq/gain graph of each module. Maybe I just got a bad one - I remember spending a frustrating two weeks moving modules and tubes and tubes in modules around trying to get a good metal tone out of mine. It did low gain and 'old ZZ top' tones just fine, but metal? Forget it.

I may even still have one or two of those modules out in the garage - if I do, you can have those too.

Pete

Comment

MAN, PETE...If you DO have the MANUAL and/or and MODULES...I shall REWARD YOU...IN SPADES ! ! ! ! !

I just figured that - being the Seymour Duncan FANATIC that I am, that it would be cool to own one...

PLUS...I SNARFED this 100 watt HEAD with 5 modules for 2 hunge, so EVEN if I ONLY found ONE MODULE that I LIKED, I could peddle the other 4, and have the amp - FER NUTHIN' !!!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

If you have ANYTHING for it...LET ME KNOW !!!!

I'm SURE that there are SOME "SCOOBY SNACKS" in the Ol' Doc's parts bin {that's the size of an AIRCRAFT CARRIER [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] } that YOU can USE !!!!! [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Comment

Doc,

I was hugely interested in these amps for years, and almost bought one just before I first heard about and decided to buy my Egnater M4 modular preamp. The plug-in/modular idea has always been awesome to me, and I'd still love to hear one of those Convertibles. Unfortunately, finding the modules seemed to be kinda tricky when I was looking before, but maybe somebody got smart and put up a module-swapping forum or something--that would be cool. Being the big ole geek that I am, I still have the Duncan Convertibles catalog hehe. This might be redundant, but here's what it lists for modules:

Individual modules:
        Normal
        Low Cut Normal
        Classic
        Low Cut Classic
        Cascode
        I.C.
        F.E.T.
        Hi-Gain
        Hi-Gain + 6
        Hi-Gain Hybrid
        Presence
        Classic Distortion
        Classic E.Q.
        Hi-Gain E.Q.
        Hot Mod

Descriptions:
        Normal
        Tube, Gain 16:1 ratio @ 24db, Clean, Quiet, Low Distortion

Low Cut Normal
        Tube, Gain 10:1 ratio @ 24db, Lean, Quiet, Cuts off Low freq at 160Hz

Classic
        Tube, Gain 45:1 ratio @ 33db, Enhanced Sustain, Harmonics

Low Cut Classic
        Tube, Gain 32:1 ratio @ 30db, Lean & Warm, Cuts off Low freq at 160Hz

Cascode
        Tube, Gain 25:1 ratio @ 28db, Bright, Crisp, Detailed High End

I.C.
        S/S, Gain 10:1 ratio @ 20db, Icy clean, Low noise, Integrated circuit

F.E.T.
        FET, Gain 10:1 ratio @ 20db, Low noise, Bright, Field Effect Transistor

Hi-Gain
        Tube, Gain 1000:1 ratio @ 48db, Enhanced Sustain, Harmonics

Hi-Gain + 6
        Tube, Gain 630:1 ratio @ 56db, Loud Rock 'N Roll

Hi-Gain Hybrid
        Tube/FET, Gain 1000:1 ratio @ 44db, Hot & Crunchy, Great Sustain

Presence
        Tube, Gain 12:1 @ 24db, Up front punch & brightness

Classic Distortion
        Tube, Gain 12:1 ratio @ 22db, Compressed with wide bandwidth, Low Hi-Gain

Classic E.Q.
        Tube/I.C., Gain 56:1 @ 35db, Clean with 4 bands E.Q. +/- 15db

Hi-Gain E.Q.
        Tube/I.C., Gain 100:1 @ 40db, Crunch lead with 4 bands E.Q. +/- 15db

Hot Mod
        For some reason, this one is not listed in the area where they listed the specs for the others. It's just listed in the price list.

Module Packs:

Rock'N'Roll 2000:
        Classic, Classic, Normal, Hi-Gain, Presence

Seymour R & B:
        Classic, Classic, Classic, Hi-Gain, Classic

Fusion:
        Presence, Hi-Gain, Normal, Classic, Cascode

Heavy Metal:
        Classic Hi-Gain, Classic, Hi-Gain E.Q., Hi-Gain

Studio:
        F.E.T., Classic, Classic, Hi-Gain, Classic E.Q.

Rock'N'Roll 1200:
        Presence, Hi-Gain + 6

You would buy your amp with one of the basic packs or custom, with whatever modules you wanted. You could put the modules in whatever combinations you wanted. They made 100w Combo & Head (with 5 modules), 60w Combo & Head (with 2 modules), as well as Bass amps. They would also custom design/tune modules for you. Footswitch came standard. Dual Effect Loop Box and Rack Mount Adapter Kits avilable for the Head.

Hope you're enjoying your amp,

Stu

Comment

Working...
        X