Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 pre-amps together! How?

Another thing!

That is somehow related to my previous post!
    Could i and how connect and use 2 preamps at THE SAME TIME!

I use ada mp-1 and im interested in rocktron's i earlier described!

Since ada has no hush and good eq, which rocktron has i would liek to combine the things and get power, efficiancy, easy of use, and good sound, no noise!

Out with suggestions!

Which one of the 2 rocktrons would you recommend!

I hear pro-gap is quite a rarity nowadays?

Re: 2 pre-amps together! How?

Again, the Pro GAP is the only preamp you mentioned there, so that kinda narrows it down... I don't know how you'd combine the two, but you could use some kind of switching system and use them seperatley.

Comment

Go to www.axess-electronics.com and buy thier buffered splitter. Then run the outputs into the two preamps. The the mono out of the preamp into one of the stereo ins of either an effects unit or power amp. You could use a Y cable, but that could lead to grounding problems and hum.
      We must!
      We must!
      We must increase the bust!
      The bigger the better!
      The tighter the sweater!
      The boys are counting on us!

Comment

The connections seems simple enough!

Here is the question!
        Can i use it at the same time?
        Meaning i can run the signal out of my guitar into ma ada mp-1 and into rocktron pro-gap where i can adjust the parametric eq and the hush!
        Then the signal goes to my poweramp?

Won't that damadge the sound?

Comment

You'd have to use something else for effects or just run the pro gap effected and the ADA dry to the power amp channels. I'm not familar with the send and return features of the pro gap. If it had a mono preamp out somewhere on it and a stereo fx send/return you could run the ADA through those fx. But I doubt it has the ability. And it would depend where the hush and parametric EQ are in the chain. Most effects bound EQ's are before the fx send. At least the ones I've used. I do think the hush is after the return however. You'd have to check your manual. If it has a stereo send/return you could run one send right back to the return to use the pro gaps preamp and the other return for the ADA. I think that would work. And then each stereo output to a seperate channel of the power amp.
          We must!
          We must!
          We must increase the bust!
          The bigger the better!
          The tighter the sweater!
          The boys are counting on us!

Comment

I have an MP1 and a ART 2000, first version not a Express. Make sure you use high quality cables to help cut any noise. I use my ADA basically as the tone generator and primary pre-amp, but since it has a weak EQ section I get the best tones I can out of the ADA and then run the signal through a blank preset or program in the ART. The ART has a post EQ section which is controlled by knobs on the front panel so this makes it very easy to use especially on the fly.This works great for me and I can get a wide variety of adjustment without much noise.
            Sometimes I will use the two pre-amps together but you really have to watch your gain settings!Keep your first pre-amps gains close to where you want it but a little lower than normal then bring it up to where you want it on the second pre-amp. You can get some killer distortion and sustain this way but be carefull!!!!
            Remember low levels followed by high levels = NOISE !!
            When I use the two pre-amps together I can also use the pre EQ and effects in the ART but normally I just use a blank setting on the ART and use the post EQ (no effects). After the ART I have a BBE 362NR which has a noise gate in it if needed. I don't usually use the gate unless absolutely necesary as it cuts your highs and very little of the BBE process.
            I have every thing hooked up in a normal configuration powered by a PL plus (Furman) Guitar, ADA into ART into BBE into Mesa 20/20 monster speaker cables to cab.
            If you have a lot of noise look at cables and ground lift.
            Both of these units are midi so I use one controller to change presets, ART x15. I use patch 100 as a blank channel on both units (easy to remember)This way I can run the ADA by itself the two pre-amps together or just the ART and tell with a glance at the rack if a unit is basically bypassed.
            sorry for going on and on hope this helps...charlie [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Don't be sorry, Outlander!

Actually you have benn very helpful!

If i can run both pre-amps at the same time that would be very cool thing to do!

I will get back to yopu what happens with the buy!

I am getting my ada mp-1 mod#3 done in a few days!

Watch out killer sounds!
              Heh

Comment

Matjaz, have you got your maximizer yet?...

Comment

In run two preamps in my rack; a Marshall JMP-1 and a Rocktron Piranha. Here's a pic:

When I was investigating the "hows" of doing this, I nearly bought an Axess BS-2 to do the job, but after a little more digging, I found some reference to a little-known but extremely useful Peavey-branded rack-mount looper/switcher called the MidiPro that you can see in my rack above. I say "Peavey-branded" because though I know it has the Peavey name, I don't know if it was actually produced by Peavey or made for them by someone else under license. Either way, it's an exceptionally useful bit of kit, and very well built. The buffering is perfect, and the unit showed itself to be completely transparent in extensive A/B listening tests. The MidiPro has four loops and eight switches, all of which can be configured independantly, and then saved in one of 100 patches. It's a killer unit! Basically the equivalent of an Axess HS-2 and BS-2 rolled into one...

I use mine in the chain as follows:

My guitar is hooked up via a Samson Wireless (can't see it, it's in the back of the rack) into the MidiPro, then

MidiPro -> JMP1 OR Piranha (selectable) -> MidiPro -> G-Major -> amp & cabs and whatall...

I've been thinking of configuring it so that I can take the G-Major out of the loop entirely as well, and just run either preamp directly into the power amp if I want. I've also used the switching feature to control other units with standard ¼" latching plugs in the past - I used it on a Mesa Formula preamp I had in the rack for a while.

Best thing about these switchers is that you get the preamps switching with the patch changes - it's all controlled by Midi, so by stepping on one pedal I can change preamp, channel, effects settings, everything! instantly! And these things are so cheap; I have bought two (one for myself, and one for a friend of mine) and paid less than $100 for each (used, of course). I've heard throught the grapevine that Peavey still have a few NOS in their warehouse, and that a Peavey Dealer can still order a new one. Killer unit, and will do exactly what you want!

Comment

Two other things I wanted to add to what I said above...

First, I also had everything rigged up so that I ran the G-Major in the effects loops of the preamps at one time - the MidiPro basically switched the G-Major in and out of the desired preamp as I changed patches. This worked fine, but I found that I prefered the tone of the rig with the G-Major in series - a friend of mine pointed out that the effects loop typically sits between the preamp and power amp sections in a combo amp, so maybe I should give it a try, and he was right, 'cause it sounds great!

Second, if you really wanted to wire up your preamps in series, you could do that with this rig too, but I think you'd be creating a potential sonic disaster [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

If you want to see more pics of my rig, they're on my website at http://www3.sympatico.ca/jimi_d/

Comment

*sidles into the thread*
                      If you decide to go with a ProGAP, I have one I'm looking to get rid of pretty cheap. Email me or something.
                      *sidles out of the thread*

Comment

Jimi... awesome advice, rig and web page but I just noticed you dont own a Jackson... [img]graemlins/evilimages/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by rodrigo_echeverri:
                          Jimi... awesome advice, rig and web page but I just noticed you dont own a Jackson... [img]graemlins/evilimages/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">It's true that I no longer own any Jacksons, Rodrigo, but I did own a couple, until I traded up to my Music Man guitars [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

...actually, the Music Man Axis just fit's me better, but I'm a huge fan of Jackson's quality and playability!

Comment

Ay!, Dios mio!... [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

11miles,

This might sound really cheezy, but one way you can get an idea how this will sound would be to use some Y-cables, and maybe an AB combiner/switcher box. I used to do stuff like that all the time, trying to combine gear together to see what would happen. You could use Y-cables to join the output signals of those preamps and send them into your next unit, and a Y-cable to split your guitar's output signal (if your output jack is happy with that, sometimes they're not). Other option is you could use something like a Morley A/B/Y combiner/switcher to split the guitar's signal...or to combine the output signals of the preamps and send them to the next unit in line. That's not quite as cheap, but a more reliable option.

The benefit here is, it's a cheap option to start with, so you can see if you like the sound of the units together, before you decide to purchase a more expensive or possibly very expensive rack unit to do it all.

Just a thought,

Stu

Comment

Working...
                              X