Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BBE and other Enhancer processors..

I just need your feedback on..

Do you use for instance the bbe for any type of pre-amp even if it is not really neccessary!
    I mean do you find a way to plug in in the chain of your rig even if you have let say a tri-axis!

Do this type of processor bring out the best even from the best?

Re: BBE and other Enhancer processors..

"Necessary" is a bigtime personal taste thing. For me, after I heard my setup the first time with a BBE, I've never wanted to hear any of my gear without one. Added a Behringer Ultrafex Pro to add even more of these sorts of enhancements to the sound WITH the BBE. Some people can't stand the effect these have on their sound. Some like em with some gear, not with other gear. Just depends on the person and the gear.

Comment

Thought so!

Just wanted your opinion!

Comment

I am a straight amp user with no effects, but these BBE`s seam crazy popular, what exactly do they do? I play thru a VHT Pittbull CL-100 and a 4x12 madison cabinet. I play older Speed Metal and Thrash, would this BBE do anything for me, and basically what does it do to your sound? Thanks-Jack.

Comment

I'll never play without one again. It has been commonly said that turning the BBE on is like taking a pillow out of your speaker cabinet....... pretty much sums it up.

Comment

The BBEs add clarity and articulation to your sound, so even when you're playing
            distorted power chords you can hear each
            note clearly. I remember Bill Z saying
            that the 4xx Series and up are the ones to get; he didn't like the 3xx series, and also said they are great with some gear and not great with other gear.

I don't own one, but it seems they're most used by those whith substantial rack
            setups, maybe to regain tone lost by going thru several processors and long cable runs? If you don't use effects I don't know if you'd need one, but you can
            always try one and see if you like it.
            Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

To me, most every amp/preamp's high gain sound I've heard, by itself (sans any support gear), falls into 1 of 2 general categories: (1) Ultra-buzzy too harsh & solid state sounding, or (2)flat and dull,too "straight-tubey" sounding. There are exceptions, that's just a general rule for me.

A BBE, to me, is great for taking any high gain sound and instantly doing what I call "thrashing it up". The highs start to come through clearer and with more definition, and the lows become harder-edged and less mooshy overall. Like with my Egnater preamp--it's an expensive preamp, but I wouldn't have kept it if I only had to hear it with its stock-only sound. For the sound I like and play, it's GOT to have what my BBE do for its sound (and other units, though the BBE is the quickest, easiest one-step way to get close to "there").

Comment

A BBE delays frequencies and phase corrects the signal. Ok, in plain terms: They tighten up the low end and add thump, and add some high end sparkle. You can NOT get the same effect just with an equalizer... it's a very different type of change in the signal.

Now the bad news: For live work, a little bit of this goes a long way... if you're a bedroom player, you'll get more use out of a BBE than a person who gigs. I've seen people use BBEs live and crank the heck out of them - and end up with the most horrible clanky-solid state sounding no punch tone you ever heard.

Another thing you can use a stereo BBE for is your home stereo or entertainment system... seriously, they sound GREAT. Just patch it in where you would an external EQ on your stereo, turn it on and be prepared to be amazed. You get a lot more clarity, but again, a little goes a long way.

Pete

Comment

Thanks to Stu and Pete for clarifying the
                  facts on the BBE! [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Pete, what settings would you advise for live work vs. the bedroom sound, for a high-gain rig? Define "a little" as a range not to exceed if you would. It will be a Peavey Rockmaster preamp, probably an Intellifex (when I can score one cheap!) and now, a BBE. Your reccomendations of a cheap SS power amp would also be appreciated. I know tubes are much better, but the budget is very
                  tight and a "best of the worst" would help; 100w per channel or less would do
                  fine.
                  Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

I agree with Pete. I dime my BBE out during practice when we arent using a PA. When we do use the PA...or in the studio...I really have to back it down. Because my BBE has two channels....I will use one in my FX loop....and then run the other through the PA.....into a splitter and then to the speakers. Makes a big difference.-Lou
                    " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Comment

I would agree on the theory, at least, that most players with a BBE would probably LIKE their sound with the BBE cranked way up, but have to turn its effects down to fit their sound into a band situation. A BBE essentially does a lot for your sound that, in full-force, I'd say is generally opposite of what band players I've talked to say they have to have for their band sounds. Luckily, I've never been in a band, so I don't know hehehe...

Comment

Working...
                      X