Cheap decent amp read inside for unrealistic requests

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap decent amp read inside for unrealistic requests

Hehe, well lads seeing as my Marshall Valvestate 8080 is dead and gone ( [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] ) Im gonna have to get me a new amp - I cant cope with this Squier 10w amp and a multi fx for much longer lol [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Right, my requirements, Id like the amp to be....

second hand so I can get a better qulaity amp for my money,
    high gain, for a death metal type tone, even though I dont play much death (stupid super technical riffs lol) but I like the tone,
    foot-switchable channels, or foot switchable clean and distortion (if they're different),
    at least 50 watts,
    it needs to sound good at gig style volume levels, and also at bedroom levels,
    And I'd also like it to be less than £200 ($320). But also bear in mind I'm in the UK so we dont get like any Mesa's lol. Theres about twelve in the country [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    Anyway, go ahead and tell me that I'm being unrealistic, or offer advice about what amps to get. Should I just get another valvestate?
    Thanks in advance lads

Jamesy

Re: Cheap decent amp read inside for unrealistic requests

You may want to spend a little more to get an amp that you might be happier with for a long time.

Pete

[ June 22, 2003, 04:12 PM: Message edited by: xxxcreaturexxx ]
    www.myspace.com/mortality

Comment

What I'd do is get a Ashdown Fallen Angel Combo. They look amazing, and have a great, expressive tone. High Gain, all valve Class A Amplification (I am NOT lying here. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] ) and all models come with Celestions. I've seen the 40 Watt 1x12s go for £350 at some shops. Apparently there's gonna be a price-increase on them, so check 'em out pretty soon!

Comment

honestly i would look to a mesa. like a .50 cal combo (el84 version) not the "plus" one. granted its more expensive but your going to have to up your starting price to about $400 to get anything of quality. you could also look to a 2x12 peavey 5150 combo. or hell, just look for peavey's on ebay, they have so many and most of them are actually great amps. you could also try the marshall avt series if you liked your valvestate. the avt's are simmilar except sound better and have more options. even chuck shouldnier of death used valvestates. and i'd say look for a combo.
        Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

You probably didn't notice, but Mr. White
          lives in the UK, so just as he doesn't have access to as many amps in the shops
          there, he also doesn't have realistic access to USA Ebay. He could buy something here but it'd cost as much or more to ship than to buy.

Jamesy, look for a used Peavey Bandit 112
          Transtube Series model. Chuckracer has one and really likes it, and that coming from a Soldano owner is a "buy it" endorsement! It's 80 watts at 8 ohms with the built-in 12" speaker, or 100 watts at 4 ohms pushing an external cabinet. The fact that it has an external speaker out is a great feature,
          as you can push a 4x12 with it. It's a
          2-channel clean/drive amp than ought to be available used even in the UK, and should be in, or at least close to, your price range. There are several series of Bandit though; the Transtube is by far the best of them, though try before you buy; the earliest version is the Solo Series and doesn't sound as good, only has 65 watts, and DOESN'T have an external speaker out. If you try one and
          like it, fine, but they sell for $100 to
          $150 max, vs. $200 to $250 for a used Transtube series. Expect UK prices to be
          proportionally higher, but you don't want to overpay if you get the older, less nice version. The Transtube has much higher gain and better tone than the Solo Series for thrash sounds too.

Hope that helps, and that Peaveys are common enough there that you can find a decent deal.

Rich
          Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

I'll second the Peavey suggestion. You should have several options, both tube and solid state. My Peaveys are all combos, and prices paid are as follows:

TransTube Special 212 - solid state 130W 2x12, 3 channel, ext. speaker jack for 220W with cab - $550 new
            Classic - tube 50W 2x12, 1 channel (I use a distortion pedal with it), master volume, two 6L6GC power tubes, ext. speaker jack (not sure total output with cab) - $200 used
            Classic - tube 50W 4x10, same specs as 212 but no ext. speaker jack - under $250 used
            sigpic

Comment

Thanks lads. Also, Thanks Rich for remembering stuff about me! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
              I think I'm probably going to go with a Peavey if I can find one cheap enough [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
              Which shouldnt be much of a problem, cos they're a reasonably large company. I tried a dodgy old one at my college and was quite keen on the sound. But it was really unstable, itd just cut out. I know other ones wouldnt do that, Im just saying.
              The only thing thats putting me off getting a Peavey is the fact that its a Peavey lol. Now I know they make the 5150 and the XXX but Ive always seen them as crappy practice amp makers. Ah well, Ill go and try out a Peavey asap then! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
              Thanks again lads

Jamesy

Comment

I know what you mean James! I live in Mississippi, and it's hard to believe that the "homegrown" amps are competitive
                with the majors, but they are!

Any amp that cuts out could well just need the pots and/or effects loops contacts cleaned. For the loop just patch a 1' cord between the send and return and if the cutouts stop, there's your problem. Of course, still frown and mention that this will require repair, and talk down the seller! You can probably fix the loop cutout with contact cleaner and Q-Tips; just spray the send and return jacks thoroughly and swab them
                out with the Q-Tips, or just leave the patch cord in.

If you see a Peavey Triumph PAG or Ultra
                used at a decent price, those are both very nice 3-channel TUBE amps that just didn't catch on. They are the forerunners of the XXX in that regard, though not as darkly voiced and not as buzzy sounding in their high-gain sounds either, which is a GOOD thing! Make sure
                they come with the footswitch though! They aren't much use without it, and it's
                a 7-pin DIN conector so you can't use a
                generic replacement. I'm waiting for my
                footswitch to come back from Peavey service now, so I just have the Ultra and Clean channels available from the front button, and can't get the Crunch channel.
                Note that earlier Triumphs don't have a button on the front panel, and ONLY have the Ultra channel if you don't have the footswitch. This isn't as bad as it sounds because the Ultra channel is the brutal distortion channel anyway, but it's nice to be able to switch to clean at least.

Anyway, enough blithering! Try Peavey, and overlook the cosmetics; they are what will get you good sound for less money,
                and the sound is what counts! Good luck!

Rich
                Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Cheers Rich, I think I will go for a Bandit. Whats putting me off an all valve one is that you really have to drive them to get a decent tone dont you? And that means loud. I need an amp that can do bedroom and small gigs.
                  Actually, I have a mate who has rich parents who has a Bandit 112... I spent three days arguing with him about it, he said it didnt have distortion and he was going to throw it away, it was like "look for a knob that says 'gain', turn it up..." and then he decided to keep it lol [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] . But I think its a bit loud for him, and he's sh*t on the guitar lol, so I might go and buy a cheap 20w practice amp, and swap it him.... Thats an idea... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Deceptive Jamesy [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I played a Transtube Bandit 112 in the store once and was very impressed with it for what it is. You can get some serious screamin' tone out of it. Certainly good value for the dollar.

What do y'all think of the Transtube EFX amps?

Comment

I had a Transtube Bandit 112 for years. Really great Thrash sound at low volumes, but in live situations the gain kinda weakened (which is actually a good thing for clarity's sake). Because my EQ was set to be slightly bass-heavy, the gain at higher volumes would kinda fart out, so I had to back off the EQ live, and crank it for bedroom.

Then one day it sh1t a brick at a gig during a song, and I swapped to my Fender RocPro1000 head (patched into the Peavey's speaker) and then later traded the crapper for a new pair of Peavey SP1G monitors [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Look into the Fender RocPro 750 or 1000 combo also.

Newc
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I cant imagine anything from Fender having a suitable high gain tone?.....
                        Would I still lose the gain if running it through a cab at a lower volume level?

Jamesy

Comment

I can't answer the lower gain thru cabinet at lower volume question, but the
                          Roc Pro 1000 is very similar to a Marshall VS100, but with a nicer clean sound. 3 channels, 12AX7 preamp. The Roc Pro 750 is similar to the 1000 but it
                          only has 2 channels, 65 watts and DOES NOT have an external speaker output. I would avoid it for that reason, and because Fenders are probably more costly in the UK than Peaveys. I don't doubt Newc's bad experience with the Bandit but
                          every make and model has some failures. Peavey is well known for its reliability,
                          wheras Fenders are rather well-known for taking a sh1t if you mismatch the impedance on an extension cabinet. They
                          generally want no lower than 8 ohms for an extension and can blow up runing a 4 ohm cab. A Peavey can be harmed by mismatched impedance too, but Fenders seem very prone to this problem.
                          Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Maybe try to find a Carvin SX50, SX100 or SX200. There's the new SX300 out, but that's three channels.
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Cheers lads, But I think Im gonna go for a Peavey, as theyre more common, and I dont really want to give Fender my money (hides from McD [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ) j/k [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
                              Joe mate, tell me more about those Carvins...

Jamesy

Comment

Working...
                              X