Mesa Studio .22+

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa Studio .22+

After my last topic on small tube amps i was left a little unsure of what this amp can do. I'm looking for a small tube amp that breaks up at low enough volume and gives me a high-ish gain distorsion (I'm thinking Rust In Peace sort of tone). If it doesn't give me sort of highish gain 80s metal sort of distorsion is there any resonably inexpensive equipment that will help me get that sort of tone out of the amp because i heard it is a lovely amp. Oh yeah what does it sound like as well at extremly low bedroom sort of volume? And if there is no way this amp can do what I'm asking for can anyone recommend an amp that does? (I'm using a KE3 with Detonator (Invader copy) pickups)

thanks

Re: Mesa Studio .22+

The Mesa DC-3 is a step up from this in wattage and has a few more features for almost the same price...definitely worth considering if you're thinking of a .22.

I myself am in the market for a DC-3 in the future as the prices are more reachable.

Comment

Come on some more replies please!

Comment

This is my opinion only, but the DC3 doesn't sound as good as the Studio .22+ to me. I've owned each, and the allure of more knobs got me on the DC3. I got rid of it pretty quick - it did not sound like the Mark series, it was an attempt to get a recto type sound and it sucked, in my opinion. I personally would steer clear of any of the 'DC' series. Then again, some people love em. I would advise hearing one in person before you made a decision one way or the other.

Pete

Comment

i know i tell this to everyone but i can't help it- i like it so much!

.50 cal (el84 ver) in other words not the plus "+" version.

this amp is so good and loud as hell for a 50 watter. and sounds good at low volumes.

you can find one on ebay. if you get the combo it will be like a double .22
          Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Well Pete would be the man to listen to given his tuned ear .. I haven't tried them side by side, but I would agree it would be best to do so before dumping the cash.
            I wonder how that little Groove Tube Soul-O single combo is? It's alot like the Univalve concept. Kinda pricey tho.. Any word Pete?

Comment

How much different soundwise is the .50cal from the .22? Will they do the the kind of 80s metal distorsion I'm looking for. One thing that I don't like about my JCM is that the distorsion sounds a bit tame on it not powerful at all. Oh how much should I expect to pay for the amps?

Comment

Those studio .22+ have been between mostly 350-450. depends on the features and condition and the lunar cycle and....and..

[ June 20, 2003, 09:24 AM: Message edited by: charvelguy ]

Comment

This is sort of off topic, but if you're looking for a great high-gain sound at low volumes, why not try a pedal or a combination of pedals? I use a Metal Zone/GE-7 EQ combo through a JCM 800 2210. I get a great (if I say so myself) 80's metal tone at low volumes.
                  Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

Working...
                  X