should I get rid of my mesa boogie?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• should I get rid of my mesa boogie?

Ive had my single rectifier for like 5 months and its been in the shop for a week cuz it was making this funny ring when I played through it. I got it back and they said it had 4 blown tubes. I was so pumped to get it back and now its starting to do it again. This is really ticking me off and Im about to get rid of it and go for a different tube amp. Whats another really great tube amp that has pretty killer distortion and decent clean? I think Im cursed cuz every piece of musical gear has something wrong with it. thanks folks for any suggestions. should I go for a new amp or send the Mesa back to the shop?

Re: should I get rid of my mesa boogie?

Send it back. Mesa's are great. Eventually they will figure it out.

Comment

I usually take it to my local shop and have them work on whatever i need fixing. Maybe I should send it to MESA this time cuz they'll know what to do. How do I go about sending it to them?

Comment

I have had my boogie for over 16 years.They're great!I ONLY let Mesa work on mine.
        www.kiddhavok.com
        www.youtube.com/kiddhavokband

Comment

How much does a single rectifier cost, could i get a trade with my DSL 100 marshall head?

Comment

I paid like $1200 for mine I think. Depends who you trade with. You could probably get pretty close to a rectifier for a trade on that, but you might have to pay some since the shop has to make money off of your trade.

Comment

1200$ american im guessing i payed 1800$ for my dsl head. I didnt think i would get a straight trade either

Comment

Rectumfrier....huh huh huh. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Is the ringing coming through the speakers as sound or is it more like a high pitched vibration coming from the head itself. In other words does it happen with the volume all the way down and the gain and other eq controls up?

Comment

Are you SURE its not the cab?

Comment

i'm with chuck on this one.

if you have a problem with you cab. - maybe its wiring is bad and causing tubes to blow? i'd try the head with different guitar and cab combinations and try a different head with your current guitar/cab config that is causing problems. then you can determin if its just the head.

look into a used .50 cal (el84 ver.) you'll love it!
                      Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

I didnt think it could be the cab but Ill try out what yall are talking about. Ill need to take my amp up to the guitar shop being no I know has a tube head or anything like that. Everyone else I know has combos. can the cab really short out the tubes? I didnt know that. I think there might be something in the amp that shorts out the tubes or maybe there is a bad tube the guy missed. Ill get to work on this this weekend. thanks folks.

Comment

Heres my best way of describing it. You know how when a lightbulb is burned out and you shake it you hear a little piece of it in there rattling around? Well if you amplified that thats what the sound seems like. It used to be when I hit any string or let a chord ring out. Now since its been in the shop its when I speed pick and every now ant then a chord. If it was the tubes which I still think it is, then they should have been fixed already. The guy said he replaced 4 tubes when I took it in. Maybe another one burned out or something. But its not my guitars, its not my eq pedal, its not the cab, so it has to be the amp. I think if I sent it to MESA BOOGIE that they would fix it for good. How do you go about sending it to them and explaining whats wrong? thanks for the help folks. And dude with the DSL you might be able to get a straight trade if your amp is in good shape cuz going from $1800 to $1200 you shouldnt have to pay anything. It all depends on who you deal with.

Comment

I want a rectifier, dammit! Unfortunately, I don't have the money. Maybe someday I'll have one, for now I'll stick with my Carvin and POD XT.

Comment

Yeah Im gonna agree with chuck, i think its the speakers, check th kevlar shell, is there any dings? anything rattle in the speaker, theres lots of things it could be.

Comment

Working...
                              X