Cab recommendations....either 2X12 or 4X12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cab recommendations....either 2X12 or 4X12

I've got a pair of Mesa halfbacks I've been playing for a couple years now and I'm too used to them. I'm curious if anyone's done any comparisons on the G-flex, Engl cabs, Mesa's etc? I'm looking for a really good bottom end attack that is tight and responsive and won't flub out even with some downtuning. Any reviews would be great...

- Joel
    RIP Donny Swanstrom...JCF bro
    RIP Dime

Re: Cab recommendations....either 2X12 or 4X12

I will HIGHLY recommend the full sized Bogner 2 x 12 with closed back. My cab (as most) came with Celestion Vintage 30's. Lots of thump, very high quality construction, removable casters, and excellent resale value.

JOHN

Comment

I like the mesa rectifier cabs. I play mostly 7 strings and dont have any trouble with them handling the low end. I use 2-200 watt poweramps, one per each cab, so I push them pretty hard at times.
      www.myspace.com/mortality

Comment

So basically it sounds like any high quality cab loaded with V30's would make me a happy metalhead. So Bogner, Mesa rectos, or Engl's are the way to go?

- Joel
        RIP Donny Swanstrom...JCF bro
        RIP Dime

Comment

I'm looking at Recto cabs myself. But, hear great things about the VHT fatbottom cabs. And, of course the Bogner 1x12 and 2x12 cabs have much credit to their name.

Comment

I also hear nothing but good praise coming from madison cabinets.

Comment

i enjoy my vertical 2x12 recto cab a whole lot. it sounds killer and its 10 times easier to haul to gigs than it's 4x12 counter part.
              Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

I recently purchased a G-flex and will get another as soon as possible. In the meantime i'm running it in stereo powered by a Mesa 20/20.It will only sound better with two but it's great to have the ability to just use one if that's all you need. These cabinets really move some air(and sound)because they are ported I suppose.They are closed back cabs so everything is projected out front.I compared these to Mesa 2x12's 3/4 back and closed back and liked the G-flex much better. The G-flex can keep up with if not surpass my Randall 4x12 without any problem. I highly recomend you try all the cabs you are interested in and go from there. If at all possible use your favorite guitar and amp and demo everything in your area. Some equipment sounds better than others depending on your guitar amp combinations

Comment

My Madison 2x12 is for sale in the classified section... I am moving from Canada to South America and can't take it with me... my loss... only US$160 gets you a great sounding cab there.

[ June 11, 2003, 02:27 AM: Message edited by: rodrigo_echeverri ]

Comment

I was so shocked and amazed at how good my Genz Benz 2x12 was by itself that I IMEDIATELY ordered another one... These things have THE tightest Bass I've ever heard.... My whole reason for getting rid of my Celestion 30 loaded cab. It was getting kinda flubby when we playing in 'A' on our 7's.

1 will do ya... 2 will blow your mind.

Comment

was so shocked and amazed at how good my Genz Benz 2x12 was by itself that I IMEDIATELY ordered another one... These things have THE tightest Bass I've ever heard.... My whole reason for getting rid of my Celestion 30 loaded cab. It was getting kinda flubby when we playing in 'A' on our 7's.
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yep

Comment

I am partial to my Mesa 4x12 loaded with the Black Shadows. However, if weight is a consideration, you probably know that Mesa 4x12's are HEAVY(in both the good and bad ways).

Comment

Working...
                        X